Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kimberly Coronel Interview



Kimberly Coronel has an obvious love for training and fitness. Starting with her competing in Figure while in high school, then moving on to compete in Powerlifting, now to her newest journey, competing in Bodybuilding. From listening to Kimberly, you have to believe her level of success will be whatever level she wants. You can not question her desire, dedication, and hard work, so how could you question how far she can go? The answer is, you can't question it. Kimberly has helped women be a success with her Strong Girl Fitness, and she will continue to have success with that and her own competitions. Here is my interview with Kimberly Coronel.





Q: Can you start by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm a Washington State native and moved to North Carolina in 2005.

Q: Before the gym, were you an specially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I was always attracted to individual sports like cross country, track, and I tried cheerleading my freshman year of high school.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I watched a Fitness America performance on ESPN at age 17. I wanted to compete, although I had no gymnastics experience. However, there was also a physique round so I thought I could mold my body with weights. I hired my first personal trainer and did an NPC Fitness competition my junior year of high school. I was the youngest one on stage.

Q: Your main sport has been powerlifting. What go you involved in that?
A: I was training for Figure competitions and kept lifting heavier. A friend of mine suggested I try powerlifting so I decided to take the plunge.

Q: Any best lifts or accomplishments you can share?
A: October 2009 I deadlifted 307lbs and benched 180lbs for my personal records.

Q: Powerlifting is not what you would call your typical female sport. Did family and friends support you in the sport at first?
A: Who says its not a woman's sport? After a few laughing bouts they thought it was great. I continue to get teased about my superwoman strength.

Q: You are also planning to compete in bodybuilding soon. What made you decide to do that?
A: It is incredible how much muscle can be attained through this sport. Most people would look at the average powerlifter and think the were just large and bulky, however get them on a 12 week contest diet and they would blow a lot of other bodybuilders out of the water with muscle density. I am very confident in having enough muscle to climb the ranks. The difficult part is getting lean enough.


Q: For people who don't know, what are the differences in training for powerlifting and bodybuilding?
A: Powerlifting includes three lifts: squat, deadlift, and bench press. In a meet you have three attempts at each lift for one rep. You earn a total which equals the total amount of weight lifted. Bodybuilding competitions are judged on body in terms of muscle mass, leanness, symmetry, and presentation. Judges have a structured evaluation system, but, you never quite know what they are looking for to show.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you think is your best one?
A: Forearms.....just kidding! I love my chest and shoulders.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Incline presses and deadlifts with my special hook grip.

Q: Is bodybuilding something you plan to continue competing in or is this a case of just doing it once?
A: I want to earn my Pro card and continue to compete at a high level. I also want to help other competitors choreograph bodybuilding routines and train.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction?
A: "I wouldn't want to mess with you!" I laugh because I am a very gentle person. I only look mean. :-)

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Lifting more than 10lb weights will make you bulky. What makes women bulky is that extra layer of fat on top of the lean muscle.


Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: I love it all! Nothing gives me the satisfaction that this sport does, besides training my phenomenal clients and seeing them transform before my eyes.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I look up to my coach Chris "OX" Mason, a veteran powerlifter, who has been a driving force in my success. I am injury free and continually building strength. I admire the physiques of my friends David and Dawn Trantham who are both Pro's (bodybuilding and figure). They encompass muscularity and leanness as well as balance family and work.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Chicken strips and popcorn.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Don't be afraid to sweat, grunt, eat chicken for breakfast, and scare the boys in the gym!

Q: Can you talk about Strong Girl Fitness? What it is and where people can find out more?
A: Strong Girl Fitness came to me in a vision after a rather intense tire flipping session followed by an outer body experience due to exercise post oxygen consumption AKA EPOC :-). I felt thrashed, empowered and though, why can't all women be Strong Girl's! From that day on my clients although a mix of men and women, have all been trained to push their own personal limits. It is all about using physical power to stimulate emotional and mental strength.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I absolutely love traveling, going on road trips and visiting truck stops, eating exotic cuisine, writing my slow to finish book "Powerlifting Princess", spending quality time with my friends, family, and boyfriend.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Kimberly Coronel.
A: Wake up at 5:30am, coffee, train clients, office work, push the prowler, more clients, email, eat all day long, unwind, prepare food for the next day, sleep by 10pm.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I can make tasty, clean and unusual meals in 10 minutes.

Q: Describe Kimberly Coronel in five words.
A: Fit, Fierce, Feisty, Focused, and Female!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: My new website will be up and running in the next month (www.stronggirlfitness.com). You can find me on Facebook, Twitter (strongGirlFit) and www.femmefatalephysique.com as a Femme Fatale. Follow my blog as I chronicle my journey to compete in my bodybuilding show www.stronggirlfitness.blogspot.com.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, what are they getting in Kimberly Coronel the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes I am looking to represent an innovative sports nutrition company that promotes athletes. I feel that I can represent strength and femininity in a very approachable fashion. I'm not afraid to take risks and I always deliver.

Q: Kimberly, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Strong Girl Fitness, the best is yet to come! :-) Thanks Jason!

No comments:

Post a Comment