Friday, April 1, 2011

Nancy Onyett Interview


First time I saw a photo of Nancy Onyett I knew I wanted her to do an interview. That was based strictly of her physique. Now that I have learned more about her I am very glad I asked and that she accepted. Safe to say health is her life. Whether in the gym training and competing or in her job. The sport is better because Nancy Onyett is in it.



Q: First, Nancy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am an Arizona native born into an upper middle class family with three step sisters. I have lived in Phoenix most all of my life. I received an Associates Degree in Nursing first then I worked many years in the hospital but mainly in ICU. After several years of working in ICU, I decided I wanted to go back to school to be a nurse practitioner. I went to ASU twice, once for undergraduate obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Nursing and lastly post graduate obtaining a Master of Science Nursing with focus in the Family Nurse Practitioner program. For several years I worked in family practice, when I decided to go into hormone replacement. Hormone disorders and replacement required another year of post graduate education. In 2009, I opened a preventative medicine practice for family practice and age management with emphasis on hormone disorders. The major goal was health through prevention of disease states.Web site: http://www.pyramidpreventativemedicine.com/
and blog site: http://pyramidpreventativemedicine.typepad.com/blog/

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: Yes, through high school I played basketball and ran track. Into college I backed off from playing any sports till I got through.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: It wasn't the weights in the beginning. It was cardio with different equipment and classes.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started
to see results?
A: I started training approximately 20 years ago. I had immediate changes with a drop in body fat and physique changes within the first three months and my physique continued to change from there on.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: After the first three months of training I was talked into doing my first show in 1991. At that time I would have been a figure girl by today's standards.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported
A: Yes my husband always supported me in bodybuilding because he liked the way I looked and improved myself each year. The children did too in fact my son is a bodybuilder and has been for about 10 years.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing has changed so much now with the expectations upon competitors by judge and peers. When I did my first shows in the 1990's the emphasis was not so detail oriented as it is now for today's judges in development, symmetry, leanness and presentation.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*1991- North American Natural Bodybuilding Association- Phoenix, Arizona- 2nd place Tall Class Women's Bodybuilding
*1991- North American Natural Bodybuilding Association- Tucson, Arizona- 2nd place Tall Class Women's Bodybuilding
*1992- North American Natural Bodybuilding Association USA- 3rd place Tall Class
*2004- House of Fitness Arizona- 5th place Middleweight Open Women's Bodybuilding
4th place Middleweight Masters Women's Bodybuilding
*2005- NPC Arizona State Bodybuilding and Fitness Show- 4th place Middleweight Open Women's Bodybuilding 3rd place Middleweight Masters Women Bodybuilding
*2005- NPC Northern Arizona Bodybuilding and Fitness show- 4th place Middleweight Open Women's Bodybuilding 2nd place Middleweight Master Women Bodybuilding
*2007- NPC Arizona State Bodybuilding and Fitness Show- 4th Women's Open Heavyweight Bodybuilding 5th Women's Master Bodybuilding
*2007- LA Classic- 3rd Women's Open Light Heavyweight Bodybuilding


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Shoulders as they separate front, laterals, and rear delts.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Legs including squats and deadlifts.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it
for contest prep?
A: Off season, I eat clean with occasional cheat once a week. Training is compound moves throughout the season till about 8 weeks out from a show then it is transitioned into high intensity interval training.
The contest diet is very science oriented changing every 1-2 weeks to dial in the last group of muscles where before we used to leave carbohydrates in till the end and do carbohydrate depletion 3 days before the show. Now, the carbohydrates are tapered slowly dependent upon the look. The last week is the most critical to sodium load on the last day with little amounts of water so not to over spill.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time,
what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I get stared at when I am in public. I smile at those people and say "hi" which usually opens up a conversation with them and there are other times people come up behind me and start asking questions about my physique. I am friendly with people and I inform them what I do in family practice for weight loss. I have gotten many patients with this approach.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you
are most sick of hearing?
A: I don't get negative comments to my face. There is not anything that is said to me to make me tired of hearing it.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the
one thing you wish people understood?
A: People don't understand the amount of work it takes with training. The only way to change a physique is train hard with a trainer who is experienced in training women for competition. It just doesn't work any other way. A person cannot accomplish the diet and training it takes without a trainer and that stands for those who don't want to compete. It is very hard to change a physique in women due to our hormones.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: I love to train but the worst part is the nausea and lightheadedness due to the intensity of sets and weight.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I don't have any favorite competitors per se but when someone comes along that I see has made major changes with their body through the work put forth, I admire that person.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Candy.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give he?
A: First, I would ask her what her goal is with training. My advice to any woman would be to get with a trainer to make a difference in physique.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with
the weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: Yes, I do see women in the gyms that I go to working with weights on all different levels. Most of the ones I see lifting weights are doing light weights and many times I have told someone to make a change you have to lift heavy weight in cycles which starts a conversation.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Yes, I am active on social media mainly twitter, facebook and Linkedin. I like to read, write blogs, snow ski, water ski, shoot baskets, and attend functions with grandchildren. I like just about all sports and attend games throughout the year.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Nancy Onyett.
A: It is very hectic in the office seeing a large volume of patients a day and training after or before work.

Q: Describe Nancy Onyett in five words.
A: Honest, Outgoing, Energetic, Integrity and Disciplined.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: My age when asked and I tell people they don't believe me. That is the anti-aging benefits of bodybuilding as Arnold put it bodybuilding is the number one anti-aging lifestyle.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes, I am competing in Southern California Bodybuilding, Figure, Men's Physique & Bikini Championships June 18, 2011 in San Diego, California and NPC Los Angeles Bodybuilding, Figure, Men's Physique and Bikini Championships (NQ) July 23, 2011
Culver City, California.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I am a family nurse practitioner certified in family practice, I do practice family medicine but my greatest passion in medicine is treatment of hormone disorders. Many people suffer with weight gain, loss of libido, menstrual disorders at different stages in life which can be easily treated. My major focus is to prevent disease manifestation through lifestyle, hormone replacement and treatment with pharmaceuticals when appropriate. I do treat a large volume of diabetics on oral medications and insulin. I have had success getting several to goal with constant education and monitoring with treatment.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they
getting in Nancy Onyett the athlete and competitor?
A: I haven't looked for any sponsors recently. I did a couple of years ago with a local nutrition store. If I did find one, I would keep my goals of competition yearly, and promoting the product if it was a product I believed in.

Q: Nancy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words
before you go?
A: Thank you so much, it was an honor.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this interview - wow, Nancy must have impacted her family, since her son is a bodybuilder, too. Good luck at your upcoming competitions, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete