Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Genie Sammons Interview







Genie Sammons is a beautiful Figure competitor I have had the pleasure of getting to know. Obviously by the photos you see she looks great. Imagine how great she will be in a couple years. She is also one of the nicest and most pleasurable people I have talked to. I was introduced to her through another competitor and am so glad I was. Genie is someone whose career I will follow as long as she competes, and after reading this I hope you will to. Start following her no, because one day she is going to be well known in the industry.

Q: Genie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. It is much appreciated.
A: You're very welcome! Thank you for asking me, and thanks for supporting this sport! :)

Q: Can you start out by just telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: Well, I was born and raised in Kentucky, and I still reside here.

Q: Before you got in the gym, were you an especially active or athletic person?
A: Most definitely! I was a cheerleader and a sprinter on the track team. I also did long jump, high jump, and triple jump! To this day, I still have issues running distances, but I love sprinting!

Q: What led to to the gym initially?
A: Well, in college, I was not the healthiest. My calories came mostly from beer and the occasional Burger King Quarter Pounder. I did not work out at all. I had no muscle tone. I was just small and soft! My husband, then boyfriend, was very into lifting weights and working out. He got me into the gym, and the rest is history! I loved every second of it! We worked out on campus, and the gym was very rough. The bars and plates were rusty. You came out of there with black hands and dirty shirts. It was awesome! :)

Q: A lot of times you see a beautiful woman like yourself start at the gym, and have trouble being taken serious. Was that a problem for you? Did you feel you had to prove you belonged?
A: I don't remember feeling out of place or noticing anything like that. I just hopped in and starting working out like one of the guys. I remember so many people confronting us saying they had never seen a girl lift the way I did, meaning heavy squats, bench, etc. I guess most of the girls used the nice Wellness Center with machines. I was into the iron from day one. However, I don't recall too many instances involving my looks. Oh crap. What does that say about my appearance?! LOL!

Q: Was competing the goal from day one, and if not, what led you to compete?
A: No, it wasn't. I had this tendency to sell myself short, and for the longest time, I never thought it was something that I could actually do. It didn't matter how many people asked me if I was a competitor or what I was training for... I didn't see it. I was just me. It wasn't until this year that I actually bit the bullet and went for it. My goal was, and hopefully will always be, to give it my all and enjoy the process. Mission accomplished! :)

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Well, my husband is my biggest supporter. I don't know where I would be without him! However, he can be the biggest road block. LOL! We feed off each other, and he misses our shared drinks and food while in prep. I hate feeling like I am taking those moments away from him. You don't hear too many people talk about that.

My dad doesn't know much about the sport, and I guess he is supportive. I know he supports whatever I do. We don't really talk about it, and that's okay. I don't push it on other people if it isn't there interest. I do have plenty of friends who are interested, and that is all I need. :)

Q: Was your first show what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: Oh my goodness. NO! No way!! I was not prepared. I was not dieted down enough. I could not believe the hard bodies! WOW! It was a huge show, and surprisingly I held my own, placing at the bottom of the top half. I was ecstatic with those results, because I knew that physique wise, the package wasn't there.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Sure!!
2009 NPC Mike Francois Classic (May 2009) - 10th Figure Class B
2009 NPC Bluegrass Classic (October 24, 2009) - 1st Figure Class C (received National Qualification -- a dream come true!)
2009 NPC Monster Mash (October 31, 2009) - 1st Figure Class C & Overall!

Q: Why figure over, say bodybuilding?
A: I am a pretty tiny person.

Q: Do you have a body part you are most proud of or get the most compliments on?
A: My legs get a lot of compliments... and shoulders. I don't really have a part that I am most proud of. I accept them all, but I also see where they need improvements.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love deadlifts! Any variation!! and pull-ups. I guess back would be my favorite part to train then! :)

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: This varies. For my last two shows, and currently, I do a body part split. I really try to hammer my lagging parts more now that I am in the off season.

In regards to diet, I am so thankful to have Dr. Joe at Perfect Peaking handling my nutrition. I started working with him to prep for my last two shows. There was nothing crazy, no water depletion (I drank over a gallon of water on show day!!), no sodium loads/depletion, everything was so consistent. I didn't have to do any crazy carb cycling (which makes me ravenous). We just took things week by week, day by day, and he adjusted macronutrients when things slowed down or stalled. Oh goodness! I practically gush when I talk about his prep methods! LOL! Forgive me!! He's great!

Q: When someone sees your figure the first time or hears you train and compete, what it the common response? More positive or negative?
A: Indifferent. Confused. I live in the fattest small town (according to Forbes magazine) in the United States. If I talk to a stranger about it, they would probably think I was an alien from some far away planet. LOL!! ;)

Q: When they see or hear it the first time, what is the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: Oh gosh! "What do I do to get your legs?" My most common piece of advice, regardless of what body part, exercise, diet tip, I am giving is consistency. I really emphasize that!

Q: Are there any misconceptions about women who train and compete?
A: I am not huge (LOL! Far from it!), I am not manly, and I do not do steroids.

Q: Do you get a lot of friends asking for diet tips or advice?
A: Most definitely! I'm more than happy to help! Especially with specific questions. The open ended "What do you eat?" or "How do I look like you?" type of questions are really hard to answer!

Q: Do you have any competitors you are a fan of or admire?
A: There are so many!! I think Gina Aliotti will always epitomize the Figure Competitor in my mind. I also love Erin Stern's physique! If I could swap bodies with anyone, it would be her. Also, I got the pleasure of meeting Jamie Eason at the 2007 Arnold. She is the entire package! Beautiful, spunky, outgoing, charismatic, cute as a button, and genuine! She is a wonderful role model for the sport!

Q: What is your favorite and least favorite part of the sport?
A: My favorite would be watching my body change, learning how to make it happen, challenging myself and finding myself stronger than I think I am (mentally and physically!), and, of course, those brief minutes on stage, sweating, smiling, and celebrating all the hard work you put into yourself! Man, am I a total cheeseball, or what?!

Least favorite? That is easy!! Occasionally missing out on some delicious eats! I LOVE FOOD! :)

Q: If someone came up to you and said they wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would what to give them?
A: Consistency! Always consistency! Also, if you mess up, that is okay! Pick up where you left off, and every day is a fresh start. Also, one of the biggest things is you have to want it! If you don't, you won't follow through!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Playing online? (Oh my gosh, I am the biggest dork! LOL!) I also enjoy cooking (I host the family holiday dinners! :) ), sketching, occasionally stoning my suits, anything crafty and creative!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Genie Sammons?
A: Rise. Easy workout (walk on treadmill or yoga) if I am up to it. Work. Gym!! (Lift heavy! WOO HOO!!) Cook dinner for me and my husband. Eat. Get meals and clothes packed for the following day. Chill while watching TV with the hubby. Sleep!

Wow! That makes me sound really boring! I assure you there are a lot of laughs spread throughout the day, too!

Q: Favorite movie, actor, TV show, and musician?
A: Movie? Not sure... I don't think I have one!
Actor? Edward Norton, Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Robert Downey, Jr. Oh crap! This is hard!! NEXT QUESTION! :)
TV Show? Nip/Tuck or True Blood (Nip/Tuck only has 9 more episodes!! So sad!)
Musician? My tastes are all over the board with this... anything from Rage Against the Machine to Tupac to The Beatles to Phish... I like almost everything, but I am picky about country! Yep, a Kentucky girl that doesn't love country!

Q: Describe Genie Sammons in five words.
A: Caring, Hardworking, Fast, Goofy, Hungry :-D

Q: What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
A: I am repulsed by the smell of eggs and ketchup when they are on the same plate.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan on hitting at least one national show! It depends on the funds! :)

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Ohhhh... shameless plugs, huh? Well, I do have a random blog that I'm not the best at keeping up at www.third-wish.blogspot.com

Q: Sponsors are always nice for a competitor. Are you looking for any, and if so, how can they contact you, and tell them what they are getting in Genie Sammons the athlete and competitor?
A: Sponsorship would be AMAZING in any form! Competing is such an expensive sport, and every little bit helps immensely. With me, they will get an athlete who always gives 110%, who is always learning, growing, and improving. They will also get someone who loves the sport, the highs and lows, and will get through it all with a smile on her face! After all, this is something we choose to do! Better love it, right?!

Q: Genie, I want to thank you for taking the time for this. I hope we are introducing a lot of new people to a future start in the industry. Anything you want to add before you go?
A: Thank you so much for asking me!! Your blog is great, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves!

7 comments:

  1. That's my girl! Another great interview on a fabulous person. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoo-hoo!!! thats my girl too becca! lol! glad to see this interview as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genie and have only met on cyberspace, sharing tweets via Twitter. From the get-go, it was evident that she has a huge heart, warm soul, and a thirst for life!
    It's rare to find someone so genuine. Fun interview, too.

    Be Well,

    Maximillian Barry, CPT
    WWW.NU-FiT.NET
    http://twitter.com/NU_FiT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genie is an all around genuine person. What you see is what you get. Very humble and she is right...VERY tiny with big shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THAT'S MY GIRL!!! Great interview. Totally showcases her personality to the fullest. Love you girl! You WILL rock this to the end fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You all, seriously, are making me blush.

    Thank you so much for your support!! XOXO!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Genie you for sure ahve the most comments of any interview so far

    ReplyDelete