Friday, December 11, 2009

Shirley Madera Interview

This is my interview with the beautiful Shirley Madera. Shirley has only been bodybuilding for a few years,after losing a huge amount of weight but is already making a name for herself. What a transformation. She is very knowledgeable and there are few if any who work and train harder than her. Shirley is the kind of woman you want to support and do well in the industry. She is also an excellent personal trainer. So if you are looking for a trainer pay attention to the end of the interview to find out how to contact her.

Q: First, Shirley, I want to thank you for agreeing to do this.
A: Well, thank you Jason for this opportunity

Q: OK, the obvious first question, is why bodybuilding. What got you started, and how long have you been doing it?
A: Jason, I decided to do bodybuilding about 3-4 years ago because I had lost a lot of weight. 128 pounds to be exact, and still carried quite a bit of muscle. I figured it would be cool if a once obese woman competed. If I was able to do, it than anyone could

Q: Did you find that your friends and family were supportive of it, and has that changed now?
A: Yes and no. It was really interesting to see the reactions that I received as my body started to change. I did lose some friends because they said I was no fun because I couldn't east with them, but I gained the respect of others. I also gained new friends that have become like family.

Q: Care to share any contest history and places.
A: *1st show--- Gainsville Classic 10-21-08 Women's open lightweight 1st place and Masters over 30 1st place
*2nd show--- Battle Of The Coast 11-1-08 Women's open lightweight 1st place
*3rd show--- Battle Of The Coast June 2009 Masters over 30 1st place
*4th show--- Central Florida June 2009 Masters over 30 1st place and Masters Overall winner
*5th show--- Mid Florida Classic June 2009 Women's Open Heavyweight 3rd place

Q: Do you keep track of your measurements, and if show care to share them
A: Well right now I am in my off season. For the first time in my life I can honestly say that I am trying to put on weight. You know, more muscle, no extra fat. I am working towards really competing in the mid/heavyweight class. So my measurements as of 12/1/2009 are as follows
Chest- 36"
Bicep- 13"
Bicep flexed- 14.5"
Waist- 34"
Hips- 43"
Thigh- 22"

Q: Were there any people you looked up to when you started. People you tried to emulate and admired. Also is there anyone now
A: Bev Francis, Cory Everson, and Lenda Murray have always been my favorites. Iris Kyle, Debi Laszewski, and Yaxeni Oriquen, to name a few of my new favorites

Q: What would you consider your best body part?
A: I always thought it was my legs, but apparently my back is very impressive

Q: Do you have a favorite body part to train?
A: Well, initially I loved to train legs because they are my strongest body part. But now I absolutely love to train every part best on it's given day.

Q: Are you strict with your splits. Staying on the same schedule or do you try and switch it up?
A: My coach/trainer makes those decisions depending on how everything is coming together. I leave that in his hands. I totally trust him

Q: Outside of training, do you have any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love spending time with my 17 year old daughter and my chosen friends. I love to go shopping or even just try on pretty dresses and shoes. We take pictures in the dressing rooms in the outfits.

Q: Maybe you could describe a typical day in the life of Shirley Madera.
A: A day in my life is very crazy. Off season is a little bit different than competition time. Right now I get up at 4:30AM, get ready, pack my food, have a protein drink and any supplements that need to be taken. Head out to the gym. Warm up for 5 minutes and at 6AM start my training, done at 7AM and do 1/2 hour on the stepper or starting my first client, depending on the day of the week. I train clients, sometimes until about 11AM. Then I get a break until 2PM. I will either head out to Planed Beach to relax and tan or I go home to cut and color hair. I am also a cosmetologist. O to cook and straighten up. I go back to the gym, train a client, then prepare to run my boot camp at 4:30PM. At 5:30PM, usually I train another client. lst on my list is teaching Zumba two nights a week at an MMA training facility. Not to mention all of the usual family duties. That's a day in my life, are you tired yet.....LOL

Q: Are you more of a train alone or train with a partner type person. Why?
A: I actually have had the pleasure of both experiences, and I prefer training alone because I can concentrate better, less distractions. Also I get my trainers undivided attention.

Q: One thing I always hate at the gym is people talking to me while I am lifting. Do you have any pet peeves or things like that, that bother you?
A: Of course I do, doesn't everyone? I hate when people interrupt my workout to ask questions about their workouts or diets, and when the guys leave their weights all over the place as if their mothers lived in the gym to clean up after them.

Q: When people see your physique, what is the general reaction. Do you find most people are positive.
A: WOW, you are so buff!!! Some are positive but most find it weird that a girl/woman would want so much muscle.

Q: When people do see it, what is the one question that you are sick of them asking?
A: You must workout!!!, or how can I get my arms like that?

Q: Any misconceptions about female bodybuilders that bother you, or you wish people would understand?
A: That not every female bodybuilder is on steroids. That it is a lot of work, sweat, and sometimes tears to get the results that we have gotten.

Q: I have said a million times, one of my problems is judging, especially in female bodybuilding. If you were in charge, what would you change, or do you think it is fine the way it is.?
A: I have only done five shows so far and my biggest issue is that at times it doesn't matter the conditioning of the athletes or even their symmetry, but their size that wins the show.

Q: What is one thing about you that people would be surprised to know?
A: That I once weighed 256lbs

Q: Is there any advice you would give if someone new to bodybuilding or weight training asked you?
A: Do it because you love it, you want it. Results don't come overnight, don't become discouraged. It's hard work but so worth it in the end.

Q: In five words describe Shirley Madera
A: Strong, dedicated, empowered, enthusiastic, and loved

Q: So, any plans for 2010 as far as competing or any other projects?
A: Of course. I plan on only competing in level 4 or higher, and am going to qualify for the Masters National. My first show of the year will be the Europa in Orlando Florida on April 16,2010.

Q:Do you have any website or any training service, or anything you care to share. Perhaps looking for sponsors.
A: I work for Progress Personal Training and am a part of Team Asylum, both of which have websites. I would love to have a website, but not sure how to go about starting one, and money is an issue, but I do have a Facebook page and a Myspace. I would love to receive some form of sponsorship.

Q: Let's say I am looking to sponsor someone. I ask you "what am I getting as far as an athlete in Shirley madera". What is your answer?
A: You are getting someone who is truly dedicated to the sport of fitness. You are getting someone who can truly relate with people/women of different shapes, sizes, ethnicity, because not all are created equal. When I believe in a product it shows in every part of me.

Q: I want to thank you again for agreeing to do this. I believe women like you are deserving of support and respect, and hopefully by doing this, I can help you achieve that respect. Any last words you care to share or how people can get ahold of you.
A: I can be reached through my email at zumbalicious@yahoo.com or on my cell at (352) 848-5027.

No comments:

Post a Comment