Saturday, April 23, 2011

Stephanie Krohn Interview


Sven months after giving birth to her second child, Stephanie Krohn got on stage and looked amazing. Then she recently did the Arnold's and looked even more amazing. Plus don't forget she once weighed 200 pounds. Just to lose that kind of weight is impressive, but to lose it and then look that incredible...... just total inspiration. I am willing to bet that one day soon I will interview Stephanie again and that time title it IFBB Pro Stephanie krohn Interview.





Q: First, Stephanie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You are so welcome!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well originally I am from New Jersey and New York. Lived in AZ for a few years and now reside in Kentucky with my husband, two kids, and four dogs. We went from city life to country …serious culture shock for this city girl but I do love southern living now. I am a marketing director for a fitness and rehabilitation company and a co-owner of Pak Masters Dog training with my hubby (who is a bad *ss federal agent too :-))

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Not really. I did not discover my inner athlete until I was in my late teens early twenties. I had kidney disease growing up and never got to play sports. Then as a teenager in Jersey (in the 80’s) it really was all about the hair back then for me…lol

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My husband did. He was a gym rat – still is. Well now we both are I guess.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Indeed. I was hooked from the start. I started doing a lot of tapes at home first. I burned out some Jane Fonda and “the firm” back in the day. I did not know what I was doing but I thought I was awesome rockin my little pink dumbbells…lol. I have to credit my boyfriend –now hubby- for showing me the ropes in a gym and preaching to me about lifting heavy enough (no more pink dumbbells :-)). Once I really started to lift heavy enough, learn proper technique and form, and learn more about nutrition I began to see results. I was hooked after that!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I had some really great friends that competed and I always admired it from afar. It wasn’t until I had my second child that I decided I wanted to give it a try. One of my “bestie’s “, Robin Channell– a former national figure competitor- convinced me to try a new division called bikini. So I did. With her help, I managed to loose 60 +lbs and get in competition shape. Exactly seven months after having my second child I rocked the stage :-) on my 39th birthday. It was amazing!

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Absolutely. My family is my rock and I am blessed to have a group of friends that really gave me support and advice. I cannot imagine doing something without their support and love…(shout out to my peeps mmuah).

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I am an incredibly shy person by nature so getting on a stage was terrifying and liberating at the same time. I was also so impressed with the other athletes. Every one of them train really hard, eat clean and are so dedicated to the sport. I made some great friendships backstage too!


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Sure…its short :-)
*2010 Knoxville Classic- 6th bikini tall
*2011 Arnold Amateur Bikini- 3rd Class E

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Hmmm, my heart.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: This may sound crazy but I love to train all body parts. I feel like you have to in order to give it 150% . I have really been working hard on my legs this year . They are some long ones and it has been hard for me to keep muscle on them. So I have to work really hard to keep them nice and tight. I love presses (I can rock out some serious weight on that bad boy :-) ), deadlifts and dare I say it…pop squats. You can really feel your legs working and see results!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Normal training routine includes 3-4 weight training split and cardio about 5-6 times a week. I enjoy all kinds of cardio especially running, and zumba! I eat pretty clean year round (with the exception of a good NY style pizza and wine every once in a while). For prep my cardio goes up-depending on where my body is- to about 1 hour a day 6-7 days a week. I include a lot more HIIT, plyos, sprints and crazy bootcamp sessions. I dabble in some Crossfit too. Its all about intensity for this girl! Diet becomes stricter too. My prep diet consists of simple staples like chicken, tuna, fish, egg whites, protein shakes, veggies, oats, sweet potato and plenty of water!

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, waht is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Since I work in a gym environment it is usually very positive. People are curious about it more than anything.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Haha…I dont get sick of anything really. I just laugh it off. I often hear: "do you work out?" "Or do you take protein?" "Can you eat real food?" I think people have a terrible misconception about proper nutrition (really a salad from McDonalds is NOT a clean diet!). So they look for a magic pill or diet. It really is all about eating well, training hard and being good to your body.

Q: What is teh biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Its hard work people! When people hear “ bikini” especially I think people automatically think it’s just a beauty pageant or you do not have to put in the hard work. I have done triathlons and marathons, trust me this ranks right up there. In fact, I think I am in better shape now and train harder now more than ever! Its funny, I get a lot of women and men that ask me for a workout or nutrition advice. So when I give them an idea of how I train and eat…they look at me cross-eyed lol.
I really think fundamentally many people assume you have to spend hours in the gym, have good genes, not eat, and have the inside scoop on a “magic pill”. Nope…its all hard work! We eat, train and live like athletes…I think women deserve much more respect in our industry. We hold down jobs, take care of our families, run businesses and look fabulous while doing it all… :-) Yes, I can go on and on about this one! lol

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Diet!. While I love eating clean and reaping the rewards of fueling my body , I crave cookies, pizza and wine everyday!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire.?
A: First I have to say I really admire any competitor who endures the training, dedication and commitment it takes to compete on any level. Especially all the moms out there! Its not easy and everyday is a battle. I also really admire Jennifer Hendershott, (as if she needs the intro- two time Ms Olympia and two time Ms. Fitness International). She is one of my favorite people in the world. I met her at one of her PHAT camps in Nashville, TN and just knew I wanted to train with her team. I train with her and her GPO staff - that includes the beautiful Latisha Wilder, IFBB pro figure and Sandra Lentz. If you have not checked it out, you should: getphatonline.com. They have really helped me reshape my body, prep for competition down to every detail like tanning, hair makeup, posing etc. GPO is an invaluable tool for any competitor or non-competitor. They really helped me elevate my training and presentation. Through GPO I have also met some wonderful athletes and made some life long friends!
Monica Brant, is another favorite fitness competitor. She has really set a great example of reinvention at any age. She looks better than she ever has and I really admire that. Another is fellow latina, Chady Dunmore. I recently had the pleasure of meeting her and she is the sweetest person! Missy Coles, Amanda Latona, Sonia Gonzalez and Nathalia Melo are some of my other favorites. They are super hot and have incredible physiques! They are really setting the bar high in the Pro bikini division and exemplify what a strong and sexy physique looks like. I love that they bring the “booty” to bikini!


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I do not discriminate. LOVE it all but I would have to say my favorites are Mexican and margaritas & Pizza with wine ;p ohhh and chocolate is always good !

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Believe in yourself. So many of us carry around unrealistic expectations that we feel we fall short. Set realistic goals, prepare to work hard , be consistent and be good to yourself. Don’t beat yourself up when and if you falter. Tomorrow is a new day just hit it strong …you will reap the rewards!

Q: Do you think its becoming more common to see women using the weights in the gym as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: I do! I think women naturally are still timid to using challenging weights but nonetheless they are migrating to the “metal” more often than none.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to spend time with my family. I am so blessed to have a great husband and two amazing kids. Oh and 4 super dogs –my husband would be so upset if I left them out!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Stephanie Krohn.
A: Lord…its crazy :
4:30-5:ish am cardio & weight train
7 :00 get kids ready for school and drop them off
8:00 –5:00 work
5:30-6:00 dinner prep
7:00 train cardio #2
8:00 bath time, put kiddos to bed
10:00 sleep :-)

Q: Describe Stephanie Krohn in five words.
A: Generous, Loyal, Hard working, Driven, Loving

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: People are often shocked to learn my age….I am turning 40 this year ! It also surprises people to learn I was once close to 200 lbs! I had to work really hard to get down to competition weight (about 130lbs) and compete. Ohhh and doing it 7 months after having my second child(via C-section) !

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes! I am currently pursuing my certification in personal training. Its something I have wanted to do for a long time.
As far as competing goes, Jr nationals and then maybe Team U ? USA’s?

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Sure! I am currently training some clients in fitness and competition prepping. So if anyone was interested – website under construction- they can contact me on Facebook. Also, if someone out there needs dog training I know the best …Pak Masters! Seriously, if you are a dog lover-especially of Rotties- you must check out his videos on You tube or on website: pakmasters.com they are so impressive.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you adn what are they getting in Stephanie Krohn the athlete and competitor?
A: While I am not actively soliciting right now, I would love to be a sponsored athlete! I am a hard working athlete with a lot of integrity and a heart of a champ! I market fitness and health for a living. So trade shows, advertisement campaigns and business development is my specialty! :-) Finally, I feel that I, like many, embody “real women” who are confident, professional, strong and creative with a splash of sass …what a sponsored athlete should be :-).

Q: Stephanie, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. ANy last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much for providing the platform for women to promote themselves and our industry! It was an honor :-)

1 comment: