Monday, April 4, 2011

Heidi Kruger interview


I was very happy when Hedi Kruger said yes to do an interview. She is one that I had really wanted. Was already impressed with her. Then to find out she looks that amazing after having six kids, I was even more impressed. She entered the gym because she was unfit and wanted to be a Figure competitor. Heidi is now definitely fit and is a great competitor. The story of Heidi Kruger is a story of inspiration.






Q: First, Heidi, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You're more than welcome Jason, thank you for asking me!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am from New Zealand and have 6 children (ages 8 -19). I've competed as Heidi Carey, and Heidi Kruger-Carey.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: No never played any sports, but with my transformation over the years I've been mistaken for a runner, rock climber, boxer and now people correctly identify me as a bodybuilder, specifically figure. In some ways it could be because the profile of the sport has risen.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was unfit, low blood pressure - lots of fainting spells and wanted to pursue my goal to be a figure competitor.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I picked up training easily because I loved the feeling of it, and the results were immediate in terms of energy levels and feeling healthy.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: It was always my plan to compete.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: I had negative opposition to deal with. In my first year of training I didn't really have any support so had to be internally motivated and brush comments off.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing was more fun and fulfilling than I imagined. I've made amazing, beautiful and supportive friends.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*NZFBB CNI'S novice Figure 1st 2006.
*NZFBB novice Nationals 2nd 2006.
*NZFBB Taranaki Open Figure Short 2nd 2006.
*NZFBB Auckland 1st OFS and Overall Figure 2007.
*INBA Taupo OFS 2nd 2007.
*NZFBB CNI'S OFS 1st 2007.
*NZFBB Nationals OFS 2nd 2007.
*NABBA North Harbour OF 3rd 2007.
*NABBA Universe Spain OFS 5th 2007. NZFBB Auckland OFS 1st 2008.
*NZFBB Elite Bikini Model 3rd 2009.


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one.
A: None, they're pretty even.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: No.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I design my do my own training and diet, which changes depending on which phase I'm in. My current plan is for the year. I'm doing a hypertrophy phase, which means 1 - 2 hours of weights, 5 days a week. My diet is mostly clean, I stick to bodybuilding food, its simple, quick, nutritious and my body loves it. To alter my training and diet for competition I switch to a competition trainer to prepare me for the stage.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Depends where I am, or who I am with. If I am at the gym or around fitness types the feedback is positive and respectful. If I am around non-fitness types there seems to be misunderstandings, and rude, snide remarks. I simply rise above it and understand that its not personal and mostly 9.9/10 its not about me.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Usually people view it from their own perspective and focus on how they can't do it because of the food or be that disciplined. I've learnt to listen and be a good ambassador.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Acceptance and respect. Understand that its 24/7.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you.
A: Best thing about training is the sense of achievement the worst, really there is no worst part of training.

Q: Do you have any favourite competitors or any you admire?
A: Jenny Lynn, JNL, Cory Everson and New Zealander Annette Gallagher NABBA Ms Universe.

Q: Do you have a favourite cheat food?
A: Wine.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: For general health and fitness any qualified trainer will be able to take care of you. But if she wants to specifically compete in bodybuilding, get the best trainer/s for the sport.

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Yes.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Currently I am doing volunteer work with Riding for Disabled. Its nice to be able to give back.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Heidi Kruger.
A: My days revolve around my children's schedules and my training.

Q: Describe Heidi Kruger in five words.
A: Positive, Fun, Determined, Happy, Kind.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: People are usually surprised that I have 6 children.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan to compete within the next 2 years.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Heidi Kruger the athlete and competitor?
A: I'd never say no to sponsorship. As an athlete I'm dedicated, motivated, meticulous, disciplined, injury-free, enthusiastic and I love the camera! Can be reached via Facebook.

Q: Heidi, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment