Thursday, December 9, 2010

IFBB Pro Kristal Martin Interview


You know someone is special when in a short time they go from someone you are not to familiar with, to someone you would call a personal favorite. That is the case with Kristal Martin. Her great attitude and great physique, which resulted in her winning her IFBB Pro card at the 2010 Team Universe make her the kind of competitor people can instantly become a fan of. Kristal will make her Pro debut in 2011, and is no doubt someone who will do great in the Pro division and represent the IFBB very well.





Q: First, Kristal, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No, no, no...thank YOU! :)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Hmmm...where do I start? My name is Kristal Martin and I'm not really sure where I'm from at this point, lol. I've lived in seven states (New Hampshire, Michigan, Illinois, California, Virginia, Florida and New Jersey). As you can see, me and my family moved a lot growing up! I hated it at the time, but looking back it definitely made me into the strong and independent person I am today. My family is everything to me. My parents are still together and madly in love after 39 years. My mom is my best friend and I talk to her a million times a day and my dad is someone I have always looked up to and admired. I also have an older brother who I adore (even though he picks on me - the typical big brother/little sister scenario - haha).

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I always played sports growing up and have been a tomboy my whole life. I played mostly soccer and basketball.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I started lifting weights when I was 19 years old. I had just gotten out of an unhealthy relationship which put me in the emergency room twice. At the time I was 5'8" and 115lbs with no muscle whatsoever. I started lifting because I felt empowered when I was in the gym. The stronger I got physically, the stronger I felt mentally/emotionally.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I started to see results immediately and it was definitely something I picked up quickly. I've always been really big on proper technique which I feel has prevented me from having any serious injuries (knock on wood). I also always trained with guys growing up which I feel gave me an advantage when it came to putting on significant size.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was at the gym and the mother of a competitor came up to me and asked me if I competed. I had no clue what she was talking about - what was "competing"? lol I started researching everything and knew I wanted to start training for a show. I began working Mike Davies from the Fitness Factory and have never looked back! I drove out to Ohio to train with him and the girls and was immediately inspired and motivated.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My family had no clue what it was all about - but they were extremely supportive.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: The only thing that surprised me was how much a person can sweat when they get nervous! My first show was the Arnold and I was walking around backstage with toilet paper and paper towels shoved in my armpits to help preserve my tan from the "sweat drip". LOL I knew I would be nervous but didn't realize it would be THAT bad. Now when I'm backstage I put socks under my arms to help - I've found it works much better than paper towels :)


Q: You one your Pro card at the 2010 Team Universe. What did that pro card mean to you personally?
A: Winning my Pro card at Team Universe was a feeling I can't describe. My five year old nephew, Cameron, had been battling an inoperable brain tumor (pontine glioma) leading up to the show. The emotions and frustrations I felt during that difficult time drove me and pushed me even harder in the gym. My heart was breaking for him and my family and the only thing that kept me sane was working out. Workouts with both tears and sweat became the norm.

After battling terminal cancer for 15 months, hospice was called in two days before my show. My first reaction was to drop out of the competition and fly down to Florida to be with my family. However, they all told me to stay and compete. They wanted me to go out there and represent for my entire family and win my Pro card for Cameron. I felt such a sense of pride up there on that stage. It may sound silly, but during my families darkest hours...getting my Pro card was a much needed distraction - it was a positive moment for all of us. Before I walked on stage I had talked to my brother (Cameron's father) and he said "Go out there, kick ass, win that Pro card and tell everyone you know about Cameron Roy Martin." I've been telling people about him and sharing his story ever since :) Cam has since passed away, but his story lives on. My goal is to bring awareness to pediatric brain tumors - and hopefully one day in my lifetime we will find a cure.

Q: Can you share your contest history
A:
*(figure)2006 East Coast Tournament of Champions (2nd place) Washington DC
*(figure)2006 BodyRock (8th place) Maryland
*(bikini)2010 Arnold Classic Amateur (2nd place) Ohio
*(bikini)2010 NPC Metropolitan Bikini (3rd place) New York
*(bikini)2010 Team Universe (2nd place) New Jersey - IFBB BIKINI PRO


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Booty booty booty! (and legs) I'm naturally tall and skinny so I'm proud of the junk in my trunk I've acquired over my years of training. Genetics definitely played NO part and have always worked against me - my butt is the result of my hard work in the gym.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Booty booty booty! I LOVE LUNGES.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I always eat pretty clean and train hard. Contest prep is the usual low carb, high protein diet.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Its always positive - most people are more interested in the training/dieting aspect than the whole "putting on heels and standing onstage" part.


Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A" I HATE when I'm in the gym right before a show and guys make comments like "she must be on steroids". Guess what dummy - when you get off your fat ass and actually DIET and TRAIN HARD...you too can get vascular and lean. Its just annoying. Its only happened once or twice but it drives me crazy. And I'm a bikini competitor! I don't even have a lot of muscle!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Just live and let live. I get so annoyed with people who make negative comments about muscular women. Not so much with the bikini division - but with the figure and bb girls. Not a damn thing wrong with muscle on a woman - and just because it may not be everyone's cup of tea doesn't give you a right to judge. ALL women are beautiful and should be respected - skinny/fat, tall/short, etc doesn't matter. Live and let live!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best part of competing is seeing the way your body changes week after week when getting ready for a show. Worst part is rebounding. I've rebounded pretty bad after each show - its my downfall. I know its a weakness of mine and I'm working on it.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Jodie Minear (figure competitor) is one of my favs. I'm also a fan of Amanda Latonas butt :)

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Uhhhhh....EVERYTHING. Nachos, pizza, donuts, oreos, peanut butter cups...you name it...I love it.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Doooooo iiiiiiiiiit! Don't hesitate - don't make excuses - don't quit. Whatever the reason is to get in the gym and start training - just MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women in the gym training as hard as men?
A: I definitely think so. I have seen some badass women - young and old - training hard at the gym. Its refreshing and inspiring.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Spending time with family and friends. I'm a homebody and enjoy just vegging out with my boyfriend and our two pit bulls.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kristal Martin?
A: Eat, train, work, sleep. :) Throw in a lot of smiles/laughter along the way and that pretty much sums it up!

Q: Describe Kristal Martin in five words.
A: Independent, Intelligent, Stubborn, Loyal, Driven

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I drool in my sleep. LOL I can't help it! I honestly do the infamous "pillow flip" about twenty times a night :) Sexy...I know...

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Will be making my Pro debut in 2011. Not sure which shows yet...but I can't wait!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I'd just like to encourage everyone to visit www.wish.org (Make-A-Wish Foundation) and also www.stjude.org (St. Judes Childrens Hospital). Whether its volunteering your time, donating money, or just educating yourself about what these children and families go through - I encourage everyone to open your minds and your hearts to these amazing organizations.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Kristal Martin the athlete and competitor?
A: Yessir! email me at kristalmar10@yahoo.com I'm cute, I'm fun, I'm smart and I'm a hard worker. Nuff said :)

Q: Kristal , again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Just tell the people in your life you love them and take care of one another. Lifes too short. don't sweat the small stuff, BE in the moment, and SMILE! xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Great interview, and very inspirational. Cameron's story is heartbreaking, and it reminds me of why I stay involved with the Children's Miracle Network. Best of luck to you, Kristal!

    -Keelie
    www.sweatequalssuccess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 <3 <3 This girl. Cameron always gets me choked up and I rebound hard too - bikini girl or not, the fat is fat :) Great interview Kristal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview!!! It's never too late to train, even for me after having 4 kids!!! XxDani

    ReplyDelete