Thursday, May 13, 2010

Erika Shingary Column


I'm at the gym this week and notice a young girl working out with her boyfriend. He's been there for a while, but she is just starting. As I'm watching them, I notice her form is terrible and he's not correcting her! So I watch a little longer and see how he does. Not as bad, but not that good either.

I see this all the time and I so badly want to walk over and yell, "You're doing it wrong!!!" Now that could offend or worse, scare someone who is just starting. I won't name my gym, but I think it should be policy for gyms to have trainers walking around to offer advice to people. Too many gyms require that you hire their personal training services to get any help whatsoever.

I understand how it is to be new in the gym. The equipment can be very intimidating. I was lucky that my husband was very experienced and willing to train me. Even with all my complaining in the beginning, he stuck by me! The most important thing he would stress is to have proper form and control the weight.

It isn't always about how much weight you are using, but rather what you are doing with the weight. If you are using it properly, you will see dramatic results in your hard work. There are many things I do where I use little or no weight at all. But no matter what your goal is, it needs to be done correctly.

So if you are just starting out and you don't have a trainer, look around. Watch other people on the equipment and don't be afraid to ask questions! Most people, like myself, will not come to you to tell you you're doing something wrong. But, if you ask, we are always more than happy to help and show you. People in the fitness industry are some of the nicest, most genuine people you will ever meet. And the all truly have a want to help anyone who asks. Its a common interest that we love talking about!

SO do your homework and make sure that the time you are spending at the gym will pay off by doing everything correctly. Not to mention that you don't want to cause any injury to yourself either!!!

Happy workouts!!!!!!!! :-)

E

No comments:

Post a Comment