Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ariel Madera Interview

This is the third and final interview in the three part series with girls from the Nature Coast Girls Weightlifting Team. This is Ariel Madera. I met Ariel because her mom is competitive bodybuilder Shirley Madera and SHirley did one of my first interviews. I think the world of Shirley and ahve so much respect and admiration for her, so I had to take this opportunity to find out about ehr daughter. Well, Ariel is just the same. Intelligent, outgoing, determined, and a beuatiful young woman. I am very honored to avhe met her. I acutally asked jsut her to do the interview, and she is such a thoughfull person, she actually, instead of getting all the "spotlight" asked me to include members of her team. She is very impressive with her lifting to. I know when I was that age I coulnd't bench 120lbs. SO please read this and find out about this amazing woman and I promose you will be impressed.



Q: First,can you tell a little about yourself. Where you are from, family, what grade your in, where you go to school. Thigs like that.
A: My name is Ariel-Kristine Madera. I am from Brooklyn, New York but moved to Florida when I was 15 months old. I am an only child to my parents Shirley and Rich Madera. Im currently a senior at Nature Coast Technical High School where I will soon graduate as a CNA and planning to attend USF.

Q: Any plans for college or anything, and what you want to study?
A: I totally just answered this question in number 1 haha. Yes, I would like to attend USF, major in Nursing and minor in Criminology. This is all a way of getting into medical school for Medical Examiner.

A: Not a lot of girls are into weightlifting, especially at your age. What got you interested in it?
> Well, my mother Shirley is a body builder and seeing how happy it made her got me interested. Thats about the time when I found out that we had a weightlifting team at my school. I tried it out and it turns out I love it. Its something Im good at, it maked me feel good and look good too. Just another way to stay in shape.

Q: What is your favorite part of lifting?
A: I would have to say benching or cleaning. Also when my max goes up. Its exciting. I love getting stronger, being able to place at our meets is amazing.

Q: Can you share any of your personal best lifts.
A: At our first meet, I benched 105 which was my best lift for benching. At our 2nd meet I cleaned 105, new record. Recently though my mother took me to the gym and I actually benched 120 so hopefully my maxes will continue to go up.

Q: Do you have anyone who inspires you in your lifting. Maybe someone famous or someone you know?
A: I would have to say my mother Shirley Madera and some friends, Karen Taylor, Jesse Durrum, Shayne Cahill, and Shane Tarbox.

Q: It is a sad fact, that society kind of frowns on women weight training. Why do you think that is, and how can we change it?
A: I believe that society views women weight training as just a sport that men should only do because of the fact that men have done it so long and the point was to get muscular. That women that weight train will get big and bulky like men do, but what society does not understand is that women will not get big and bulky because we were not built that way. Unless you take supplements to enhance your muscules, you will not build muscle like guys do.Testostrone in men is what help muscles to grow and because women do not have a large amount of this hormone we will not develop muscle like them. We can change this view by showing them what we look like as young girls that weight lift, how we are not muscular and how it is a fun way of keeping in shape.

Q: Is lifting soemthing your family and friends support you in?
A: My mom is my main support. Other major support comes from friends such as my teammates, Tiffany Bounmysai, Ashley Hudd, and personal trainers, Karen Taylor, Jesse Durrum, Shayne Cahill, and Shane Tarbox.

Q: Is this something you want to make part of your life forever, or maybe get into something else like bodybuilding or fitness?
A: I would say maybe. I would like to do fitness but I have other goals in mind like college and my career. I will however continue to stay in shape.

Q: Someone comes up to you and says "women should not lift weights". How do you respond to them?
A: I simply respond by saying, I respect your opinion but as for me it is something that is a part of my life and something I love to do and am good at it so I will continue to do it.

Q: Is there one aspect of weight lifting or one specific psrt of it that you think is your strongest?
A: I would have to say my legs are the strongest part on my body but I would say benching is that one specific part of weight lifting that is my strongest, hopefully my cleans will catch up haha.

Q: How often do you train. What is your normal training like?
A: I train everyday after school, also with my mother after school whenever I can. Training is challenging but it gets the work done. You definitely will sweat, Ill tell you that much.

Q:Do you think there are any misconceptions about women who lift weights or anything you wish people would understand?
A: I wish people would understand that it is for women just as it is for men and that you will not get manly if you weight lift.

Q: Is there one specific question you wish people would quit asking or comment you are sick of hearing about your lifting?
A: "Is it hard?" Of course its going to be hard, but its not unbearable, you lift at your own speed. Its a challege, its not an easy way out. You have to continue to push yourself to the limit and continue to try to lift heavier weights.

Q: Outside of weight lifting, is ther nay other sports you play?
A: I will be running track this year.

Q: Let's find out a little about you. What are your favorite movies?
A: I love G.I. Joe, Stomp the Yard, and Without A Paddle. Also love thrillers/ horror movies and comedies. Ha I also like to watch cartoon movies too. I recently saw The Princess and the Frog and actually cried haha.

Q: Favorite actors?
> Oh gosh, Channing Tatum, that boy is fine haha. I see every movie he is in. Also Seth Green, it seems to me that he gets carried off by some animal in every movie he is in.

Q: Favorite tv shows?
A: Anything on the Discovery Health channel, Cops, and I actually watch a lot of MTV.

A: Favorite musicians?
> Wow, like artists/ bands? Ne-Yo, Honor Society, A Day to Remember, Lil Wayne, a variety of artists and of genres of music. Pretty much anything besides country.

Q: You are told you can have anything you want for dinner. What are you having made?
A: Chinese!!!! Haha.

Q: Best and worst subject in school?
A: Hmmm my best subject would be Nursing and Teachers Aide if that counts haha. Worst, ugh science, can not stand that subject haha.

Q: Favorite athletes or sports teams?
> Micheal Phelps....he is the only one I know of ha. Besides a bunch of body builders...but I don't know how to spell their names? c(:

Q: One person in history you wish you could have met?
A: Ummmm not sure, meeting anyone in history would be an honor.

Q: Tell me one moment in your life that you are most proud of.
A: I would have to say seeing my mother do her first competition, seeing her happy for the first time in a long time. I am so proud of her for that, and I don't know if she really knows how proud of her I really am. I love you mom.

Q: If one of your friends who has never lifted a weight came up to you and said they wanted to start lifting, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: Never give up, you can do anything you set your mind too, don't lift too heavy to fast. Be careful, Ill support you no matter what.

Q: What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
A: Haha ummm Im only 5'0". People seem to get a kick out of that, I don't see why....oh and Im actually a really good dancer, which I also love doing.

Q: Any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Dancing lol other than that running I suppose haha.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in your life.
A: Its actually pretty boring, Wake up at 6, run 2 miles, take a shower, school, weightlifting practice, then gym.

Q: Before we wrap this up, I personally want to tell you as a 33 year old male, I have so much respect and admiration for you. It is people like you who are helping to prove gyms are for girls to, weight lifting is for girls to. Girls can be strong, and that doesn't mean they are any less of a girl. It is girls like you who will inspire a lot of other young women to start lifting, and to be healthy. You are a very special person, and I am so honored you took the time to do this. Do you have anything you want to add before you go.
A: Stay in shape, it will be the best decision of your life. No matter if its dancing, running, weightlifting, it is something that will benefit you in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment