Friday, June 25, 2010

Tricia Bailey Interview




When I ask her to tell a little about herself Tricia Bailey uses the words discipline, determination, and sacrifice. Well that is how you end up looking as amazing as Tricia. Once weighing 215lbs, she now has one of the best physiques you will see. She has a love and passion for what she does and it comes across when you read her words or see her on stage. Tricia just recently did Jr. Nationals, her first National competition, and she looked incredible. Tricia is going to keep getting better and better, and there is every reason to believe that a Pro card will be in her hands one day, and not too far from now.



Q: First, Tricia, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: You're absolutely welcome! I am at your service!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am from a small town called Hudson, Michigan where there was more dairy cows than population! So I am a country girl by heart. I work hard and I play hard. Living on a farm growing up there wasn't much room for belly aching and excuses. Chores and jobs had to get done! I believe having grown up with that instilled at a young age set the tone for the rest of my life. Discipline, determination and sacrifice! This is hard for me because I am not used to writing and talking about myself. I tend to keep a humble and modest lifestyle, helping others! So bear with me!
Those harnessed skills allowed me to excel in basketball, volleyball and softball. I was a 9 Varsity Letter Award winner (on Varsity sports from Soph-Senior year) and voted amongst my fellow senior athletes and our coaches as the 1999 Female Senior Athlete of the Year. Throughout high school I was reasonably decorated with' First and Second Team All League' awards while maintaining a 3.8 GPA. I was the Tom Boy and The Jock..... and also voted my senior year as 'The class garbage disposal'. Haha, I think what they meant was ' That girl could eat!'!! I think not being an athlete in college allowed me to go through some very turbulent times with the relationship with myself and others that ultimately allowed me to be who and where I am today. Without the discipline of a sport in college - an essential part of my being was missing. Being an athlete is very much a part of my DNA as my eye color. Â This missing element, was proper knowledge in fueling my body. My parents were great 'down home cooks' and made food that tasted good. Not having that key element allowed me to put on the Freshman 15, the Sophomore 15, the Junior 15 and so on! I gained 75 lbs in 3 years of college. Hoorah! I lived the college life.... and had zero focus, zero discipline and lots of the wrong kind of influence. In today's light, I see that I wouldn't be where I am and who I am today without going through so much.
Throughout all that turmoil of partying, binge eating and not putting my education nor my health higher in priority - guided me into a career path of health and wellness while transforming my own body. At my heaviest in 2003 I was 215lbs and 30+% body fat. Today I own a wellness company that I established in 2004, T.A.B. Massage & Fitness, Inc where we are 'Creating a Happier, Healthier, You" and I am in the best shape of my life at 145lbs and 11% body fat. I am a Nationally Certified Massage Therapist, Certified Personal Trainer-NASM and a Holistic/Performance Nutrition Counselor.


Q: Then Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? What sports did you play?
A: I played Basketball, Volleyball and Softball and as a kid I played floor hockey and ran track and did shot put in Jr. high! I grew up on a farm so there wasn't much of a dull moment!

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I grabbed a Muscle ad Fitness Hers in Jan 2003 where there was a beginners guide to weight lifting. The model on the cover was enough for me. If this is what I could look like by doing resistance training and eating clean, then by God that is what I was going to do!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Weight training was something that came very natural to me. My years on the 'farm' ...lol... I always was strong. I was always solid and coordinated and wasn't afraid to get down, get dirty or sweat! From Jan 2003 to Dec 2003 I lost about 45lbs and started to see some beautiful shoulders and arms develop! My legs took a lot longer as I was afraid to lift heave at first because I didn't want to get any bigger legs! I giggle at that now because I hear the same thing with my clients!

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was hooked on Oxygen magazine--- oogling the women with their mini-bodybuilder physiques. Finally after a few years of just looking at magazines and having a journal on bodybuilding.com (NGR8SHAPE) I decided to go with my best friend and boy friend, Matt, down to the Arnold Classic in 2008. The Pro Women on stage absolutely blew my mind with the level of dedication, discipline and courage it took to get their bodies in such impeccable condition. When I left the Arnold in 2008 I had a plethora of motivation and inspiration. I can still picture that moment in my mind of when I was watching the Women's Finals. I couldn't pick my jaw off the floor. Today I still marvel at the discipline it takes for anyone to set that kind of goal, that puts their nose to the ground and gets to work and doesn't quit. With 3 shows under my belt and Nationals to prep for, I am right there and I encourage as many women as possible to live their dream and don't ever give up.


Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Not many people understood what Figure Competitions really were. Once they had seen me on stage and realized the discipline and time and dedication it took in the many months leading up to the stage, they respected it. They may not be able to understand the why behind one competes but they loved being a part of my passion!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Competing was a huge eye opener. All the minute details that go into perfecting your stage aura, to your hair, your nails, not streaking your tan, and squeeze and breathe and oh yeah SMILE! It was so fun and I was bit!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*Oct. 2008 Western Michigan 4th place Tall Class
*March 2009 Novice Michigan 3rd place Tall class
*May 2009 Michigan Championships Tied 1st place Tall
*June 18th 2010 NPC JR. Nationals 7th place F Class

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: DELTS!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love to train my back and my glutes! RDL's and Chin Ups!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: HA! Normal? There's nothing normal about how I train and eat. I can't reveal my secrets! I figured out that my body responds best to heavy and intense lifts- even in prep for a show. We stay moderate in the way we eat in or off season! Just more damn cardio for prep time!

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: They say "wow, that's a lot of work. I couldn't do that". Or " yeah, she could kick my ass." They seem to misconceive that just because I have muscles, that I am mean and aggressive. They also jump to conclusions that they cant do what I do because they cant give up this or that food... I just say, "well, whether you believe you can or can't, you're right".

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I am frustrated when people say "Oh it must be nice to be able to have that kind of time to workout". Because those are the people that don't make time to prioritize their health.
Everyone has commitments, responsibilities and priorities. You can't give to others what you don't possess yourself. It's almost impossible to teach, mentor and inspire fellow women, men and even your own children if you don't take care of your own physical, mental and emotional health first. And if your physical, mental and emotional health is not of priority then you have to acknowledge the detrimental affects that has on your role of being the best boss, employee, parent or spouse you can be.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: The biggest misconception that I come across is they automatically think that my diet is different in the off season as it is during a prep. The foods I eat are no different. I don't poison my body with junk just because I am in off season. I eat and train they way I do because I love being hardcore and a clean whole food eater. I don't eat and train the way I do because I compete, rather I eat and train the way I do because ITS ME and being on stage is just an expression of my dedication and passion to the Iron Game.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best is that moment of self actualization, the date that you set a year ago has come to this moment. All the hours, the gut busting work, the pain, the victories.... all come to one moment. It's knowing that no matter what -- you didn't give up. The worst thing as that as my body fat gets lower, my brain gets a little fuzzy and my patience for certain things doesn't exist.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Davana Medina. Do I need to say more?

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Crunchy Sunflower Butter ( but I get to have this no matter what season) But if you were to ask my boyfriend, he knows that my post comp meal will always be Chicago Style Pizza--- the real deal BABY!!!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: You need to sit down with yourself and be real and honest. Figure out what it is that YOU really want. Write it down. Make a plan. DO YOUR HOMEWORK with trainers/nutritionists. Don't settle for the dude that sits behind the counter at the gym all day. Have the courage to stand out from the cardio bunnies and be willing to work hard!



Q: Do you get a lot of friends asking for diet tips?
A: Yes.... and oye...yes..... ! Everyday!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I am an avid reader on psychology and spirituality books. I enjoy any activity with my Matthew! I love to write! I like to travel but don't take an effort to do that much right now! I love my two fur kids; Aza and Bongo!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Tricia Bailey.
A: OH MY!! Are you sure???
wake: anywhere between 5-6am
 5-7am: Eat/Cook/prep food for day/pack gym bag. Computer work, emails, plan day for clients
7am leave for gym (When I have 7am clients I leave at 6:40am)
7-9am train clients or I train at 7am and then have clients from 9-11am.
11am Shower/eat
11:45 leave for my office
See 5 or 6 Massage clients from 12:30-8pm
I eat about every 90 minutes and every one of my clients has seen me eat! CHOMP CHOMP!
Home between 8:30 and 9:30pm
Eat again 9:30-10
Emails/computer stuff 10-11
Bed between 10:30 and 11pm
Phew!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I used to be 215lbs, a smoker and binge drinker in college!

Q: Describe Tricia Bailey in five words.
A: Passionate, Dedication, Inspiration, Giving, Iron Amazon

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Jr Nationals in Chicago 2010 (Tricia has since done this show and looked amazing)

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: www.trueironamazon.com
www.tabmassage.com

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Tricia the athlete and competitor?
A: Once you read the website and blog above, My heart and soul goes into my role as an educator, motivator and leader. My mission, my voice, my road. They can reach me by visiting the sites above ;-)

Q: Tricia, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for letting others hear my voice and reason through the misconceptions of the competing world. People need to learn to listen to their inner voice. Be true to who you are and why you do what you do. Namaste`

1 comment:

  1. Love this! You are a true to the fitness world and show a real dedication to promoting and advancing the health and wellness industry. Congrats on your accomplishments and best wishes for your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete