Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Janet Kaufman Interview





Janet Kaufman contacted me about doing an interview. Boy, am I glad she did. SHe is a beautiful woman, and has an amazing physique. Her legs are something to be envied and among the best I have seen.But don't focus to much on her legs because you will miss the rest of an amazing overall physique. Simply put, Janet, is one of the people that makes you proud to be involved in and a part of the sport of bodybuilding.


Q: First, Janet, I want to thank you for taking the time out to do this.
A: Thanks for the opportunity.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where
> you are from, things like that.
A: I was born in Kenitra Morocco. My dad worked for the Navy so I grew up as a Navy Bratt. I live in Lewiston Idaho where I work as a purchasing clerk for the Lewiston School District. I have two older brothers. I am married to Gene and we have two dogs (Dale and Sarge).

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I was never athletic. I tried sports in school like track and tennis but didn't very well at them.

Q: What got you into the gym to begin with and was bodybuilding the goal from day one?
A: I was visiting my family from college when my brother told me my ass was getting fat. The same visit he took me to my first bodybuilding show. From then on I was hooked.

Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: I trained with my brother at first and he showed me the basics. I did notice some changes but I made the mistake of not eating enough because I didn't want to get fat again. ( I had just dropped a lot of weight)

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete, and what made you decide to compete?
A: I knew I was going to compete when I was watching my first show. I told my brother that I was going to be on that stage in a year and sure enough I was.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time and how about now?
A: When I first started competing friends and family were real supportive but I think they thought it was just a phase. Now they ask so how long are you going to do this?

Q: Was the first contest what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I had a friend of mine that had competed before and she made sure I knew
what to expect. I was more fun that I thought it would be.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Wow where do I start. I have been competing for 23 years. My first show was in 1987 where I finished 2nd.
*2009- Nationals- Fort Lauderdale, Florida- 2nd middleweight
*2009- Master's Nationals- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 2nd Middleweight
*2008- Nationals- Atlanta, Georgia- 6th Middleweight
*2008- Master's Nationals- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 1st Middleweight
*2007- Nationals- Dallas, Texas- 3rd Middleweight
*2007- Master's Nationals- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania- 1st Middleweight
*2006- Nationals- Miami, Florida- 8th Middleweight
*2005- Nationals- Atlanta, Georgia- 5th Middleweight
*2005- USA Championships- Las Vegas, Nevada-3rd Middleweight
*2004- Evergreen States- Wenatchee, Washington- Middleweight and Overall Winner
*2003- Nationals- Miami, Florida- 15th Middleweight
*2000- USA Championships- Las Vegas, Nevada- 8th Lightweight
*2000- Junior Nationals- Houston, Texas- 4th Lightweight
*1998- NPC Northwest Bodybuilding Championships- Portland, Oregon- Qualified for Nationals
*1998- Emerald Cup- Seattle, Washington- 3rd Lightweight
*1995- Rocky Mountain States- Spokane, Washington- 1st Lightweight

Q: What do you consider your best body part or the one that gets the most
compliments?
A: I think my best body part is probably my chest but I think I get more compliments on my legs.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love to train legs.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you
alter it for contest prep?
A: I try to train heavy year long but closer to a show throw more superset and giant sets in the mix. my diet off season is very clean and then on Friday I cheat.Precontest it is much lower in carbs.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing is meeting people with the same passion and also watching your physique transform from week to week. The worst part is the traveling
since I live in Idaho the trips to get to the shows are lengthy not to mention expensive

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most
common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Positive

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment
you are sick of hearing?
A: "How much can you bench?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or the
thing you most wish people understood?
A: That we aren't feminine. I am very girlie girl.

Q: Do you think muscular women are more or less accepted by society today then five years ago?
A: I think they are more accepted today.

Q: Someone says to you "women should not be that muscular" how do you
respond?
A: "You are entitled to your opinion" It isn't for everyone.

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders?
A: Nicole Ball, Cathy Lefrancois, Debbie Bramwell.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza or cookies.

Q: I another woman told you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is
the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Make sure you eat enough. If I had done that when I started I would be a lot further ahead today.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I like to hunt and fish, camp, ride my Harley

Q: Describe a typical day in the life of Janet Kaufman.
A: I am up about 3 am shower, drink a protein drink and slowly wake up then I hit the gym about 5:30 and train until 7:15. I am at work by 7:30. go for a walk (weather permitting) at 10 am. Lunch at noon where I will eat then take a power nap or train a client. Then back to work until 4:30pm. Sometimes I go back to the gym to do my cardio if I am pre contest or I may train a client. Then I try to get home by6pm. Dinner and internet chat, then I try to get to bed by 9pm.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I am somewhat shy and insecure.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: I love Tom Hanks and my favorite movie is Sleepless in Seattle. My favorite TV show is Bones and NCIS and the food channel when dieting. I love all kinds of music but I am partial to Southern Rock.

Q: Describe Janet Kaufman in five words.
A: Laugh,Compassionate,Romantic,Driven,Disciplined.

Q: Any set plans coming up as far as competing or anything?
A: I am doing Masters Nationals in July and depending how that goes Nationals

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I want to thank Dave Palumbo for helping me with my prep. And everyone for being so supportive.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and
what are they getting in Janet Kaufman the athlete and competitor?
A: I am looking for sponsors to offset my travel and contest expenses. They can contact me through my facebook. Janet kaufman, Lewiston Idaho or email idmuscle1@q.com In Janet Kaufman they will get someone that professional, always in condition and passionate about what she does.

Q: Janet, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you I think you covered it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment