Thursday, June 24, 2010

NGA, FAME/WNSO, and OCB/IFPA Pro Drexel Long Interview








If holding three different bodybuilding Pro cards doesn't tell you all you need to know about the athlete Drexel Long is, then read below about her track accomplishments. Drexel is an athlete, plain and simple. But she is also an amazing woman outside the world of athletics. She is someone I have gotten to know and have so much respect and admiration for. She is always quick to lend an encouraging word. And that is not just about bodybuilding or training, she is quick to do it for any scenario. This is one interview I am honored to present, so here is my interview with Drexel Long, welcome to her gun show.




Q: First, Drexel, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Jason, Your welcome and thank you for featuring me.

Q: Can you start out by just telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm a Philly/Jersey gurl now living in Tx. I'm a middle school Physical Education Teacher and Track Coach. I luv working out and doing photoshoots. I like meeting fitness minded people.

Q: Before bodybuilding, where you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Yes, I was. I did field hockey and track before doing bodybuilding. I lettered in field hockey for 4 yrs.
I was ranked #2 in the nation in the 400m dash behind Marion Jones my Sr. Yr in HS. I received a full track scholarship to the U of Houston, where I was coached by the same coaches who coached Carl Lewis and other Olympians.

Q: What initially led you into the gym, and was bodybuilding the goal from day one.
A: In 2000 I stopped running track and took a year off because I was frustrated with my running times. After a year of not working out, I picked up the book Body for Life by Bill Phillips and followed his program and liked what I saw. Working out again also got me interested in competing because I was working out at a gym called Fonde Recreation Center here in Houston. There were pictures of female bodybuilders, one that caught my eye was Lenda Murray. I told myself I could be just like her, so I went to the local bookstore and got all the bodybuilding magazines. After reading all of them I decided I need to get a trainer and the rest is herstory.

Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How soon before you started to see results?
A: Weight training has always been part of my athletic career starting in HS w/ track. The program I did after taking a year off was 12 weeks long. I liked the results and wanted to get better, so that made me look into getting a trainer to get better results.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: Once I hired my trainer in April of that year, we picked a show, the John Sherman Classic in Nov of that year, but didn't do it because I was in a car accident that summer. The air bag snapped my wrist and I wasn't able to work upper body for 4 months. I decide to compete to see what my determination, work outs and diet could do.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: Family and friends were and still are very supportive. They joke about what I eat but are always asking me for tips...lol

Q: Was the first show what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: WOW my 1st show (NPC) was everything I expected because I attended a show and worked a show so I would have an idea of how the show might go. The SURPRISE, it was the 1st year for the show and I was the ONLY female bodybuilder in the WHOLE SHOW.

Q:Can you share your contest history?
A:
2008
*IFPA Pro Yorton Cup - 8th place
*NGA NOPI Pro - 9th place
*FAME World Pro Championships WORLD CHAMP- 6th place Muscle Model
*FAME Diana Chaloux Central Championships-1st place Advance Bodybuilder (Pro card awarded)and 2nd place Advance Muscle Model
2007
*NGA Southern States Pro (debut)- 1st place
*OCB Texas Shredder- 2nd place, as a Fitness model
2006
*Musclemania Superbody- 2nd place Open
*NGA Southern States Extravaganza- 1st place Heavyweight Overall winner and Pro card awarded
*INBF American Championships- 2nd place Heavyweight
2005
*NPC Jr. Nationals- Top 10 Light Heavyweight
After competing at the Jr. Nationals, I made the decision to only compete in natural drug free shows
2004
*NPC John Sherman Classic- 2nd place as a Light heavyweight.
This qualified me to compete at a national show for 2 yrs.
*NPC Central Texas Cup (1st yr show)- I won my 1st show as a heavyweight, not only was I the only one in my class but I was the ONLY female bodybuilder in the whole show

Q: What is your best body part or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: BEST body part there is a tie between: arms, shoulders and back. People are always noticing my arms. So I now I have the name MsGuns.

Q:Do you have a favorite part to train?
A: My fav body parts to train are arms, shoulders and back.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Training routine for off season is 3-4 days a week weights and 3 days cardio, for show prep its training is 5 days a week and cardio 6 days (2x/a day). My diet during off season isn't as strict as show prep.

Q:When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Ive always had positive reactions: they are amazed and give me props. Online is where I get the negative reaction: 9 times out of 10 its from a jealous man.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Can I touch?", "flex for me" and "how much do you lift?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders, or the thing you most wish people understood?
A: Not all females take drugs to get the muscles they have- check out natural drug free female bodybuilders in the OCB, IFPA, UFE, FAME, IDFA and NGA. I think we are perfect: not to BIG and not to small but JUST RIGHT

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more or less accepted by society today then five years ago?
A: It depends on what muscular women you are talking about. The natural looking ones are accepted. The enhanced ones are not.

Q: You are a member of Team UFE. Can you tell what that is?
A: UFE is a natural drug free organization in Canada. www.ufeshows.com Last year I participated in the Facebook UFE's spokesmodel online contest. The top 5 finishers were selected as Team UFE. As a member I will help promote UFE in the US.

Q: You have a great website as well. Can you give out the address and tell people what they can find there.
A: Thanks...its called www.flexwithdrex.com You can find my bio, competition herstory and sponsorship info. Its being revamped by Jmiah of www.Jmaihonline.com

Q: Do you have any favorite bodybuilders?
A: My fav fbbs are: Lenda Murray, Tina Chandler, Beni Lopez, Karly Green, Carolyn Brinkley, Maria Carolina Davis, Nicole Ball and Klaudia Larson.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Chic-fil-a

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician?
A: Fav actor: Denzel Washington, Van Diesel, Sam L Jackson, Will Smith, Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Steve Martin and others
Fav actress: Sanaa Lathan, Julia Roberts, Nia Long, Sandra Bullock, Queen Latifah, Angeline Jolie and others.
Fav movie: Coach Carter, Gridiron, Dodgeball, Wedding Crashers, Shawshank Redemption, Avatar, Rocky and others.
Fav tv show: CNN (Nancy Grace), Lifetime, 24, sportscenter
Fav musician: anybody w/ a funky fast beat...

Q: Describe Drexel Long in five words.
A: Energy, Drive, Ambition, Determined and Strong-Willed

Q: Any set plans coming up as far as competing or anything else?
A: After doing 13 shows I believe I have one more left in me which will be Nov 14th in Hamilton, ON- the UFE Nationals (www.UFEshows.com). Then Ill hang up the posing suits and get into crossfit. I hope to learn and master the different exercises and qualify for sectionals, regionals and the GAMES in 2011. I plan to get more work as a sports model. I'm always in some kind of online voting contest so keep a look out for me.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I would like for people to check out Body By Vi products:
Wanna lose weight, gain muscle, maintain what you have, join me on the Body by Vi's 90 day fitness challenge www.msguns.bodybyvi.com
Wanna earn FREE products, make XTRA $$$ and WIN a paid for BMW, join me @ www.visalus.com

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Drexel Long the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes, I am always looking for sponsors to help me reach my goals of being the best I can. They can contact me at my site www.flexwithdrex.com and check out my sponsorship page. They will get a hard working natural drug free athlete. An athlete who does not give up until her goals are reached.

Q: Again, Drexel, it has been an honor to have you do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Jason, I want to say thank you for the opportunity to interview with you.
Thank you for being so patience with me. Thanks for supporting ALL women of ALL sports. You are AWESOME!
Luv,
Ms. Guns

No comments:

Post a Comment