Monday, May 24, 2010

Joy Randolph Clinkscale Interview






Joy Randolph Clinkscale has been competing since 2008. In a short time she has become a very respected competitor and coach. Her beauty, physique, and positive attitude make it no wonder she has become so respected and featured in print and ads, including Oxygen Magazine. She says her goal is to win her Pro card, and it would be crazy to doubt she will get that. Joy is one of those " I want it, so I am going to get it" type women, and she has so much time ahead of her to want and get so many things in this industry. If you are not familiar with Joy, get familiar, because you are going to be hearing a lot about her.



Q: First, Joy, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for having me.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I was born in the country in Brewton, Alabama but moved to Montgomery, Alabama as a child. I grew up an only child but I do have one sister who is 16 years older than I am. I'm 29 years old and work full-time as a graphic designer.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I was chubby growing up and did not get involved in sports until middle school. I actually started working out to the ESPN Fitness Pros at the age of 11 or 12 but did not participate in a team sport until 9th grade.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Cheerleading. I made the high school cheerleading team, which was a very competitive squad. We were preparing for our first national championship and the coach required that we work out with weights 3 days per week minimum. The parents of one of the girls on the squad owned a local gym so membership was free for us.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Actually, my first experience in the gym caused me to be terrified of trainers. One of the trainers took us through a circuit-type workout and I became light-headed and blacked out. Maybe it's was dehydration but it was the scariest thing ever. Once I got over the fear of pushing myself, I would see changes in my body within a few weeks. I could definitely tell my strength and stamina were improving as well.

Q: Your first competition was the 2008 SNBF Georgia State. What made you decide to compete?
A: Well I grew up watching fitness (Fitness America Pageant) and always wanted to compete but didn't know if I had it in me to do. After I finished college, I gained a lot of weight and finally got back in the gym in 2007. I had to start slow. I started walking on the treadmill several days a week. That progressed to a light jog and then I became a regular in the hi-intensity aerobics classes. I lost about 10-15 pounds and people at the gym started noticing. One of the trainers suggested one day that I should consider competing in a division (that I had not heard of until then) called figure. He said competing would give me even more of an incentive to keep pushing myself in the gym and that I had the discipline to do it. Since it was a childhood fantasy of mine and I'd gotten advice from a professional to give it a try, I did.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: I don't know if my parents fully understood and they still quite don't. They are supportive but that doesn't stop them from making certain comments when the weight starts falling off. I would say that they are more accepting of it now because of the positive impact it has had on my life and others. As long as I'm healthy and being smart about what I do, they are on board.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I didn't know what to expect for the first competition, honestly. I was so nervous about being judged since I grew up with issues about my weight. The thing that surprised me was the camaraderie backstage. I've made friends from that first show that I still speak with to this day. I guess I was expecting to be somewhat "alone" but it wasn't that way at all.

Q: What did competing teach you about yourself?
A: Competing has taught me that I can do anything I set my will toward. It's a physical and mainly mental process with a lot of challenges in a lot of cases. While prepping for my second show, my dad went to the hospital and it was a really scary time for me and my family. I thought I was going to lose it with the stress of dieting and training. I stuck it out and ended up placing 2nd in my class. That is a time that I look back on and smile. By no means did I neglect my family during that time, but I also kept going to meet my goals.

Q: Did you know then, that it was something you wanted to continue?
A: Yes! I knew after I went to my first live show (prior to competing myself) that it was something I wanted to do for awhile. The journey is like none other.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Back - even though it needs more depth, it's wide so my V-taper is pretty nice.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love to train legs. I used to HATE leg day but I love it now. Especially lunges and the leg press machine.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Normally, I have low-fat milk with a multi-grain cereal for breakfast, a turkey or chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread, maybe a diet soda and fruit for snacks - things like that. My training is heavier when I'm not dieting because I have the energy and calories to move more weight. When I'm dieting, I don't do bread or dairy for the most part. Fruit gets reduced as well and at some point eliminated completely before I step on stage. When I'm training for a show, I do more cardio and eat a lower amount of calories than normal.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Well, from women, I would say negative because they always think of a bodybuilder. I have respect for female bodybuilders but, at least where I'm from, that doesn't appeal to a lot of women. Once I educate people on the requirements of figure, they are more open and accepting of it.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Comments about not wanting to compete because they don't want to "starve themselves." If they only knew...One of my problems is that I don't eat enough food so that comment is laughable.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women you train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: For women, I wish they understood that resistance training will not make you big, bulky or manly. It will totally reshape your body.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part of competing is competing! I love the final week of the show when I do my Pro Tan run-down, get mani/pedi and get to be glamorous. Seeing the finished package and being on stage is the best part because you know that your sacrifice has not been in vain.The worst part of competing is the fact that you have to be selfish with your time. I don't do anything other than work, gym, home, church and sleep when prepping for a show. I'm not as much of a hermit now but I'm still finding that balance.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: So many but some physiques that I just love are that of Erin Stern, Andrea Watson and Tanji Johnson. And even though she's retired now, I still admire Jenny Lynn.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Of course! I have a sweet tooth so anything chocolate. And pizza.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Start today and write out your goals. When women talk about wanting to change their bodies and say, "I'll start Monday," that's a red flag. That person is not as serious as they sound. When you really desire to make a change, you start immediately. Taking photos prior to training and every couple of weeks is something I also recommend. You will be amazed at the changes when you look back.

Q: Can you talk about Fitfully Made. What it is, where people can learn more about it.\?
A: Fitfully Made is a company I started last year and we offer a variety of online services such as nutritional coaching, online training and competition prep. I correspond with clients via email and phone. Each client takes a "before" photo and emails photos of themselves on a bi-weekly basis so that we can make tweaks to their meal plan/training if necessary. We just hosted our 1st Annual Figure, Fitness & Bikini Workshop recently and had about 20 girls there. I will be doing more hands-on things like that in the future. For more info, visit our website at www.fitfullymade.com or email me at joy@fitfullymade.com.

Q: You have also been featured in several other places. Where else might we have seen you?
A: I've been fortunate in my short, amateur career to have been featured in Oxygen Magazine's April 2009 issue ("Future of Fitness"), bodybuilding.com, figurecoach.com and I also can be seen in print ads for Nutrex Research for their Lipo 6 and Lipo 6 Hers fat burners. Before anyone asks, yes I really use them and they do work! I've been featured in some local publications as well.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I recently got married so I enjoy spending time with my husband Chris. We play board games (Scrabble is our favorite) and enjoy going to the movies. I also like to read and do graphic design.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Joy Randolph Clinkscale.
A: Well, as of 3 days ago, I became a dog owner so my life has consisted of walking the dog first thing in the morning, preparing for work, working, going home and working out with my husband, who is now my trainer. My life is normal and I'm cool with that even though my ultimate goal is to work from home so that I have more freedom with my time.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm outspoken but not in a bad, obnoxious way. If you ask me something expecting me to lie or sugar-coat, it's not going to happen. I like to be treated the same way - well not like to but I respect people who do that.

Q: Describe Joy Randolph Clinkscale in five words.
A: Motivated, Creative, Determined, Work-a-holic, Dreamer.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Well I am planning to compete this fall in October and am considering trying another federation and division. I'm really thinking things through before I make the final decision but I want to expand my horizons. Of course, I have my eye on receiving a pro card.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I just want to encourage women, no matter what age or size, to compete and make a change if you have the desire. I can't tell you how many women have emailed me who are almost ashamed to say they've always wanted to do it, because of their current physique. If you have a dream and a passion, go for it! I am all about helping women get out there and especially love working with first-timers. I love seeing people live their dreams so contact me at joy@fitfullymade.com.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Joy Randolph Clinkscale the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes, as an athlete and representative, I am very committed to what I do. When people ask about Lipo 6, I know exactly what I'm talking about and don't mumble through a lot of meaningless words. As a sponsored athlete, I would make it my duty to be knowledgeable about the products and always be mindful to represent the company in a professional manner. Any potential sponsor can contact me via email at joy@fitfullymade.com.

Q: Joy, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for having me and thanks to everyone reading this. If I can do it, so can you!

1 comment:

  1. oh girl you have an awesome body

    I have been using lipo 6 black ultra concentrate for about two months now, and already to discuss .

    firstly , this was taken without any other thermogenics . I begin by taking 2 per day, and increased up to 4 daily (two 30 mins before morning workout, and two 30 mins before afternoon cardio). unhapply I have to do my working out and then biking later because of my crappy time schedule. Within a few day, I started to noticed the energy rush from lipo 6 her. It's pumping me like crazy. I can bike an extra 20 minutes or more while doing cardio prior to breaking. I didn't have even a little hangover in energy either. moreover, for appetite supression, it has work EXCEPTIONALLY. I comsume about half of of what I used to comsume.
    I'll try more and give another blog when I finished the pill (within three weeks).

    ReplyDelete