Friday, December 24, 2010

Babette Mulford Interview


Babette Mulford has competed in Figure, Bodybuilding, and her real passion, Fitness. Those who would like to see Fitness competitors start getting the respect they deserve are very happy that Fitness is her passion because having Babette in the division is a real good thing. She is an asset to Fitness and has done and will continue to do amazing. Respect from peers is very important and Babette has a lot of respect from her peers.





Q: First, Babette, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: It's my pleasure, I'm very excited to be asked.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I have more less lived my whole life in the Solon, Iowa area. I have two nieces I adorn and they each share special talents with me. The 3 year old is a sprinter and loves to dance. The 6 year old loves to sew and hunt!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any
sports or anything?
A: I grew up water skiing with my Dad. In grade school I played soccer, ran track, was a flag girl for the band, did swing choir and poms/cheerleading.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was on the CR Spirits dance team and we danced at an intermission of an area bodybuilding competition. I found myself very interested. This was back when they
only had bodybuilding. I stayed after the intermission and totally fell in love.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I think, I picked up the training fairly easy. My dad had my brother and I training at a young age. It's the eating that is my challenge. In 2001, when I did my first bodybuilding competition I used a friends diet and saw results right
away since my body hadn't done anything like that before.


Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I'm a very competitive person and always want to be challenging myself. I love
the thought of putting the music, theme, costume and watching how I can improve my body.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My parents will attend any event I want but I find it stressful to have to entertain them when I really need to be relaxing.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: I think it is what I expected

Q: Can you share your contest history?
A: I started with bodybuilding in 2001 then did fitness a few years. In 2006-2007 I did figure and ran a couple marathons.... Then back to my passion of FITNESS!

10. As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one. Can I
say smile? What would be even better is if I could say laugh. I'm
told at lot that I have a great laugh. But back to your real
question...I have to say my back.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Not that I can think of. I do like using the Bosu ball alot.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train with Mike Davies so I just try to do everything he sends me. It's perfect for me. I don't need someone to work out with me. I love Mike's Cardios and diets.


Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative.
A: A mix of both. People normally have questions.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: This is bad but "will you help me". I of course want to but most people want results right away and don't want to make any life style changes.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: As far as me as an individual, people don't understand that I have the time to train this much because I don't have a family. Women wouldn't have to spend
as much time as I do.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best is that I'm very structured and working out is now as daily an activity
as brushing my teeth. The worst part of training might be I wish I could use any machine or room whenever I want but that's just plain silly and unrealistic.


Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I have had the honer of training for a weekend at Adela Garcia's house
back when she lived in Illinois. I did a PHAT camp with Jen Hendershot and of course I LOVE being able to email Julie Palmer! I have made two great friends and actually am getting teary eyed saying this Wendy Garnder and Viko Newmen. They both are so positive, share my views, and they both are two people I look to for silly
answers. I respect what they have to say. They would tell me the truth even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.


Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Sandi Sturt's "crack"... she made the dessert for me this last July. I could kick her in the backside for sending me the recipe.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: It's a great way to learn about yourself... and get ready to pee more then you have ever pee'd in your life. I drink 2 gallons of water a day. I wonder if people sometime think I have a problem. But oh, well... really they are more likely the one with the problem and don't get enough water a day. I know they don't need 2 gallons a day but I'm sure they should be drinking more.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym training as hard as men?
A: SURE

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I teach a Mommy and Me dance class for the CR Spirits. I love to sew, bow hunt, play on the Internet, read and make lists.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Babette Mulford.
A: Up at 4, gym, work, gym, bed... eating every two hours...and I'm excited everyday that this is my chosen life style

Q: Describe Babette Mulford in five words.
A: Positive, Resourceful, Motivational, Perseverant and Silly

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I bow deer hunt alone. I started doing it for the lean meat not because
my dad and brother gun hunt or not because of a boyfriend. Just because I wanted to learn more about it and fine the amazing ab workout of using my climbing tree stand and just getting up in the tree can be worth it. There is no other feeling like the fresh air. It's so calm. I have gotten two of my deers after I feel asleep and woke
to having them right there in my site.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I have my music cut, I have CJ Elite working on a new two piece and I'm ready for the 2011 season!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: CR Spirits, Mike Davies- Fitness Factory, CJ Elite, Nutri-Sport

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you?
A: I'm always looking for help with my training expenses. I can be reached by babette.mulford@gmail.com


Q: Babette, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: No matter what your dreams maybe take even the smallest steps to
achieve it. The only way you fail is if you don't try.

1 comment: