Thursday, March 25, 2010

IFBB Pro Jeni Briscoe Interview





IFBB Pro should tell you all you need to know about Jeni Briscoe. Jeni is a beautiful woman with an amazing physique. I was already impressed so much by what I saw, but strangely, somehow I had only seen front pictures. After some time I saw photos from behind, and her back is really incredible. But to talk about her physique and stage presence, only tells the story of Jeni the Pro and Jeni the Figure competitor, and there is so much more to her than that. First and foremost, I have found Jeni to be a very kind person and someone who is easy to root for. Jeni also runs Todays Techniques, a great training facility. You can tell Jeni loves to train others and takes great pride in helping them and seeing them achieve their goals. Jeni, simply put, is the kind of woman who makes me happy and honored to do these interviews and allow you to see more of these women than just their outer appearance. Here is your chance to know more about Jeni Briscoe.





Q: First, Jeni, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you again for having this great site!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A:I'm from a small northern town in BC Canada. I'm the oldest of two daughters.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I played fastball in the summer and curling in the winter. And as I got older I started to play slow pitch. It was a great social way to get some exercise.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Growing up my mom always did aerobics, so when it was time for me to start doing something to stay in shape I went to our local gym for the classes. I started right after I graduated. I didn't know any girls who lifted weights at that time. Once I was there I saw a few girls getting ready for a show and I was really intrigued. That's when I started with the weight training.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, I instantly fell in love. My body changed fast and I became really strong. It was the best feeling in the world. I was always just tall and skinny. To build up my shape became an obsession.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: I had been training for 5 years before I saw my first bodybuilding show. There was only fitness and female bodybuilding back then. I loved how the ladies looked. It took me two more years after watching my first show to finally get on the stage. I ended up doing 3 shows that year, going all the way to Nationals. Placing 6th in the middle weight class.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: I've always had a great support system at home. They may not understand what I do or why I do it, but are behind me 110%. The year I won my pro card, close to 30 people drove 6 hours to come and watch and cheer me on. I could feel their love from the stage. They were so loud I couldn't even hear the judges!!

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I was a super shy person, so getting on that stage was very hard for me. But I've never been one to walk away from a challenge. I placed 3rd at my first show and I was so proud of myself. I've never looked back. I knew from that first one that this is what I wanted to do in life.

Q: What did it mean to you to win your IFBB Pro card?
A: It meant everything to me. Every minute, every hour, every day I spent in the gym was so worth that moment. Like I said earlier to have all my friends and family there cheering me on was so exciting. When they announced that I had won the theater exploded! Earning a pro card in Canada is very difficult so I don't take it lightly. They year I won there was only two given. One to me for the overall and one to the 1st place in masters. I was very proud.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I started competing in 2000 in Bodybuilding, but switched to Figure in 2003
* 16th-2009 Sacramento Pro show
* 13th - 2008 Tournament of Champions Pro Show
* 20th - 2008 Europa Pro Show
* 1st Tall & Overall - 2007 Canadian Nationals (IFBB Pro Card - Figure)
* 3rd Tall - 2006 North Americans
* 2nd Tall - 2006 Canadian Nationals
* 3rd Tall - 2005 Canadian Nationals
* 8th Tall- 2005 Emerald cup
* 1st Tall - 2003 BC Provincials
* 2nd Tall - 2003 Kelowna Western Canadians

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I love my back and shoulders and abs. But I'm known at the gym to have and people
want a "Briscoe Bootie".

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: Again back and shoulders.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I've had to change my training regime alot over the past few years. After winning my pro card. I had to stream line my muscle more to be competitive in the pro circuit. I was a bit too bulky. So I do alot more interval type training, MET style training. High intensity, lighter weights. Also cardio machines are my best friend throughout my 16 week prep time. Diet is really clean. I like to carb cycle. And if things are going good I get a cheat meal once per week.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: At first negative. But in 2001 I started hosting my first show here in FSJ. Its a BC qualifying event. So over the past 9 years, it has really grown and this town of mine has really welcomed it with open arms. Everyone comes out to watch, all age groups from young to old. So for the most part its a positive thing. People
who wouldn't normally even try it are getting on stage. There is for sure still the nay sayers. I still get weird looks when I walk through a store close to contest time. My husband thinks its funny to walk behind me and watch how people stare at a woman with muscles. It does get some mixed reactions.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: My favorite is when people ask if I workout. I get really tired of people asking what I eat, or if I starve myself. That one I get asked everyday. Going to the grocery store is always fun. People are always trying to look to see whats in my cart.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women you train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That we don't starve ourselves to get lean. I eat 7 times a day, balanced meals. Closer to a show I cut back/out my carbs, but for the most part I still eat more than the average person. It upsets me when I get accused of not eating. I"m always eating! That its takes hours and hours of training, perfect diet and dedication. There is no easy way or magic pill.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing is all the wonderful people you meet along the way. I've made some wonderful friends through this sport. The worst part is the diet and the moodiness that can come with it. But after 12 years it does get easier.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: The first time I saw Rachel Mclish was the first time I was hooked on the female, muscular form. I wanted to look like that. Of course I love Jenny Lynn and Monica Brant. When I switched from Bodybuilding to Figure, they were what I wanted to look like and looked up too. But to be honest I look up to anyone in this sport. It takes will powder and dedication and anyone who can do it year after year has my respect.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Anyone who knows me knows I'm a quarter pounder from McDonalds freak. Gross I know, but I love them!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: To be able to put 100% into training and diet. If you have too much going on in life at the moment don't try to add this too it.

Q: Can you talk about Today's Techniques? What it is, where people can find out more?
A: We are heading into our 10th year at Todays Techniques. I moved the gym into my own building 2.5 years ago. (our 4th expansion) We have 18,000 square feet and are the largest gym in town. We offer over 100 classes per month, a full fitness facility, separate cardio room, tanning, child minding, and lots of certified personal trainers. Our website is www.todaystechniques.com We're also the host of the Northern Classic Bodybuilding, Fitness, Figure and Bikini show. This year its on June 12/2010

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Just hanging with my friends and family. I really don't have alot of down time, so when I get some I'm really grateful.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jeni Briscoe.
A: My day starts at 4am. I usually open up the gym and hit my cardio before I start a full day of training clients. I train in house and long distance. With hosting my own show, being an IFBB Pro Figure and the BCABBA Figure rep, it all keeps me very busy. I put in long days. Usually work until 7:30/8pm. If I'm really lucky, I'll sneak home for a nap in the afternoon! I put in long hours, but at the end of the day I get to work at my dream job. Helping people reaching their goals. Whether its losing weight, building muscle or hitting the stage. I've very proud of all my clients.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I am still really shy. Its way easier for me to strut my stuff on stage than
it is to talk in front of a group of people! This sometimes gets mistaken as snobby, but really I'm just shy.

Q: Describe Jeni Briscoe in five words.
A: Hard Working, Dedicated, Always There.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I'm looking at the NY pro in July for sure and probably a few in the fall.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: My website www.todaystechniques.com I am a BioX sponsored athlete. I love their products. http://www.nutrition-zone.com/athlete_info.php?aId=16. I'm also a part time monavie rep http://jenibriscoe.mymonavie.com cant live without my BioX supplements or monavie!
I also have a fan page on facebook now too that people can stay up to date with. http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeni-Briscoe-IFBB-Pro-Figure/355045112573

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Jeni Briscoe the athlete and competitor?
A: A competitor can never have to many sponsors. I am very grateful to my BioX sponsors and love their products. I've been very lucky to be signed with them for years and years. todaystechniques@yahoo.com


Q: Jeni, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks again for letting me tell my story.

No comments:

Post a Comment