Sunday, May 2, 2010

Charla Cormier Interview






Since I started this blog and these interviews, I often get asked by women just starting out in training or looking to compete if I can suggest someone for them to study, or learn from, or emulate. One of my first suggestions is always Charla Cormier. Yes, Charla is beautiful, yes, Charla has an amazing physique (the definition of symmetry), and all the obvious things. But Charla, is also a lot more than that. She once weighed 170lbs, she did her first competition, and looked great in it, only 9 months after giving birth. And she has looked better with each new show. Also, she has a wealth of knowledge, and is one of those people who loves to pass it on. I got to meet her at the Arnold's this year, and she was one of those few who I was for some reason really nervous talking to and taking a picture with, that I barely spoke. But she was very nice, and signed a photo for me, and made it one of my best memories from my first Arnold experience. And as amazing as she may look on stage and as beautiful as she looks in photos, she is even more amazing and beautiful looking in person. So here is one of my highlights since starting this blog, my interview with Charla Cormier.




Q: First, Charla, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for asking. It's my pleasure.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I am from a small town called Marble Falls, Texas. I am married to my wonderful husband, Rob, of 10 years. I am a mother of 3 (2 living), athlete for All American EFX supplements since 2006 www.aaefx.com, National Level NPC Figure Competitor, Certified Personal Trainer and one of the creators of The 2hr. Diet By: TheCaveManPlan.com. My passion in life is to inspire, teach and help others achieve their fitness goals! I used to be 170lbs after having my 3rd baby so I know and remember the feeling of being over weight and helpless. I told myself that if I ever achieved and reached my fitness goals after having my babies and being over weight, that I would spend the rest of my life trying to help others reach theirs.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was a competitive gymnast at a young age, a cheerleader and Volleyball player in High School BUT I never had that sleek body of an athlete until I figured out the secret to achieving it, NUTRITION! LOL.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My brother, Bryan. He had just come back from serving in the Marines for 4 years and was very into lifting weights. He is a former NPC competitive bodybuilder. He taught me everything about weight lifting, cardio, nutrition and supplements; he has always been my source I go to for information.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Training for me was very easy, I loved it. I did have trouble with form at first but I have mastered it over the years:). I started seeing results quickly once I got the nutrition under control.

Q: Now your first competition was just nine months after giving birth. How does someone go from giving birth to in nine months getting into that kind of shape?
A: It's all about what you put in your mouth;) I stopped all cheat meals and ate very frequently. This is what really got me ready for the competition. Also, staying consistent with my training schedule and supplements, you've got to have the proper supps to help with recovery.....AND of coarse never allowing excuses into my life! I had to take care of me and make sure that I achieve that goal. I would have never thought it was possible to get into that kind of shape BUT when you really lay down the law for yourself and become a more discipline person, anything is possible:)


Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Everyone was and still is 100% behind me. My whole family is full of amazing people! From the time I was very young to now anything I ever did I always had my families support! One thing my Dad always said to me....YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: It is a harder playing field than I thought! Their are some amazing ladies out there!;) Luckily, I have really held my own in most of my competitions BUT certainly if you don't bring your game and come in, in top shape... the competition will crush you, period!

Q: Can you share your contest history
A: Absolutely!;)
*2004 -NPC EXCALIBUR (FIRST SHOW EVER) PLACED: 6TH OUT OF 12
*2006- NPC PACIFIC NATURALS PLACED 2ND
*2007- NPC CALIFORNIA STATE PLACED 3RD (EARNING NATIONAL QUALIFICATION)
*2007- NPC NATIONALS PLACED 16TH (there were over 200 ladies! What a competition)
*2009- NPC BIKINI PLACED 9TH (Tried Bikini for a different pace but didn't like it much)
*2009- NPC CALIFORNIA STATE PLACE 2ND IN MASTERS AND 3RD IN OPEN FIGURE
*2010- NPC ARNOLD PLACED 8TH

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I feel my upper body is my best, although my legs and bottom have come a long way and my body is well proportioned now.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training legs!;) SQUATS, box jumps and dead-lifts are my favorite!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I am always mixing up my workouts! My training is really never the same.
Plyometrics mixed with weight training along with any other sport or exercise is what I like to do. Muscle confusion is the key. Never allowing your body to get used to what your doing!

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Most of the time I get positive reactions. I really try not to bring it up to much because I hate for the conversation to be all about me.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Do you work out?" lol....sometimes I kid and just say nope!:) BUT I do work my butt off for what I have.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That we are not snobs;) We just like to look good, be healthy,compete and share our knowledge with others.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The hardcore dieting and discipline you must have for 8 weeks.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Monica Brant

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Mexican

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Nutrition is the most important, training is second and supplements are the third most important. Apply and stay consistent with these three things in this order and you will win your class!

Q: You are also a trainer. What got you interested in it and what do you enjoy about training others?
A: I enjoy changing peoples lives for the better and sharing my knowledge with them!

Q: Can you talk about or explain The Caveman Plan.
A: Well, we have a new name for it! We now call it The 2hr. DIET By: TheCaveManPlan.com. Basically, you are just eating very frequently like a caveman would rummage through out their day. It is not about the foods they ate, just the frequency and portions. You can check it out and see our new site at:
www.thecavemanplan.com

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Playing with my children, gymnastics, wake boarding, running

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Charla Cormier.
A:
5:30am Train/Cardio
6:30am wake kids up for school
7:30am take kids to school
8am to 3:30pm work on my website, do errands, training etc...
3:40pm kids come home
4:00pm make kids a snack and do homework
5:00pm start dinner
6:30pm get kids ready for bed
7pm to 8pm- spend time with the hubby then go to bed by 9pm hopefully


Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I used to be 170lbs. Normally when I bring this up to people they are very surprised!

Q: Describe Charla Cormier in five words.
A: Caring, very driven, loves family, spontaneous, always honest and up front

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Since we just moved back to Texas, I am taking the rest of the year off. I will compete again next year but not yet sure which competition I will enter.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Please come check out these sites:
the NEW 2HR DIET BY: TheCaveManPlan.com site: www.thecavemanplan.com
All American EFX: www.aaefx.com
Look my up on FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/askcharla
UCW RADIO: www.ucwradio.com I am a writer for their new magazine!
House of Pain clothing: www.houseofpain.com
SculptMoves Fitness: www.sculptmoves.com
Sport I Play: www.sportsiplay.com
Suits You Swim Wear: www.suitsyouswimwear.com


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Charla Cormier the athlete and competitor?
A: I Would love more sponsors! I work really hard for my sponsors. I am always at the big expos and always try to get the best publicity for them. I am always up for a challenge and am willing to take on any project they may have. send me an email: askcharla@yahoo.com

Q: Charla, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: It is always a pleasure to get to tell my story and share my knowledge with others.
Take Care everyone and remember to:
Make a GOAL, not an EXCUSE...believe in yourself!
Thanks Jason!! Charla

No comments:

Post a Comment