Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Christina Attaway Interview


Always an athlete Christina Attaway got into the gym to prove not that she was good for a girl, but to prove she was good period. And she has proven it from day one. She finally decided to compete when the time was right and looked amazing on stage. Illness forced her to take time away from the stage, but she is now prepping for her return to the stage and will no doubt look even better than before.





Q: First, Christina, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: My pleasure.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Sure. I'm originally from San Francisco, CA and currently living in San Diego, CA. I'm a 32-year-old mother and proud wife to a U.S. Marine.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I've been involved in athletics and played in team sports for as long as I could remember. Volleyball, Basketball, softball, tackle football, tennis, you name it, I played it. I thrive in competitive sports and I love the rush I feel from winning, and even the feeling of defeat, because I know redemption feels better.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Every time I played on a co-ed team for a sport, I found myself to be the only girl on the team. I often would hear the generic saying "you're pretty good Chris, FOR A GIRL.", and I would always ask myself, "What the heck does that mean?" I wanted to show the boys that I could be as fast, as strong, and as agile as them...or even surpass them.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I picked up fast at the gym. Got my certification and made sure I did the exercises correctly and focused on doing them the right way the first time. I saw results about 3 weeks later, and when I learned more about proper nutrition, the results were more noticeable.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I've had several people at the gym approach me about competing. It has crossed my mind several times, but I knew it would mean a great deal of discipline, and time to dedicate to the sport. When I finally found a good work/life balance, I went for it!

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Absolutely! They support me 100%! And it's great that they do. It's important that your inner circle is there for you. Prepping for a show is one of the hardest things anyone can put their body and mind through. The more support you have to help you through, the better.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: At my first show, I was surprised at how nervous the ladies were, even the seasoned competitors. It felt good to know I wasn't the only one, being a rookie and all. It was good to see the camaraderie between the ladies, especially when we're carb and water depleted. LOL!


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: I've competed in 2 shows so far and placed. Placed 11th in my first and 8th for my second. I got very ill last year and had to forego competing, but now my body is back on track and I'm about 10 weeks out from my next show.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would have to say my legs.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Leg days are my favorite, and I train the hardest during those days. I absolutely love squats!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I'm in contest prep mode right now. I do cardio 6-7 days a week and weight train 5 days a week. I'm currently carb cycling with Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays being my low-carb days. I focus on the larger muscle groups on my medium to high carb days so I can lift heavier.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most are pretty positive and give compliments like that generic saying I hear all the time "You're pretty good for a girl. I'm impressed!" Since I work out on a military base, and I rarely see females hitting the weights there.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I always get asked about what they can do to get a six-pack, and every time my answer has been the same. Diet!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That we're 'taking something' or 'using'. Just because we're strong, doesn't mean we didn't work hard for them 'naturally'.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The worst part of training is the diet. Especially when it's down to the wire. I absolutely LOVE to eat, so eating chicken and veggies gets old. I do my best to get creative with my meals, but there's only so much you can do.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I am a big fan of Erin Stern. She brings a great package on stage every time, and still manages to stay feminine. I also admire the fact that she was a track star prior to competing in figure. As an athlete myself, I would love to reach an elite status in figure as Erin did.


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Spaghetti and meatballs! Ice cream! Pizza! Cookies! I can go on here....

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Do it because you really want to and make sure you have the right coach/mentor to guide you. Training and dieting for a figure show is one of the hardest things you can do. If it were easy, EVERYONE would look like the athletes on stage, and clearly they don't.

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Absolutely!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love athletics. I'm currently paying volleyball for a league on Camp Pendleton. I love photography, and when I'm not dieting, I enjoy fine dining. I'm a warm weather gal, so hitting the beach on a regular basis is a must.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Christina Attaway.
A: My day is anything but typical. It's different everyday. I'll tell you this much though. I'm somehow able to squeeze in 3 different rounds of cardio during, weight training, and volleyball practice. I'm not gonna lie, I wish there were more hours in a day.

Q: Describe Christina Attaway in five words.
A: Disciplined, Funny, Outgoing, Competitive, Sincere

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I hate shopping and that I never carry a purse.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I'm planning to compete in at least 2 shows this year. The NPC Southern Cal and the West Coast Classic.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I love my coaches! Tad and Bernadette Inoue. They're probably know my body more than I do! For those that want to get serious about competing, I would highly recommend them.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors. If so how can they reach you?
A: Sponsors are absolutely welcomed. They can reach me via email at christina@gopronurition.com or on my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/christina.c.attaway


Q: Christina, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thanks for having me!

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, Jason and Christina! I hope she feels up to competing again - her physique has some great potential for future shows.

    ReplyDelete