Friday, April 8, 2011

Shannon Floyd Interview


You can tell someone is special when not only her team mates, but people from other teams, and even opponents go out of their way to say nice things about them. Such is the case with Shannon Floyd. While Shannon is from a great team at Evolve MMA, fighters from other gyms like Jessica Eye and Ronda Gale always say great things about Shannon. Even Shannon's last opponent Trisha Barr has gone out of her way to compliment Shannon. While her record is 0-3, that doesn't take into account that in her first fight she jumped into it early, and her opponents have been really talented fighters. Shannon has the heart to improve and get better, and if she decides to get back in the cage after finishing recovering from a serious injury, you can guarantee the wins will start adding up.







Q: First, Shannon I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Hello and thank you for the opportunity. I have spent the last 6 months recovering from a broken ankle and was left with a plate, 7 pins and a pretty ugly scar.
I had two surgeries and have minor nerve damage throughout my foot and
leg. It's been a struggle and a huge setback for me. I was just coming
into the sport and finally feeling confident in myself and my training.
I am not sure if I will ever compete again, however, I will be back to
Evolve in May. I couldn't imagine not being a student there!

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: I would not consider myself athletic growing up, I did play basketball at a really
young age and ended with gymnastics in high school. I didn't have any
experience and adapted rather well but was looking more for friendship.
I had moved clear across the Country and needed to make friends.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: Two years ago I joined an all female cardio kickboxing class, ran by Josh Hendricks at Evolve. Josh took me in and about 4 months later, I was walking into the
men's MMA class. I would have never joined without Josh giving me the guidance and support.

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Ryan Madigan always said I had good kicks but it took me a long time to feel
comfortable in class.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: I was extremely eager to get in the cage and I took my first fight after maybe 5 months of training. It was a huge eye opener for me and I waited 8 months before
competing again.


Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
Q: My friends didn't really like the idea and my mother thought I was crazy. After
competing in September, my mother could see the difference and has a new
outlook on me competing. My friends have grown to support me as well.

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: Evolve

Q: Can you give your overall record so far.
A: I am currently 0-3, most people would give up with a record like this but it gives me so much to work for. I had no previous experience before training at Evolve and
have gained so much from these 3 fights. I wouldn't give any of this up....

Q: Is there one fight you would say you are most proud of?
A: I am most proud of my last fight with Trisha Barr. You can see how much I have
grown and this was by far the best training camp I had. My team supported me, I was able to cross train with Ronda Gale and Jessica Eye and I had Bhrandon Poindexter and Travis Clark in my corner.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you
most want to improve?
A: I really enjoy pounding on people from the ground. It's just more exciting for me to trap and arm and pound on the face for a bit. I really want to get my weight on the right track, cutting weight has been extremely difficult for me.


Q: Name the one fight you have seen that you will always remember?
A: I will always remember watching Ronda Gales fight against Marcia May. I
sat cage side with Jessica Eye and I was still on my crutches. Ronda is
like my sister and I was so happy for her. I watched her and Jess train
together, in my hot pink cast. That fight has special meaning to me and
I will never forget it!

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: I consider myself Bhrandon Bad Intentions biggest fan, next to his mother of
course.

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport
pound for pound?
A: I will be honest, I'm not going to post off the rankings and list the five best female fighters. I will leave you with this comment though, I look forward to seeing Jessica Eye move up and continue to succeed. I'm saying this because there is a true beauty about her and she shows this through her words, training and fighting.
She is truly passionate about her sport and I can see her going all the
way. Eye Believe......

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: Maybe in about 5 years, I don't think women have the respect they
deserve at this time. The UFC should think about opening up their doors.
I'm sure they wouldn't be disappointed!

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that
fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do
you think that is?
A: Most women train with all men, they have to push harder every time they train. For me to tap out a teammate, I have to go 100%. Most the guys can go half as hard and tap out a teammate. I think women can take a lot of punishment and don't break easily.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: I don't really pay attention to what people talk about if it's not positive.
I've been told to go back to the kitchen but obviously women do more than just cook.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, what's
the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: I would explain that it takes a lot of heart and dedication, you have to be willing to put in the work in order to see the progress. I don't think people really
understand the work that goes into competing and the life changes you have to make.

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I'm a big fan of Jameson, just saying.....

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Shannon Floyd.
A: I have a full time job so I spend 9 hours of my day in an office. During a
training camp, I would train twice a day. My schedule is insane so
depending on the day, I would be showering at my gym or at the office.
Spending little time at home and always on the go.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: People find it surprising that I crochet. After my first surgery, I made
3 blankets while I was laid up. I've been doing it since I was 14.

Q: Describe Shannon Floyd in five words.
A: I've been told I have multiple personalities so with that being said, 1. Crazy 2. Loud 3. Dramatic 4.Sensitive 5. Outrageous

Q: So what's next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: I am just looking forward to training again, not sure if I will be
competing in the future but I will always remain a student at Evolve.
I'm sure the itch will come back after spending another 6 months in the
gym.....

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Of course, Arkham Tattoo 788 North Main Street Akron, OH 44310. Shout out to Eric,
Don and Kyle, stop in the shop and say hello, get some new ink!!


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you?
A: I'm still recovering and not very active at the moment. Once I start training
again, if I do decide to compete you can always contact John Cook at Evolve.

Q: Shannon, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before
you go?
A: I really want to thank you for giving me this opportunity to let
everyone in on SMFF. Even though the future is unclear for me right now,
I'm sure this will not be the last of SMFF. I hope everyone got their
tickets for NAAFS show on April 16th. Good luck to my man Bhrandon Bad
Intentions Poindexter and Travis The Terror Clark! Xoxoxo SMFF

No comments:

Post a Comment