Friday, May 28, 2010

Barbie Garrido Interview






I found Barbie Garrido on Facebook. At first just saw her as a beautiful woman with a great physique. But then I found out she is just a very cool woman. I love her attitude. Not afraid to say what she feels, and if you don't like it, then that is your problem. While that may come off as having an attitude, the reality is, Barbie, isn't like that. She actually is a very nice woman who has encouraged me in my goals. She used to compete in karate tournaments, then in an effort to lose weight she found the gym, and in a short time was on stage winning bodybuilding competitions. Barbie is that kind of person who if she wants it, she will take it. So for those not familiar with her, here is your introduction to the beautiful Barbie Garrido.





Q: First Barbie, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in Miami, Florida. My background is Cuban and Turkish. I've been married for 13 years to a wonderful man and have 4 children and 2 adoptive nieces.

Q: Before bodybuilding, were you an especially athletic person? Play Any sports?
A: I was always a tomboy growing up. I'm tough when it calls for it and sexy all the time. I have a 2nd degree blackbelt in Shorin-Ryu Karate.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I started at the gym to lose some weight. I was always a skinny person but I developed a thyroid problem and gained some weight. I was extremely unhappy as I was not used to being heavy so I decided it was time to change that. When I stepped in the gym I saw these big women and I said to myself "I'm going to get there one day", and I did.

Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: Yes it was pretty easy, however I'm still learning different ways my muscle reacts to different exercises. The results were fairly quick.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete?
A: I started training in July and by March the following year I was doing my first show.

Q: Was competing something your family supported at the time?
A: My husband and kids were and are amazing.

Q: Was the first show what you expected? Anything surprise you?
A: No it was more than I expected, however I was used to being in front of crowds as I competed in karate tournaments. What surprised me is I was not nervous, it amazed me.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: 2006
*Sunshine Classic- Over 30 Heavyweight- 1st
*Superior Show- Heavyweight Open- 1st
*Miami Show- Heavyweight Open- 2nd
*Southern States- Over 30 Heavyweight- 1st
*South Florida- Heavyweight- 1st and Overall
2008
Sunshine Classic- Over 30 Heavyweight and Open Heavyweight- 1st and Overall

What is your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: Has to be my back.

Q; DO you have a favor tie part to train?
A: Yes, I love to train shoulders.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Training routine consists of 2-3 hours of cardio and heavy reps, low weight. Nutrition is extremely low in carbs and almost none 2 months prior to contest date.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: From women it is always negative. From men it is "Wow!"

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one comment or question you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Are you a man or woman?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: This sport is not an over night change. it takes a lot of will power and dedication to get the body prepared for a show. It's a way of life not a sport.

Q: Do you think muscular women are becoming more accepted by society?
A: No, I think that will never happen. We are supposed to be model like women. Muscles are for men. So I think that is always going to be an issue.

Q: Do you have any goals in bodybuilding you still hope to achieve?
A: Yes I have some things in mind for the future, however I can't disclose right now.

Q: What is the worst part of competing?
A: The damn cardio and fish.

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders?
A: Dayana Cadeau.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Chocolate.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: You have to dedicate yourself, it is not easy and takes time and will power.

Q: What is the biggest mistake you see people who are new to training make?
A: Their misuse of the weights. They think that only heavy weights is going to make you big and that you have to be pumped on steroids to achieve your goal.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Martial Arts and painting.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Barbie Garrido.
A: Wake up at 5am and take niece to day care, head to the gym and do i hour aerobics class and 1 hour cardio and abs on empty stomach. Eat first meal, go home and clean, eat again. Have to nap, if not I can't continue. Eat again, cook, eat again, go to gym for another hour of cardio and weights. And eat last meal by 7 or 8, take shower, watch TV, and sleep.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm a very OCD person. Can't disturb my routine LOL.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Criminal minds, Fracture, Christopher Walken, and Disturbed.

Q: Describe Barbie Garrido in five words.
A: Sexy, Crazy, Blunt, Sarcastic, Nobel.

Q: Any set plans coming up as far as competing or anything else?
A: Yes, but it's a secret.



Q: Are you looking for sponsors and how can they contact you?
A: mysterious-xill@comcast.net

Q: Again Barbie, I want to tahnk you for taking the time to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment