Friday, March 12, 2010

Lindsay Sollers Interview




Like any guy who sees her, I first became a Lindsay Sollers fan because.... well she is incredibly beautiful. For the longest time I was just this guy who knew about her and admired her. Then I started to learn about the Industry and it went to more of a respect for Lindsay Sollers the competitor. Since then, I have gotten to know her enough to the point that now it is also respect for Lindsay Sollers the woman. She is still beautiful, she is till a great competitor, but she is an amazing woman. She is kind, intelligent, inspiring, encouraging, and much more. I firmly believe that 2010 is Lindsay's year. She got it off to a great start with her impressive 2nd place finish in Figure Class C at the 2010 Arnold Amateurs, and against a great group of competitors. Lindsay isn't a case of "if" she gets her Pro card, with Lindsay is simply "when" she gets her Pro card. I have met a lot of people in the industry, some good and a couple bad, but Lindsay is someone I will never say a bad word about, and anyone who would, doesn't have a clue. Lindsay is easy to root for, and when she wins her Pro card, there will be a whole lot of people rooting.


Q: First, Lindsay, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: It's my pleasure to do so. Thank you Jason for all your support for the
women in this industry! :)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you
are from, things like that.
A: I hail from the town of Stafford, VA. It was country during my childhood
years but it's now booming and more of a city. I reside in Gainesville, VA
now which is about an hour drive from where I grew up. My parents are
divorced and my mother remarried so I have a pretty big family. I am the
youngest of five; I have three sisters and a brother and two wonderful
nephews.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: I have always been super athletic from the time I was a little girl. I grew
up playing softball mostly but when I entered middle school I picked up
other sports as well. I played basketball and volleyball in high
school..mainly to stay conditioned for softball which is where my true
talent lies.

Q; What initially led you into the gym?
A: I've been training in the gym since high school. My coaches were always
adamant about staying in shape...so when we weren't in season...we were in
the gym three days a week for lifting and conditioning.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you
started to see results?
A: I am driven by and strive on my athleticism so lifting and training has
always come easy to me. I've always enjoyed lifting but never took the time
to educate myself on nutrition so for a long time I never saw any results.
It wasn't until I decided to start competing that I got my nutrition in
check and began to see results.


Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you
decide to compete?
A: As before...I've done something in the gym since high school. Certainly not
to the extent I do now but it was something! :) I attended a show about
four years ago in support of a friend of mine who was competing! I was in
complete awe of the women and their physiques! I was amazed that a woman
could transform her body into that and I got hooked! I thought to myself
that this was something I could definitely do! So I hired a trainer,
trained hard for a year, started eating right and boom I was on stage for
the first time in 2007!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time,
and how about now?
A: My family have been my biggest supporters from day one! My friends didn't
understand at first why I would put myself through that kind of
training/dieting and sacrifice pretty much everything in life! But now after
knowing all the hard work I put into this and my passion for it..they are
100% supportive of it! I'm truly blessed and humbled to be surrounded by
such incredible people and sad to say I feel terrible that they are often
neglected during comp season but I know they understand!

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I think it was very much what I expected...some very nice, helpful
competitors and some not so nice competitors! I had a friend of mine, who
was a seasoned competitor with me for guidance! The only thing that
surprised me was how natural it came to me! I've always been of the quiet
nature..sort of like the unsung hero. I don't necessarily like the spotlight
so I thought I would be completely overwhelmed with anxiety and nervousness.
I did get the jitterbugs when I first walked out but the minute I hit that
first pose I was cool..it felt amazing to be up there!


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2007 NGA Potomac Cup (July 25th, 2007): 5th place – Short Class
*2008 NPC Pittsburgh (May 2, 2008): 7th place – Class B
*2008 NPC East Coast Natural Tournament of Champions (June 14, 2008): 1st
place – Figure Class A, Overall Figure Title
*2009 NPC JR USAS (Pro Qualifer, May 23, 2009): 16th place – Figure Class C
*2009 NPC VA/DC State Bodybuilding, Figure, and Bikini Championships (August
1, 2009): 1st place – Figure Class A, Overall Figure Title
*2009 NPC East Coast Classic Championships (August 8, 2009): 5th place
–Figure Class A
*2010 Arnold Amateur Championship (March 4-7, 2010): 2nd place – Figure Class
C

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would have to say that my shoulders and back are my best body parts! If
you ask others...they will say my butt! ;) I am blessed to have very broad
shoulders and a wide back so it definitely helps with the illusion of a
small waist!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: My favorite part to train is shoulders specifically lateral movements to cap
the shoulders...something I like to call the tennis ball effect!! :)

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter
it for contest prep?
A: In season my normal training routine is a five day split hitting each body
part once a week with the exception of legs. I throw in leg shaping
exercises as a second leg workout since this is my weakest area. During the
offseason...I compound my workouts into push/pull movements to break the
monotony of my inseason training. As far as dieting goes I eat pretty clean
all year round and inseason of course the diet gets real tight!

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the
most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I tend to get very positive feedback from the men in the gym. Just
recently..a guy pulled me aside and told me that he was extremely impressed
at how my physique has developed over the last four years of training! I
don't really hear negative reactions but I'm not naive to think that there
isn't any. Generally I don't really hear negative comments or
reactions...but I'm not naive to the fact that there aren't any. I mean I'm
not blind...I see the stares and evil eyes I get from some women! lol

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or
comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I can't stand when people call me skinny..mostly people outside of the
industry. They don't realize the amount of lean muscle mass I have.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women you train and compete or
the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Lifting heavy weights will not turn you into a man! Women are just not
genetically capable and don't have the composition of a man's body to pack
on that kind of muscle!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part is the journey leading to the stage. Knowing all the hard
work, discipline, determination, sweat that goes into preparing for
contest..I LOVE IT! The worst part is only having a few minutes on stage to
showcase that journey!



Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: There is a long list of competitors I admire..but I would say two of my
favorites are Erin Stern and Gina Alliotti!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza and French fries! :)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Train hard and be consistent...don't be afraid to pick up the heavy weights!

Q: You are obviously a very beautiful woman. Is fitness modelling something
of big interest to you?
A: Absolutely! Aside from stepping on stage...there is nothing better than
capturing that lean sexy body of muscle! :)

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I just enjoy spending as much time with family and friends when I'm not
training. I'm an avid sports fan and enjoy staying active and being
involved in recreational sports!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lindsay Sollers.
A: I work a typical 8-5 job so I'm up at 4 am to get to the gym for
training/cardio before work and then return after for more cardio if I'm in
contest prep. I get home around 8..pack my food, gym bags, and try to get
to bed by 9-9:30.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm an accountant...I know I don’t fit the stereotype...I'm the exception!
:)

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: I absolutely love Will Smith..can't get enough of him! Gosh there are so
many movies I love it's hard to narrow it down! I'll go with the default
answer of Top Gun..love it! :) I don't watch TV very often..but without a
doubt I DVR Grey's Anatomy every week and when I have time, usually on the
weekend, I will sit down to watch the episode! I certainly can't narrow
down my favorite musician but I'm a country girl at heart!

Q: Describe Lindsay Sollers in five words.
A: Determined, Disciplined, Competitive, Driven, Smart

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: 2010 is going to be a great year! Competing at the Arnold Amateur tops the
list (Took 2nd Place in Figure Class C)..but look for me to take the
National stage by storm this year..starting with JR NATS! :)

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I would just like to thank all my friends and fans for their endless
support..it means the world to me and helps me more than you know!
Also...would like to give a shout out the SO HOTT modeling team! We are a
dynamic group of ladies in the industry and always looking to recruit
more..so if you are interested please get in touch with me! :)

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are
they getting in Lindsay Sollers the athlete and competitor?
A: As many know this is not an inexpensive sport so any type of sponsorship is
very beneficial. I can be reached at lmsollers@live.com. I thrive on my
athleticism and put everything I have into bringing my best physique to the
stage every time. It's more than just competing for me. I have people come
to me all the time and tell me how much I motivate them to live a healthier
lifestyle and exercise more. So if at least I'm helping to motivate others
than I'm happy!


Q: Lindsay, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last
words before you go?
A: Thank you so much Jason...it has been my pleasure. You are a blessing to
all women in this industry!

Some last words...Just believe in yourself and you can achieve anything!
Never stop smiling! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment