Saturday, June 26, 2010

NGA Pro Kayte Steenberg Interview




In the title for this interview it says NGA Pro Kayte Steenberg. I think I could just as easily have said Future IFBB Pro Kayte Steenberg. She said that's what she wants, and something tells me, when Kayte wants something she will work as hard as needed and get it. As you can see, Kayte already looks incredible, and there is no doubt she will keep getting better. One thing I really like is how important it seems to be to her to inspire others. I hope Kayte is aware she is very inspiring. If you don't know Kayte yet, get to know her. She is going to be a star in this industry.







Q: First Kayte I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No thank you Jason! I am always thrilled and love to answer questions :-)

Q: Can yous tart out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well I was born in Buffalo, New York and have moved around a lot due to my fathers job as an engineer with FMC. North Carolina, Kansas, Philadelphia. All I have actually fell in love with, especially Kansas!!
I actually started horse back riding and competing in shows and was in 4-H. I was qualified for States a couple of times and won twice with my Arabian Tiffoli. My true passion is horseback riding. Unfortunately after moving a few times and ending back in Buffalo, I had to sell Tiffoli before I went to college. Sad! I was torn. Riding was my release. But when I hit college I actually discovered another release, running. I ran every day and occasionally worked out at my gym in college. Not until I started working at Bally Total Fitness and training is when I really became obsessed with weight training. I met my future husband at Bally's where he was a trainer there too :-) He was training for a show and that is where my flame was lit!!!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Besides horseback riding and running, I played baseball. I was the only girl on a male baseball team. We were awesome. I was presented with the only female trophy after winning our championship.
I dabbled in a few sports in college, cross country, lacrosse, and even some volleyball. But ultimately, I loved being on my own and training was my new release.

Q: What initially got you in the gym?
A: Like I stated above, after I sold my hose I needed a new release. I began working at Bally's and just loved the environment. My now husband Tim was a trainer and was preparing for an NPC local show. Seeing him become so disciplined with training and diet I was immediately drawn in and hooked!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you saw results?
A: Well I've got to say I was a cardio junkie. Running in college I had such a mindset that it was the only way to stay lean. Also I was restricting my calories so that became a toxic combination!
I started to see results after about a month or so. I cut down my running to 30 minutes or just did the elliptical. I was feeling stronger every week.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: It was definitely the hubs that made me jump into the competition ring. I wanted to be driven, determined, and even ripped too!! TO be honest I have always been strict with dieting. I thought why not take it to the next level? It also reminded me of competing with horses when I had Tiffoli. It was really exciting.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: OH BOY....not really. My mom was of course, "OH Kathryn...you're getting skinny!!OH Kathryn why are you doing this, it is so unhealthy." Just a concerned mother of course. But the night of my show she had a huge bouquet of flowers and a large basket of Christmas cookies (she baked me FRESH Christmas cookies because I was dieting during the time) and all sorts of goodies. She is not only my mom, but my best friend. My father didn't understand. He would invite me over for dinner during prep and would always insist on offering me wine and goodies....ha.

Q: Was competing what you expected or any surprises?
A: It was so much fun!! I didn't even imagine all the support you had backstage from other competitors and girls!! It was great!! All the girls were soo nice! Now at the time I should have practiced more in posing. I have such stage fright!!!

Q: You won your NGA Pro card. What did winning that mean to you?
A: OH wow. I was overjoyed. I felt all the hard work I put in really paid off. Honestly, I really wanted to be an inspiration to people. To let them know with hard work that ANYONE can be up here doing the same thing or just to where they want to be. It made me believe that there is no limit.



Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would have to say my back and shoulders. I have broad shoulders and I am glad I can put them to use somewhere!! I remember when I first came to high school, girls were afraid of me because of my broad shoulders! Ha!

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: You know I would have to say shoulders, but after working with Damian Segovia and Felicia Romero I have really come to appreciate training legs. I used to despise training legs!! Urgh! But I have really come to enjoy making my limbs suffer :-)

Q: What is your normal training routine like?
A: Well not to get into huge detail with diet, I am training with Damian Segovia and Felicia Romero... AMAZING AMAZING couple. I won an incredible contest to get free prep-diet and training for my competition. I have learned SO much about myself and realizing how getting full proper nutrition really comes into play with building. I was always afraid to up calories but I have really felt confident and trust working with them.

Q: When someone sees or hears you train and compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: They first think it is such an incredible sport Especially when you start to diet down. Then everyone thinks that you are crazy for not going without "food" for some time. BUT my diet isn't a diet to me.... it's a way of life and I LOVE what I eat.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That the diet and training is punishment. I LOVE the prep part of competing. Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. I wouldn't look at it as things I dislike. Don't get me wrong, I love food. But I love how I eat and train.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing for me is the feeling and confidence you get. I have always loved going to the gym but when you really start to see the cuts and hard work you put in come into play it is it's own drug!!! The worst I would say is not being able to have that glass of wine with your husband when out or even out to dinner with friends. But you learn to work around it. We can still do those things!! That is what is so great about my husband. He competes as well and is so creative when it comes to finding something fun to do during prep that doesn't involve food!!

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Hmmm.. well when I started out weightlifting I remembered seeing a picture of Jelena Abbou. She actually did the first show I did. The Mr and Ms. Buffalo. I have come to appreciate all Figure competitors, their physiques and what they bring to the table.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: OH yes yes. I LOVE donuts and cookies :-) I am a sweets girl. Definitely pizza and pancakes too :-)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell her to stay consistent. Start out with good eating plan and not to get discouraged!! Changes do not happen overnight. I would advise to keep a journal and note your eating and training schedule. Assess and make changes if need e! But it is always wise to keep a journal to log what you are doing.

Q: You are obviously very beautiful. Is fitness modeling something that would interest you?
A: Aw shucks Jason! Thanks! Definitely!! I was just recently asked to do a photo shoot for a local gym to hang photos around his facility. Super excited to be contacted for that and for future photo shoots as well!!!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Horses. I love to train horses. I have been riding since I was 6 years old. Started competing and just love to train horses. Whether it be in English, Western, Equestrian, Jumping, or even barrel racing!!! :-)

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kayte Steenberg.
A: Oh boy it could be boring!!! :-)
I get up at 6am to do my cardio, eat and get ready for work. Take care of my boys...Arnold and Calvin, Boston Terrier and Boxer. I usually get to work anywhere from 8ish to 9 , work work work, then hit the gm anywhere from 5:30 to 6pm. Get in a killer workout and head home to eat, pack my food for the day, the mostly hit up my emails and possibly some TV shows or movies with my hubby!! Then bed by 10pm!! Yeah....sometimes 9pm I hit the sack. LOVE my rest!!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I was queen of my county (Douglas) in Kansas back in the day. Being involved in 4-H and horses I gave it a shot. I had to do presentations and essays. Man I am not good with standing up and speaking but did surprisingly well. At the County Fair my horse and I had to do a very long pattern and knocked it out of the park. We were a terrific duo. I got to ride in the State parade with a sash and crown. Corny I know, but I would do anything with horses!! Love to compete.

Q: Describe Kayte Steenberg in five words.
A: Determined, Dedicated, Outgoing, Honest, and Passionate.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I am currently in prep for a NPC show in Rochester June 12th (Kayte has since done this show) and then off to the USA's in Vegas. Soo stoked and a ball of nerves!!!

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Definitely a big shout out to Damian and Felicia. They are gracious and good people! I can't wait to make them proud with my new package to be revealed on stage this year! I can never thank them enough for giving me this opportunity. They are just starting their training center- Arizona Figure Diva's
Siouxcountry.com is an INCREDIBLE website!! Great wealth of information and power packed with IFBB Pro's and great members who are awesome supporters. I keep a journal there for my prep. I have become truly addicted to that site!!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Kayte Steenberg the athlete and competitor?
A: Most definitely!! :-) I am a dedicated passionate girl with a lot to give to this sport. My whole heart is into training and this lifestyle. My email is the best way kaytebugg00@yahoo.com. Everyday I am excited to hit the gym to bring the best of me and to also inspire those around me as well.

Q: Kayte, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I want to thank again Damian Segovia and Felicia Romero for this opportunity. I really want to break out into the Figure world and become an IFBB Pro. ONE DAY :-) Also my husband. He is so supportive and without him I would not be!! He evens me out and has always been there for me. XOXO
Thank you Jason again for this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment