Monday, December 13, 2010

Sarah Farr Interview


It is going to be hard, I know. But STOP looking at the photos for a minute. Sarah Farr is a competitor I was introduced to, having little knowledge of her before hand. What I learned is not only is she beautiful and with an incredible physique. She is also a very nice woman and the kind of person you can easily root for. She has competed in a few shows and done well for herself, and at the 2011 Arnold's I expect Sarah to really make a name for herself and become a big name in the fitness industry. Sarah did a really good interview and I am excited to present it to you. OK, you can look at the photos again, but make sure you read the interview to.






Q: First, Sarah, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you. I'm honored to be asked!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am 33 years young and a registered nurse. I work one full and one part time job, both in operating rooms. I LOVE the gory stuff in the OR. Orthopedics is my favorite specialty. I have been married to my husband Ken for eight years. We don't have any children, just a pit bull, a chihuahua, a cat, and two hairless rats. I am the middle child of three girls. I am a native of Austin, Texas and absolutely love it here.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I grew up pretty active in sports. I rode horses, played volleyball, and ran track. In middle school I was four seconds off the state record in the two mile and held the record at my school until about two years ago. I tried to play basketball, but I'm so clumsy that I wasn't any good at it.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My husband bought me my first gym membership at Gold's. He convinced me that fit chicks were hot and it was all downhill from there!


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I guess so. I never really had any trouble with it and really enjoyed weight training. I started to see results very quickly. I think my body likes to train and be fit. I don't put on a lot of muscle easily, but the definition does come fairly quickly as I have always been pretty slim.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: A friend of mine invited me to watch a figure competition in August of 2008 and I knew I was hooked immediately. I had planned to have foot and shoulder surgery the following January. Three days after surgery I was in the gym with one crutch and my arm in a sling doing anything I could to workout. I really began training hard by April and did my first competition that October.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: They were all really surprised that I was willing to wear so little clothing in front of people! As a kid I was always super conservative. I never even liked wearing a swimsuit or low necked shirts, so this was a big shock for them. My husband and little sister have been my biggest cheerleaders. They have both been to all my shows with me. My dad is a little apprehensive still about seeing his little girl up on stage in a bikini so he's only been to one show, but supports me from home. My mom came to my first two shows but works a bunch and it's hard for her to get away.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about?
A: Every show I compete in there is something that surprises me! I guess the craziest thing was the spray tanning experience. My first time getting spray tanned in a room full of naked orange chicks was VERY weird for me! I had no idea. This is the kind of thing you really need to be told before you go so you can be mentally prepared!
Another surprising thing was how nice everyone was. I had been told not to trust anyone and that everybody is out to sabotage you. I'm sure that there are people like that out there, but so far everybody has been friendly with me. I am pretty outgoing and VERY talkative, so I can make friends with strangers easily.


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: My first show was the Texas State Championships in Stafford, TX. This was supposed to be a warmup show for me. I competed in bikini because we didn't think I'd be ready for figure that early. I think we underestimated my metabolism! I thought I looked really good, but I was a little too muscular and didn't really have the right look for bikini. I placed LAST! Ughhh!
My second show was the Lackland Classic in San Antonio, Texas. I placed first in figure B class.
My last show for this season was The Excalibur in LA where I placed sixth in my class.
This year, I started off with first in my class at the Capitol of Texas Roundup and then six days later I got first in my class at The Europa Super Show. I was SOOOOOOO shocked I almost fell off the stage! What an honor!

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My best body part is my stomach. I naturally have a pretty good six pack. Second, I would say is my butt-however, it's the first thing to go when I'm not watching my diet!!!

Q:Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I really like to train shoulders because I love how they look when I put the right amount of work in. I have to be really careful though because I've already had surgery on one of them and they are generally one of those areas that I have to watch really closely to prevent re-injury. I also like to go to the track and do sprints and exercise drills. Its always very uncomfortable when I'm doing it, but the feeling afterwards is awesome. This is the best way for me to lean up my legs and put on muscle at the same time.


Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I try to eat clean all the time. I eat 6-8 times a day every 2-3 hours. I eat lots of egg whites, chicken, and lean fish. I live on bell peppers all the time. I love the orange and yellow ones. They are a great source of fiber and fill me up when I'm dieting. For my carbs I eat oatmeal, quinoa, and sweet potatoes. I also supplement with BNRG's Proto Whey. Chocolate is my favorite flavor. For my fats I eat raw almonds, avocados, and flax seeds. When I'm dieting for a contest my diet is pretty much the same, just with lower calories and fat.
My weightlifting schedule is the same on and off season. I lift 4-5 times a week. I have a shoulder, back, and leg day, and one where I do a lot of full body exercises. I mix in plyometrics, abs, and calves on all of these days. Off season I do about twenty to thirty minutes of cardio four times a week and on season I do 45 minutes six days a week. I count my track workouts as cardio and also like the step mill. For the record, I am part of a group that doesn't really believe in off and on season. You're always training! When its off season you're putting on muscle, when it's on season you're doing the same while leaning up at the same time.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Everyone always wants to know what my ab workout is! I always tell them that abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym. I don't really do a whole lot of abdominal stuff and never anything with weights for abs. This allows me to keep my waist smaller. Overall though, everyone is really positive. The people I work with are always the most surprised that I compete. They see me in baggy scrubs everyday and have no idea that I'm so fit underneath all the layers we wear! The only negatives I get are about my diet. People always tell me that I'm crazy to deprive myself of so much and tell me to "take just one bite"! I HATE that. I know how I am and I can't take just one bite. I'll eat the whole freaking cake! Knowing this keeps me from ever cheating. I can honestly say that the entire time I've dieted for competitions I have not cheated one time! NOT ONCE!!!

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I guess that would have to be about the diet. People can't understand how I can eat the exact same thing everyday for twelve weeks. Most people don't understand how important diet is. Working for a hospital around sick people, I can say that it is the leading cause of the majority of the illnesses and injuries that I see everyday.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Lifting weights often WILL NOT MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A DUDE!!!!! I don't look like a man, do I? People think that you'll turn into a bodybuilder overnight. If they only knew what went into obtaining a physique like that.
The other thing is that we are not all taking steroids! I get asked this all the time. I've never tried them and don't want to. You can be fit and lean without them.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best parts are the relationships you make, the way you learn about who you really are and what's in your heart, the accomplishments you can make, and the way you can take control of your body and completely change your physique.
The worst part is the stress it puts on your relationships. It's a very selfish sport and takes up so much time that you would normally spend with family or friends. Its also so expensive that I've taken a second job just to help pay for everything. This cuts into my free time even more. I generally work 50-60 hours a week, so with training and commuting time there isn't much left.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: My favorite competitor in Monica Brant. I met her right after I first started training for figure and discovered that we were neighbors. I've trained with her since then and we've become really good friends. I admire her for continuing to compete even when she knew what the outcome would be before she stepped on stage. Being a competitor, I know what you put into it and sacrifice for just one show. She did this knowing she was just doing it for the fans with no chance of a trophy or a check. I'm glad to see her in the WBFF now and in the top spot again where she belongs!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I love candy. Its my weakness. The sour stuff really gets me. I can't even keep it in the house. The other thing is Papa Murphy's extra cheese extra pepperoni pizza. YUMMMMMMM

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Get a good trainer. Ask around and do your research before you hire somebody. There are people out there who don't know what they're doing and those that are just in it for themselves. You can't do it without good help. It comes down to whether you want to win or not. It's that important!!
The other thing is DON'T CHEAT ON YOUR DIET! Nobody will ever know if you do it but you. Everything you put in your mouth makes a difference and your trainer can't help you if you're lying to them about what you eat. Diet is one of the most important parts of competing!

Q: Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Absolutely! I've done a couple of photoshoots and felt so at home in front of the camera. I think that there needs to be more emphasis on the fit physique instead of just the skinny ones. Its a beautiful thing and younger people need more role models like this!
Since I was a little girl I've always wanted to be a fitness model!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: You know, I work so much that there isn't really much time for anything else. I do wish that I could ride horses more. That's always been something that's in my heart.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Sarah Farr?
A: I get up at 6:30 in the morning and get ready for work. My commute is about an hour so this is the time I take to catch up with my family and friends on the phone. Lets just say that I have the unlimited plan on my iphone! God gave me the gift of gab big time!!! I work in a big hospital here in Austin full time, so during my twelve hours a day here I will circulate (that's what they call a surgery nurse-a circulator) cases ranging from open hearts, brains, backs, abdominal cases, plastic surgery, gynecology, and orthopedics. It's generally a pretty busy day for me. When my shift is over, I head to the gym for some cardio and weights then head home for some sleep before I do it all over again five days a week. During contest prep I always do my cardio in the morning, so I'm up at 5:30 instead.

Q: Describe Sarah Farr in five words.
A: Crazy, Wild, Emotional, Loving, Dedicated

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have hairless rats! I know! People are eeeeekkkkkkking like crazy right now because everyone thinks rats are gross enough with hair! They're actually really cool. I have two of them, "Rat Flesh" and "Raisin". They are really sweet and surprisingly smart. They don't stink either and are actually really great pets.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I have been accepted to compete at the Arnold so that's where I'll be in March of 2011. I plan to do a national show after that and try to get that elusive pro card.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: First, Monica Brant! She's been a great friend and trainer to me and such an inspiration. She has just started doing contest prep and diet for figure and bikini competitors and is so good at it. She really takes a different approach to it that's more holistic and personal. She makes you feel like a person with feelings and not so much like a piece of meat. So anyone interested in doing well in figure should email her at monica@monicabrant.com for more details.
Second, I have been using BNRG's products for over a year now and have really enjoyed them. Their Proto Whey protein and Power Crunch bars are the best. They taste great and are the only protein supplements I've had that haven't torn up my tummy. You can check them out at www.bnrg.com.
Last, I've been using a new product called i26 hyerimmune egg that has really helped my recovery and performance. They also make a product called FLEX that is great for joint support, essential for any athlete. You can check out their great products at www.legacyforlife.com


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Sarah Farr the athlete and competitor?
A: YES! I would love some sponsors, I don't have any right now and would love to not have to work so much to keep competing. I can be reached by email at sfarr1@mac.com.
With me potential sponsors are getting an up and coming figure competitor and athlete with so much potential on the verge of great things. I've done really well in figure so far and hope to continue this trend into my next season. I've been working really hard to get to the Arnold and can't wait to step on the stage in Columbus.

Q: Sarah , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you so much. It feels good to be able to share all of this with someone. My husband gets tired of hearing it!!! I hope that new or aspiring competitors can find some of this info helpful and I'd love to chat again anytime. Thank you again! XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment