Thursday, April 28, 2011

Angela Schiano Di Cola Interview


When anyone competes for the first time, they surely would be happy to finish top four in their division. Angela Schiano Di Cola competed recently for her first time, and finished top four in FOUR different divisions. Impressive, to say the least. Angela plans to compete again, although which show she will do is yet to be decided. Whenever it is, I am anxious to see how much she improves.




Q: First, Angela, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No, thank you, the pleasure is all mine.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey. I moved to Maryland in 1998. I am married and have 4 children (ages 9,6,4 and 2). I am a stay at home mom. I started working out with my trainer, Charles Dorsey, Jr about a year and a half ago. I have friends who have competed in competitions so I decided to go for it! I competed in my first ever Figure competition (at age 37!) on April 9, 2011, the OCB Eastern Regionals in Baltimore, MD and placed in all 4 divisions I competed in, not to shabby for my first competition!


Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person. Play any sports or anything?
A: In high school, I was a Varsity football cheerleader and I was on the track team. I ran the 100 m, 100 hurdles, long jump and triple jump ( I even had a high school record for the triple jump).

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: It was after I had my 4th child when I thought that I needed to do something other than being mom. I needed a release! Once I started, I was hooked! Going to the gym is my stress reliever, it is MY TIME!!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, it was fairly easy. I had a trainer show me the correct way to perform the exercises! I'm lucky, I never had a weight problem, I just wanted to tone up. It wasn't too long before I started seeing results, the soreness I experienced after a great workout was a positive result that what I was doing was working!!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I have friends who have competed and after hearing their stories and seeing how amazing they looked, I talked to my trainer and said I wanted to give it a try!

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Yes, my friends have been amazingly supportive. Since some of them have competed, it was nice to hear encouraging words. A week before my show, a few of us got together at a friends house, all of us were dieting and in the process of getting
ready for upcoming shows. It was JUST what I needed!!!


Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I didn't know what to expect! It was such a great experience! I can't wait to do it again!! The dieting was hard in the beginning, I usually eat pretty healthy, but when you are given a strict diet, it's hard at first. The first 2 weeks of
dieting was the hardest part! I was at the gym 6 days a week between cardio and weight training. It was hard, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I was so excited and nervous all in one. I also met great people (fellow competitors) who were both new to competing like me and some who have competed before.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A; OCB Eastern Regionals- April 9, 2011
*3rd place Figure Debut
*3rd place Figure Masters 35+
*4th place Figure Novice (short class)
*4th place Figure Open (short class)

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Hmmm, my best body part. I would have to say my back. I think you can see the most definition in my back.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training all body parts equally! If I had to pick one, it would be back. My favorite exercise for back is wide pull ups.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I usually go to the gym 3-5 times a week. It varies what I do off season..yoga, weight training and cardio. Right now, I am trying to bulk up a bit. When I was preparing for my competition, I was in the gym 6 days a week, 2 times with my trainer, 4 days resistance and 3 days cardio, I also was on a diet where I ate 6 times a day, it changed a few times during my prep for the show.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Positive! I got a lot of compliments from friends who I have seen in a while. I've been told by a few that I have inspired them to get in shape and start going to the gym and eating better! When I hear that, it really touches my heart!!

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Nothing I can think of.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: It bothers me when some people say that bodybuilding for women is disgusting! So not true! I am proud to be a Figure competitor. I feel like I am in the best shape of my life.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Best part of training is when you hear people complement you and ask what you are doing to look so good. Worst part, when you go to the gym and the equipment you need is being used and going to the gym when it is full. Late morning or early afternoon is the best time for me to train.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I am a huge fan of Nicole Wilkins Lee, Ava Cowan, Erin Stern!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?A
A: My husband and I own a pizzeria/Italian Restaurant, so I would have to say pizza with pepperoni and lots of veggies!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: If you have the money, get a trainer!!! Form is key!! If you don't know what you're doing or doing it incorrectly, it could hurt you and you won't see results.
Also, you can do all the training and cardio you want, you have to maintain a healthy lifestyle (diet for example).

Q: Do you think its becoming more common to see women using the weights in the gym as opposed to just doing cardio and things?
A: YES!! I see more and more women in the weight area of the gym.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I am a very family oriented person, Family is #1. I enjoy spending time with friends, reading and I love lighthouses!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Angela Schiano Di Cola.
A; Well, with 4 children, my days are very busy! I wake up and get everyone fed and ready to get the bus by 8:20 AM. I eat my breakfast and take a shower and get ready to start my day. I still have my youngest home with me while the others are at school. (I have a 4th grader, a 1st grader and a preschooler who gets home around 11:30 AM). I like to go to the gym between 1-3, 5 times a week. There's always errands, food shopping, laundry, cleaning,etc. After school is the craziest time for me. I have to feed everyone and get them to their activities that include Cub scouts, Girl scouts, football, swimming, just to name a few. Bath time and bedtime is usually as close to 8 pm as possible. After they are finally asleep, that is when I catch up on things I didn't get to do during the day.

Q: Describe Angela Schiano Di Cola in five words.
A: Determined, Passionate, Caring, Hard working and Trustworthy.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: The thing I find that people think is the most surprising is that I have 4 young children.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I do want to compete in Figure again. I don't have an exact show that I want to do now though.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: If you are in the Frederick, MD area and are looking for a trainer, my
trainer, Charles Dorsey, Jr is the best. He runs a fitness studio called Dynamic
Fitness. You can go to there website www.dynamicfitnessfrederick.com.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Angela Schiano Di Cola the athlete and competitor?
A: I would LOVE to have a sponsor! I can be reached at my email address jerseygirl1992@yahoo.com. I am very passionate about everything I do. I give 110%! When I put my mind to do something, I do it with everything I have.

Q: Angela, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment