Saturday, June 12, 2010

Christy Wolfe Interview









I remember the first time I ever saw Christy Wolfe. It was a picture that focused on her abs. I stared for awhile, then finally looked at the rest. Her abs were amazing, but then I saw how beautiful she also is. I have been an admirer of Christy for awhile, then finally at the Arnold's got a chance to meet her, guess what? She is even more beautiful in person and such a ncie person as well. In this industry it seems there is always at least one person who thinks negative of someone. I have never heard a negative word spoken about Christy. She has been competing since 1999 and is improving each time and looks better each time. Also a fitness model, I would think every photographer would be lining up to shoot Christy. Now she also has a great clothing and competition suit line called Wolf Designs. Christy is an amazing woman and this is an interview I am so honored to have been able to do.





Q: First Christy, thanks so much for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem at all, thank you ;)

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born in raised in London, Ontario. I live here with my amazing husband Jamie.I have been training for 13 years, competing for 11. I love the summer, and spend a lot of time on the lake wakeboarding, or tanning ;). I work in the supplement industry, but recently started my own clothing and competition suit line "wolfdsigns". New launch of fitness wear this summer.

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I have always played sports from a very young age. Soccer, volleyball, basketball.Cross country. All board sports - wakeboarding, snowboarding...even tried skateboarding. I realized skinned knees don't look too great in photoshoots so that hobby ended fast....(It's on my bucket list to start it up again) Once I started high school I really thought weight training and aerobics were interesting, so joined a gym. It became very addictive.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: A new gym opened up near my home in high school, I wanted to try working out. Practices, and games for high school teams took up a lot of extra time, especially with studies and holding up a part time job. Now I could keep in shape on my own time.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: I actually started with just cardio for 3 months. I lost 25 pounds, and I really wasn't that big to begin with. People started telling me I was too skinny....that I looked very unhealthy. I think it shocked my system....When your young, and play sports you usually have a fast metabolism. I thought maybe if I start lifting weights I put on some lean mass, but stay trim...perfect combo ;) No freshman 15 for me!!!

Q: You did your first competition, the Sudbury Regionals in 1999. What made you decide to compete?
A: Once I started with weights, I love the results. Definition, strength, ABS!!!....it became my way of life. I I decided to give myself a goal, so why not a show?

Q: Was the first one what you expected? Any memories of the show?
A: LOL....It was a great experience! I loved the people, the other competitors we great because most of us were at our first competition. Same boat,so to speak. I met my photographers Doug Schneider and Dave Paul for the first time. They have been shooting me ever since and became great friends. I look back at pictures, and it reminds me of my crazy platinum hair! lol....that was an accident, but I loved it....first time being blond (or white I guess...;)

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported?
A: My Mom and Dad are very supportive. They have numerous copies of every magazine I'm in, come to all of my shows. i was surprised that my Dad wasn't more strict about me being scantly clad in photos, but I think he's to proud to care. (or hasn't seen them all) He just figured out facebook...so he will prob see soon enough! lol
My husband is great too....he doesn't compete, he's more into the whole boardsport industry, but he keeps me on track, cooks my meals, helps with tan. He knows how focused I am when it comes to shows...he loves the after show cheat dinner....doesn't see me eat like that too often!, or drink!

Q: You have competed in Figure and Fitness. Besides the obvious routine aspect, are there any differences in prepping for one vs the other?
A: Fitness requires a lot more training. Don't get me wrong, we train a lot for figure as well....but having a routine, whew! That's many more countless hours in the studio.
I give fitness girls so much respect. It's tough! My running man move just didn't cut it. lol No back flips from this girl unless it's behind a boat, into the water!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Wow! There's a lot.....I'll try to remember as many as I can!

OPA Sudbury Regional 1999,
OPA London Western Regionals 2000, 2001,2003,2005
OPA Ontario's 1999,2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007
Canadians 2003
Natural Ontarios 2003, 2005, 2006
Natural Canadians World Qualifier 2003,2004, 2005,2006.
Worlds in Santa Susanna, Spain - 2005
North Americans - Cleveland OHIO - 2008
SAF (Serious about fitness Elite Model search) - 2008, 2009
Fitness Star Toronto - 2009, 2010
Wakestock Bikini contest 2004,2005,2006,2007
I may have left a few out,....there's so many ;)
The furthest I have gone is the WORLD's in Spain 2005. It was the most amazing experience. It felt like the Olympics, and I met so many people with the same dreams from all over the world. Can't ask for much more then that!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I'm always eating healthy and training, but when contest season starts I generally give myself 12 weeks to be ready. I used to do it in 9, but not I realize I'm much more prepared with those extra weeks in there. Diet remains strict, no cheats.I allow myself one night before 6 weeks out to have a couple glasses of red wine....that's it.

Q: It is no secret your abs are among the best in the sport. Would you consider that your best body part, or something else?
A: Awe thanks *blush*....I like shoulders.....I have to be careful...I love training them, and they can get really big, fast. (Thanks Dad!)..lol

Q: DO you have a favorite part to train?
A: Shoulders and Back.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most of the time positive. I have a lot of women who like my physique because
I'm still feminine....but have size. I like to promote a healthy, natural physique in the industry.

Q: When they see it that firs time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "How much can you bench?", "Wanna arm wrestle?" That's the most annoying thing to ask a girl... Who care's,...and no.

Q: Are there any misconceptions about women who train and compete or anything you wish people understood?
A: A lot of people think girls with muscle like to fight....I think it's funny. I think some people find us crazy when they hear what it takes to compete....to be honest it just becomes your lifestyle. Yes you need discipline and motivation and willpower, but why do it if your not going to give it your all.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society for women to train and add muscle than in the past?
A: Yes I do. More and more women these days are wanted to get in shape and look
like they work out. The skinny waif look isn't an ideal anymore...the heath and fitness industry has become bigger in the last 10 years.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Homemade Choc Chip Cookies!!!

Q: Any competitors you admire or are a fan of?
A: Monica Bryant, Mindi O'Brien, Amy Fadlhi, Trish Stratus
(I looked up to all of these women as I grew as an athlete....they have all been my inspiration)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Give it everything you've got, when you see what your doing really is working, you'll push harder.....just have patience. Remember your doing this for yourself, and no one else.

Q: You also do fitness modeling. What got you interested in that and what do you enjoy about it?
A: I'm also an artist. I find photoshoots to be creative and beautiful pieces of art, especially when it's shots of the human body. Shoots are fun and let me be myself.

Q: Is the modeling where you are focusing your attention for now?
A: I'm heading in both directions. It's hard to leave figure...I plan on competing again in the near future. I have a couple shows, and photoshoots planned for this year.
My bikini line will be taking up a lot of my time as well....we will have to see what the future holds...;)

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Wakeboarding....the beach....boating....beach...dancing....beach....lol
did I mention I love the beach.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Christy Wolfe.
A: Up at 6:00 - train, work till 4, train, walk my pups...(2 Chihuahuas) and I usually have some suit designs to work on. Basically same as any other competitor....work and train and eat...lol
Except Sunday's...My husband and I call it "No effort Sunday's"....we always do something together. (if I get a rest day from the gym...this is the day.)

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm a bit of a Tomboy...Like dirtbikes, paintball and video games....(as long as I still get to look stylish & cute, which probably isn't a surprise)

Q: Describe Christy Wolfe in Five words
A: Creative, Dedicated, Loyal, Funny, Passionate

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: My Line will launch this year, and you'll be seeing many of my suit designs on stage this year. as for shows....have a couple in mind. I'm in training as we speak!

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: My Sponsor!!! www.rippedfreak.com, www.supplementsource.ca,
and of course my website should be up and running by June 1st www.wolfdsigns.com

Q: Christy, again, thanks so much for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for wanting to get to know me a little better....I hope to meet up with you again soon. I will be kicking in the industry for many more years to come...I love every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment