Saturday, January 9, 2010

Carmen Morales Interview

This is interview number 2 with one of the girls from the Nature Coast Girls Weightlifting Team in Brooksville Florida. This is Carmen Morales. I have communicated with Carmen many times, and for such a young woman, she is wise beyond her years. She is very intelligent and has a great grasp on things she talks about. She is very outgoing and a joy to talk with. She is someone who is bound to be a success at whatever she does in life. Also take a look at some of those lifts for a girl her size and age. As someone who is a fan of the fitness industry, if Carmen ever pursued it she would be an outstanding Figure competitor. So please read and find out more about this amazing young woman.


Q: First, Carmen, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: First,can you tell a little about yourself. Where you are from, family, what grade your in, where you go to school. Things like that.
A:Hello there, My name is Carmen Morales. I'm from Florida. I'm a 12th grader attending Nature Coast Tech and I'm part of the Girls Weight-Lifting Team. I'm in the 110 weight class and I weigh 107, I'm 5'1. I have a huge family and I got into playing sports because of my brothers.

Q: Any plans for college or anything, and what you want to study?
A: After high school I plan on doing 2 years at a community college and then transferring into a University, get my masters in either Sociology,Psychology or Clinical Social Worker.

Q: Not a lot of girls are into weightlifting, especially at your age. What got you interested in it?
A: What got me into Weight-lifting was my track coach, Coach Wilson. He's always been a mentor to me. He told me all about weight-lifting and how it would help me in track and so I decided to try it out. I remember him telling me, "Its not about how much you can lift, it's about technique and how much you're willing to be the best you can be".

Q: What is your favorite part of lifting?
A: My absolute favorite is "CLEAN & JERK".. I TOTALLY WICKEDLY LOVE IT!. I just love the fact that its mostly legs, I have pretty strong legs lol.

Q: Can you share any of your personal best lifts?
A: My personal best in bench press is 95 lbs and in clean & jerk its 110 lbs. That's as of right now.

Q: Do you have anyone who inspires you in your lifting. Maybe someone famous or someone you know?
A: Shirley Madera is amazing, she comes in and helps us out, gives us tips and just supports the entire team, its truly great. Also my two coaches Coach Wilson and Mrs. Elliot, who are always there for help. Who stay late with us. They're always there when we become champs and when we're at the bottom working our butts to get to the top.

Q: It is a sad fact, that society kind of frowns on women weight training. Why do you think that is, and how can we change it?
A: I believe that its because they feel women are suppose to be girly, nails done, not muscular, just "PREPPY"?.. I believe that you can be muscular, I like to use "TONE", and be "girly". In order to see change, women who power lifts need to continue doing what they do best and not show society that their negative remarks hurt. We has women, as individuals need to show society that we are beautiful even if they think we look like man. We need to just keep coasting and keep proving them wrong. (:

Q: Is lifting something your family and friends support you in?
A: Totally, It's a funny thing, at first my mom was like"are you sure you're not going to get manly". I told her I wasn't going to be "manly", but " tone and better looking than the American Eagle models. But, yes my brothers and sisters think its amazing that I'm' tiny but yet strong.

Q: Is this something you want to make part of your life forever, or maybe get into something else like bodybuilding or fitness?
A: At one point I wanted to be a personal trainer, I don't think I would like to make it a career, simply because I feel my purposes.

Q: Someone comes up to you and says "women should not lift weights". How do you respond to them?
A: Then men shouldn't be nurses, hairstylist, or clothes designers. To me that response will hopefully show them of ignorant they are.

Q: Is there one aspect of weight lifting or one specific part of it that you think is your strongest?
A: Anything to do with my legs, I'm pretty much a beast (:

Q: How often do you train. What is your normal training like?
A: I work out 5 days a week, 2 hours a day.


Q: Do you think there are any misconceptions about women who lift weights or anything you wish people would understand?
A: People misunderstand that women who lift are "women" not men. That besides all the negativity, we are profound individuals who deserve a bit more respect then what people give us.

Q: Is there one specific question you wish people would quit asking or comment you are sick of hearing about your lifting?
A: "WOW.. you must be really strong, look at your arms!." My arms are ripped but I can't bench press as much as people think I can.

Q: Outside of weight lifting, is there any other sports you play?
A: I use to play volley-ball, and gymnastics, but now I just run track and weight-lifting.

Q: Let's find out a little about you. What are your favorite movies?
A: Notebook! anndd Bind side.

Q: Favorite actors?
A: Johnny Depp<3

Q: Favorite TV shows?
A: CSI Miami and Brothers & Sisters.

Q: Favorite musicians?
A: A LOT.

Q: You are told you can have anything you want for dinner. What are you having made?
A: Big mac, Fries and a milkshake.

Q: Best and worst subject in school?
A: Best: History and English. Worst: Math

Q: Favorite athletes or sports teams?
A: Boston Red Sox.

Q: One person in history you wish you could have met?
A: Leonardo Da Vinci.


Q: Tell me one moment in your life that you are most proud of.
A: Understand my priorities and turning my grades around and working hard to graduate high school in June.

Q: If one of your friends who has never lifted a weight came up to you and said they wanted to start lifting, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: Follow your heart, there will always be people that will try and bring you down. There will always be people who will make remarks, but its your job to do what you have to do and do it to the best of your ability.

Q: What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
A: That I love to eat... A LOT!

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I'm part of a International Human Powered Submarine Team, I'm scuba certified and I love to go water-skiing and spear fishing and I love the beach.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in your life.
A: School, Practice (either weight-lifting or track,) and then work. On the weekends I help my mom out with her organization which helps needy children in our community.

Q: Carmen thanks for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment