Monday, March 15, 2010

Amy Melone Interview


Not long ago I did an interview with an amazing woman named Megan Melone. After doing that interview I became familiar with her sister Amy. Well Amy, I have learned is equally amazing. Her goal was to lose 100lbs. Not only did Amy lose that weight, but she has gone on to compete in Figure. That is what you call hard work and dedication. It also is inspiring. With these interviews there are some women I want to promote, some women I want to give their deserved credit, and some, with both Amy and Megan, who I want everyone to know about. So here is my interview with a truly inspirational woman, Amy Melone




Q: First Amy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for having me!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are
from, things like that.
A: I live in the burbs of Chicago with my little sissy. Work as an Esthetitician for a spa in NW Indiana.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: I was definitely not an athlete. I was more into art and my singing.


Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: What led me to the gym initially was my mission to loose almost 100 lbs.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started
to see results?
a: Training was something I picked up and loved right away!

q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you
decide to compete?
a: I was training consistently with weights for 4 years. I had always admired athletic bodies and wanted to be one myself! The insecure fat girl in my head would discourage me from pursuing it though.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and
how about now?
A: I'm lucky to have people around me that are very supportive! Of course having a sister who lives with me and also who competes has been a real blessing! My boyfriend Mike withstood much of my "freakouts" during my first prep, and was and is my #1 fan! I don't know what I would do without him!!


Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: Being a singer I love being on stage! It was like performing to me! All the excitement backstage and bright lights onstage. I went into it for experience and to have fun so nothing really surprised me! I had a blast!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
* NANBF Great Northern Figure class b-3rd place
* OCB Mr/Ms. natural Indiana 4th place novice


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Thanks to great genetics- definitely my back!!!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training shoulders. My favorite exercise is db presses, I feel incredibly strong afterwards!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it
for contest prep?
A: My training doesn't change to much, I add a little more cardio and superset a little more but nothing to crazy.
My diet gets ultra tight- NO CHEATS! I monitor daily and my coach adjusts accordingly.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most
common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Mixed. Men think it's cool and start talking to me about it, women can be a little rude and let me know that in their opinion it's too "manly". I just respond by asking them If I look manly, their response is always no! Nuff said.LOL

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or
comment you are most sick of hearing ?
A: "You must be in the gym ALL the time!"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women you train and compete or the
one thing you wish people understood?
A: Our diet is not deprivation! We eat foods that all people should be eating for a long, healthy life! During contest prep we cut the cheats out and measure food exactly according to the macronutrients laid out for us, that's it!!!!


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best and worst part is the process. It's incredible to watch the body change so dramatically and the satisfaction of knowing that when you're on stage, you are at your best at that time in your life! The process can also be stressful on those around you, mood swings, not going out for dinner with people because it's way too tempting. But then again, you find activities that aren't food related to do.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Monica Brandt,Ava Cowan, Melissa Kelley to name a few.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Ever since I've started competing, I've started to crave cheeseburgers!!

Q; If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Do your research on other competitors and hire a good coach!!!

Q: Any set goals you have as far as your competitive career?
A: I plan on taking this year off to work on weak spots and come back in 2011 strong!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to sing,ride horses,read about ancient history.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I've lost about 100 pounds.

Q: Describe Amy Melone in five words.
A: Loyal, Dedicated, Shy, Trustworthy, Supportive.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I would love to be an advocate for health and fitness. That was a motivating factor in competing. To get my face and voice out there so that I could inspire others to attain the health that they deserve!


Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I would like to promote a healthy lifestyle!!! With obesity becoming an epidemic, I think it's a priority to educate children and adults on proper nutrition!!!!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors. If so how can they reach you.
A: E-mail me. makeupqueen74@aol.com

Q: Amy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words
before you go?
A: With dedication and some hard work, anyone can attain the body they've always wanted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment