Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gabrielle Aguilar Interview



Photo Credits:
Photos 1-4: RX Muscle/Jeff Binns


Still a few months short of her seventeenth birthday, Gabrielle Aguilar has not stepped on the figure stage twice, most recently winning the teen division at the Europa Super Show. She made a big impression on people for obvious reasons. Gabrielle has an amazing attitude and her head on straight and has unlimited potential.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: My mom has always been really healthy and she worked out. She got me a membership at the gym. I started weightlifting and stuff. My mom got a personal trainer, Belinda Hope, and she got sessions for me with Belinda. Belinda talked about figure and competing and I got interested. I started intense training from there.

Q: Did you know right away that competing was something you would wanna do?
A: No, because I was mainly just working out for swimming and wanted to get in shape. Belinda was always talking about it and it seemed interesting.

Q: When you did decide to compete, were your family and friends o.k. with the idea?
A: My dad didn't really like it. Neither of my parents did. After they saw me compete and do well, they started to get used to it and now they are on board.

Q: The first time doing a prep, did anything surprise you about the process?
A: Not really. I am good with my diet so it was easy to stay on it. I always workout every day so that wasn't a problem. The only thing was at the end I would do cardio for forty minutes every day and I don't like cardio.

Q: You mentioned Belinda, how much did it help to have her, a great coach and pro who has been through this so many times?
A: It was amazing. After my first competition I got in a mental slump and she was very supportive. She always has my back and helps me when I don't wanna work out. She is the best coach ever.

Q: Were you nervous the first time on stage?
A: Yes I was. I always watched posing and practice but I had a feeling on stage I would forget my poses. Belinda was very good about every week doing posing and it got drilled into my mind.

Q: You just won the teen division at the Europa, how happy were you with what you brought to the stage?
A: I was very happy. I was very nervous at first cause it is a big show and a lot of people watching. I was very happy with the package I brought and the outcome.

Q: It is a big show, is it hard for someone so new to not get star struck with all the big names there?
A: Yeah, I was definitely nervous about that. Pros were there and big photographers. I tried to keep calm and my teammates helped keep me calm.

Q: From a lot of people there, I am told you made a really good impression, is it hard to not let that go to your head?
A: I try not to. I don't wanna be one of those people that turn into a different person because of their fame. I am not gonna let it go to my head no matter what happens.

Q: Do you know when you want to compete next?
A: Yes, my next show is July 12th in Ft. Lauderdale.

Q: From the Europa, is there any area you want to be better?
A: My legs! I have a very hard time bringing my legs up. I don't like to do legs, I don't like the feeling. My sister is gonna help me cause legs are her favorite. I hope to get bigger legs, more muscular.

Q: On the flip side, is there a part you feel is your best?
A: My back, I love my back.

Q: Being the age you are, do you ever feel you are missing out on things people your age are doing in order to live this lifestyle?
A: No, I love this lifestyle and I wouldn't change it. I like bringing my meals to school and getting looked at funny. I would rather eat healthy and get stared at and look good.

Q: When you are in the gym, do you get the stares or attention from people?
A: Yeah I do. I don't pay any attention because they are distracting, but I don't like it at all.

Q: If you could spend a day training with someone you have never trained with, who would it be?
A: Dana Linn Bailey. She is really funny. I met her at Europa. I would love to train with her and maybe make a video for her Youtube page.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: Belinda because she is my coach and she is awesome. My teammates, they are all supportive and I love them all. My sister, she does my hair, makeup and tan for every show. My parents for supporting me in this sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment