Friday, April 8, 2011

Jen Klimek Interview


If I get a chance to interview an Angelique Kronebusch client, I am always going to jump at that chance. I got that chance with Jen Klimek. But Jen Klimek is not someone I am interviewing just cause of who her trainer is. Jen just did her first show and looked amazing. At only 21 years old, Jen has so much time to improve and I really think she is going to do some really big things in the fitness industry. Both competing wise and she is someone I think can be a big time fitness model.




Q: First, Jen, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem, I like to do anything involving fitness, even if its just talking about it.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am a 21 year old student who is studying to be a Registered Nurse in Kelowna, BC. I just finished the first year of the program and have 3 more to go. I’m originally from Maple Ridge, BC, Canada, and have a very close relationship with my mother and father, as well as my older brother.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: During high school I was extremely active, participating competitively in track and field, cross country running and basketball. I received a full ride scholarship to play basketball in Alberta, but that ended early due to a hip injury.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I get bored easily. I am and always have been an extremely active girl. After high school, I wanted to stay in shape so I started out doing cardio at the gym.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I was always a cardio junkie until recently. I was sick of looking skinny, I saw posters of my trainer Angelique Kronebusch and decided it was time I started lifting weights, consistently. Before, I would lift once or twice a week, decide it wasn’t giving me results and stop. But since training with Angelique since last October and hitting the gym 6 days a week I have noticed results! I have been able to put a bit of muscle on my small frame and am looking forward to continue to do so for my next competition!

Q: You recently decided to compete. What led to the decision?
A: I just completed my first competition last weekend. A friend of mine does competitions, I would look at pictures and think to myself, “I wish I could do that.“ I then saw posters of my trainer, Angelique at our gym advertising competition training, I got in contact with her and the rest is history! I never thought I would do a competition, especially with my skinny frame but I did it and am extremely excited to improve and compete again at the end of this year.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends support?
A: My family is very supportive of competing. They all came out and provided me with so much support and help for my first show, I really could not have done it without them. I have the advantage of having parents that are active and enjoy spin classes and other activities at the gym, so having their daughter doing a competition wasn’t as far fetched as it might be for some. My friends also showed support. Although some may not have understood what exactly a competition is and what kind of dedication is involved, they were there behind me every step of the way.

Q: What shows do you plan on doing?
A: I just did the WSNO Fame West competition last weekend, and I plan to do the BCABBA Sandra Wickham show on November 12, 2011.

Q: Where there any expectations for the first show?
A: For my first show, I did not have any expectations whatsoever. I wanted to be proud of what I had accomplished, and I was. I considered the whole 12 weeks before the show the accomplishment. I did not miss one workout and I stuck to my diet the whole way through. My trainer would tell me what to do, and I did it to the best of my ability. For my next show, however, I now have goals, expectations and things I would like to accomplish.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: So far, my abs. I am a lean girl and my abs are my strong point. I have not developed my arms or legs to what I would like them to be at, yet, but am lifting heavy and working hard in the off season to try and gain some muscle before November.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I have a love/hate relationship with legs. I hate doing squats and weighted lunges, but the reward of having DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) for 3 days afterwards makes it worthwhile. Hey, no pain no gain.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how did you plan to alter it for contest prep?
A: While training for my last competition, I was doing cardio 3x a week and full body workouts and plyometrics 3x a week, with one day to rest. My diet mainly consisted of oats, chicken, tuna, spinach, green veggies, egg whites and water! Off season, my goal is to lift heavy at least 4 x a week, with upper/lower splits and a lot of supersets to get the most out of my workout. I am going to eat a lot more clean foods, carbs and calories to try and build muscle. I have a very fast metabolism so I find getting bigger to be a challenge, but I am determined, focused, and have ready to meet me goals.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: The most common reaction is “I want your abs”. This is positive, however I get this comment a lot as well, “You’re so skinny!” Some women may like to hear this, but I am not one of them. I don’t want to be skinny, I want to be lean and toned. I want muscle definition and will work hard to achieve better mass in my arms and legs.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Same as above, you’re so skinny! To me, this is not a compliment people! Please change your words to toned, lean or fit!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I think the biggest misconception about women who train and compete are the people that think we want to look or do look masculine. Just because competitors lift weights and like to stay fit and healthy does not by any means mean they want to be masculine.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part of training is the minute you finish your last rep. You feel the burn from the workout, you have a little pump going on and you feel 100% better for the rest of the day. The worst part of training for me would be the mornings where you just don’t want to get out of bed. Maybe you had a bad sleep, or are carb depleted during competition training and you would rather not move, but once you start your first exercise this feeling usually goes away.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I think Chady Dunmore has a great look for bikini. She is lean, has great muscle definition and abs as well as a wonderful smile! She is someone that I believe fits what I think the bikini category should look like to a T.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I have a few. During competition diet, my cheat food of choice is Sushi. Off season, I have a bad love for movie theatre popcorn and ice cream. I completely avoid this during competition diet because I don’t want to start craving sugar and salt, so I prefer to stick to sushi.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her.
A: Be consistent and lift heavy! Two things that I did not do. You must be consistent to see results, lifting for one week and then taking two off will not give you any results. Lift heavy, don’t be afraid of the big weights!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: Yes and no. I think that people are starting to finally read the studies and evidence that resistance training is beneficial in all areas of our health, however I believe that it is a harder thing to be consistent and stick with. I think many women might be intimidated by the weights like I was at first, expecting results too early, and not being consistent.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love reading. I am a total book worm and can finish books that interest me in less than a day. Spending time with friends, family and my boyfriend are things I do outside of training.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jen Klimek.
A: I wake up around 6 or 7am to eat meal number one, my favorite meal of the day (egg whites and oatmeal). I then surf the internet for a bit, digest, and bust out my workout. I am an early bird and prefer doing my workouts in the morning. I then eat again, go to school, come home and spend the rest of my day relaxing.


Q: Describe Jen Klimek in five words.
A: Determined, driven, soft-spoken, humble, goal-orientated.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have a 3 cm tear in my left hip cartilage and have been on a wait list for surgery since 2008. It used to bother me a lot, but my pain threshold is quite high and I have learned to ignore it until my surgery date(TBA).

Q: Besides the first show, any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else.
A: I plan to compete again in November at the Sandra Wickham show in New Westminster, BC, just outside of Vancouver. Other then that, no set plans, I would like to travel but being a student isn’t the best for travelling, finance wise.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Check out Angelique Kronebusch for anything fitness related/personal training advice!
Feel free to check out my blog where I blogged about my first competition! http://jenklimek.wordpress.com/

Q: Jen, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for this interview opportunity and I hope that you see more of me in the future, bigger and better!

3 comments:

  1. thanks so much for the mention Jen, really means a lot to me! You are going to rock your next show!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen shops at one of our stores. And we had no idea how dedicated she was in the beginning. But then we started to pick up on it. Her blog is and awesome read into to the life and mind of a competitor. And a fun one too!
    Her results are amazing - and this article was an even more enjoyable look into what's to come!

    We'd say 'best of luck', but Jen, it looks like you are doing a great job of making your own luck!

    Sandy Pembroke
    www.yourgymbag.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    I just want to say CONGRATS on your first competition and good luck with your training during the next 5 months :)

    I just recently competed in my first Bikini competition as well and am also a bit too skinny in the arms, butt and legs so I'll be on the exact same plan as you (increase cals, add muscle) before doing another competition in the fall. I admire your dedication and just wanted you to know you look great, you're no alone, and let's do work in the gym and rock that stage this fall :p

    Ruthie xoxo
    http://ruthiemtech.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete