Thursday, December 17, 2009

Allison Moyer Interview

Class, Sass, Muscle/ Her own saying totally describes Allison Moyer. If you follow the fitness industry at all, then you surely know Allison. She is quickly becoming one of the most popular competitors and fitness models in the industry. It could be because she is among the most beautiful woman in the industry and the world, it could be for her "'speak her mind' attitude, it could be for her amazing physique, or it could be because she is very outgoing and kind. Most likely it is because of a combination of all the above. She has worked hard to look like she does, and is proud of it, and doesn't care if people have a problem with it. The world could use more Allison Moyer's in it. Don't forget to visit her at www.allifit.com.


Q: First, Allison, thank you for taking the time to do this. I have such great respect for you, so I was very happy you wanted to do this.
A: Thank you for the opportunity.

Q: Can you start out by just telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I'm originally from a rural town in Berk's County Pennsylvania called Lenhartsville. I grew up on a small farm with my parents and my younger brother.

Q: I know you were very athletic as you were growing up. Whats sports did you play or enjoy?
A: Growing up I tried just about everything in the way of sports. My parents recognized my athletic talent at a very young age, and my father, especially, encouraged me. I began playing tea ball when I was very young as well as participated in swimming. I also dabbled in softball, field hockey, and soccer before I began running tack and field and cross country. I became an avid runner and continued my running career into college.

Q: What is it that initially led you into the gym?
A: Initially, I stepped into the gym after I decided to not continue competing in college cross country. At first I was just using the cardio equipment, mostly the treadmill. Eventually I began to have an interest in weight training. I had always liked a muscular look on a woman and I wanted to add some muscle to my own thin frame

Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly quickly, how long before you saw serious results?
A: I did pick up on weight training very quickly. I think even I was surprised at just how strong I was in the gym. I'd say it took a solid 23 years of training consistently before I began to see serious results. I've now been training for about 8 years and I'm just beginning to see my physique take the shape I'd always imagined.

Q: You are without a doubt one of the most beautiful women in the industry. Does that ever make training hard. Guys hitting on you or trying to talk while you are training?
A: No, not at all. I am very focused when I train. I train solo, and prefer it that way, so I plug into my IPod and really buckle down and focus when I train. I don't pay much attention to others when I lift.

Q: You did your first show for the NABBA in 2004. What amde you decide to go ahead and compete?
A: At about the age of 19 I joined the local L>A> Fitness and left my college gym. There I met a National level bodybuilder and his trainer. They both encouraged me to compete, and recommended I try Figure. I had no idea about contest prep or what it took to diet for the stage. They helped put me through my first diet and helped me enter that first show.

Q: Was that first show what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A:It was better than I imagined. I felt at home on stage. I fell in love.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My parents are wonderful people and have been supportive of me my entire life. No matter what I do, whether they understand, or not, they are supportive. I think in general, it's hard for non competitor's to understand the mindset of an athlete like myself. The diet, the prep, and the drastic changes I put my body through are confusing to most. I don't expect the general public, or my family to necessarily be able to comprehend what I'm doing. They're as supportive as they can be, and that's all I can ask for.

Q: Can you share your contest history up to this point?
A: *2004 NABBA-- Middletown, Pennsylvania-- Figure Overall Winner
*2007 NPC-- Mountain Valley--Reading, Pennsylvania--Figure C Winner, Figure Overall Winner
*2008 IFBB North Americans-- Cleveland Ohio-- Figure E, 13th
*2009 Arnold Amateur-- Columbus, Ohio-- Figure E, 6th
*2009 IFBB North Americans-- Cleveland Ohio- Figure E, 6th
*2009 Team Universe-- New York, New York-- Figure E, 15th

Q: Do you have a personal favorite body part on yourself, or one that gets the most compliments?
A: I'd say I love my arms and my shoulders the best. I frequently get complimented on my upper body as a whole

Q: DO you have a favorite part to train?
A: I sued to- now I feel there are aspects about each and every body par I enjoy training.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: My training doesn't change much pre contest. My diet changes drastically. I diet hard, I don't have a cheat day when I diet. My contest prep usually lasts 8 weeks, which is a lot less than most girls. I typically do about an hour of cardio a day pre contest, I don't do much more than that. I rely mostly on strict dieting to dial my physique in.

Q: When people see your physique for the first time, what is the most common response? More negative or positive.
A: I very rarely get any negative feedback. Whether on season or off, I generate a lot of positive response about my appearance.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: "Wow- do you work out?"

Q: Are there any major misconceptions about women who train or muscular women?
A: Of course. It's something different, something unique. The look of a male bodybuilder is unique in and of itself, so it's even more unique and more intriguing when you see a well muscled woman. Whether you enjoy the look or not, I guarantee it's something that's making you stare, making you think, and raising questions in your mind. So Obviously with any measure of attention, come misconceptions or pre conceived ideas about muscular women- far more than I care to list. I think it's important to remember that women with muscles are still women- we are married, single, have children, lives, jobs, we want and need the same things as other women do. I think more often then not, fans of female muscle dream up these real life dominant muscle women who want nothing more than to be strong and dominant, when i reality, we are anything but. Women in general are multi faceted and have many different sides. Women with muscle are no different, we are just buffer!LOL

Q: You are obviously able to add muscle. Why figure over, say, bodybuilding?
A: I began my journey in figure years ago, at a time when well muscled, lean, and hard physiques were being rewarded. The more recent turn to softer physiques in figure wasn't being rewarded competitively when I began following the sport in 2004. I love the harder look- the feminine curve, the hard full muscle bellies, and extremely lean conditioning. Davana Medina and Monica Brant were physique favorites of mine. I am hoping, with the creation of IFBB Bikini, the judges will allow figure girls to be a bit harder and more muscular as in earlier years. I am still competing in figure because I don't yet feel I've given my body enough of a chance at the national stage to see what I can achieve.
I never rule out women's bodybuilding. With every passing day I admire female bodybuilders more and more and I really love the look of some women gracing the National bodybuilding stage currently. Many figure girls have made very successful switches to bodybuilding and I;m sure if I ever made the switch, I'd do well. I;m open to this industry and I;m open to opportunity. I am blessed with a body that carries muscle well, and who knows- maybe one day bodybuilding-but for now, I;m focused on competing successfully in figure.

Q: Does it bother you when people say "women in figure don't lift"?
A: It really bothers me, because it blankets all women in figure as being the same. I know many figure girls (softer girls) who don't hit the weights hard, so to say "SOME" figure girls don't lift much, is a correct statement, but that's not all figure girls. I curl 45lb dumbbells, I have a max bench of 225lbs, I can leg press 780lbs, and I have a stronger back then I know what to do with. I train with a weight belt every time I lift so I can pull heavy weight. I LOVE to lift, and I'm strong as hell. So to anyone who says figure girls don't lift- I challenge them to come train with me. I'll show you that this is one figure girl who knows how to pull some weight.

Q: Someone says to you "Women shouldn't be that muscular". What is your response to them?
A: Muscle is sexy, period, on men or women. I am confident, sexy, and incredibly comfortable with my appearance. If someone doesn't like the way I look, they're entitled to that opinion. But I don't lift for anyone but myself, and I love my physique.

Q: You are known for saying what's on your mind. Is that something you have always done, or did that build up after dealing with naive people who do not understand women like you?
A: I've been that way since I was young. I have two outspoken, opinionated parents who raised me to think for myself and to be confident enough in my own opinions to say what's on my mind. I respect other's opinions as well, but I will never shy away from vocalizing my own.

Q: You are quickly becoming one of the more popular women in the industry. Is there one thing you attribute that to, or is it a collection of things?
A: I have NO idea why-honestly. I feel it's a combination of factors more than anything else.

Q: What are your future big goals for your career?
A: I want to become an IFBB Pro of course, and continue to have a successful Pro career. I also want to continue my modeling- it's a huge goal of mine to show that women with muscle can be sexy, sultry, and incredibly beautiful to the mainstream as well.

Q: Do you have any favorite's in the industry or people you most admire?
A: I'm a fan of many competitors. Jenny Lynn has always been a figure favorite of mine as well as Gina Aliotti.

Q: If someone came up to you and said they wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: Work Hard- don't ever stop.

Q: Moving from competing, you are also a well established fitness model. What do you enjoy about doing that?
A: It's so much fun- I never thought I;d be as successful at modeling, but I really enjoy it. It's definitely something I want to do more of.

Q: If a photographer wanted to contact you, what is the best way to do that?
A: My online portfolio can be found on Model Mayhem. They can also contact me via email at allifit@hotmail.com

Q: Can you talk about the After Dark Radio Show. Where they can find it, what it is, things like that.
Q: Sports After Dark is a division of Siouxcountry Radio, affiliated with siouxcountry.com, the premier forum board for everything women's bodybuilding, figure, fitness, and bikini. Sports After Dark is the late night guilty pleasure as we like to call it, hosted by myself and National NPC figure athlete Eryn Strickland. Past interviews have included Lauren Powers, Brian Moss, Ginger Hutchinson, Andrea Giacomi, Steven Schibelli, Dan Ray, and Nicole Ball.

Q: You have a website. Can you give that out and what they can find there, as well as where else people can find you.
A: My website is www.allifit.com, and has been up since 2005. I dismantled it a year ago and hired a new web designer to relaunch the site with me. We're hoping to have the site fully operational complete with an amazing members only section by January 1st 2010.

Q: One of your goals is to prove that muscular women can be, and in fact are sexy. Do you think that is happening, that muscular women are more accepted, than say, five years ago?
A: Oh yes. Very much so.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza, thin crust, with pepperoni, onion, and hot sauce

Q: Favorite actor, movie, singer, and TV show.
A: My favorite movie is Braveheart. My favorite singer is Ani Difranco, and my favorite TV shows are Law and Order SVU and Sex and the City.

Q: Describe Allison Moyer in five words.
A: Complex, Sassy, Stubborn, Independent, and Sweet.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I really love cooking, travelling, spending time with Randy, my friends, and my family, shopping, writing, and reading.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Allison Moyer.
A: I work full time as the Training Director at Gold's Gym in Carlisle Pennsylvania. Basically I manage the Personal Tanning Department there. I get up in the morning and do cardio, head to work at about 9:00AM. During my break in the middle of the day I tan and lift, then I work again until about 7:00PM. I come home, prep my meals for the next day, spend some time with my dog, and either watch TV or webcam for www.herbiceps.com.

Q: Name one thing about you that would surprise people.
A: I'm a hermit. I very rarely go out and part, etc. I'm very much a homebody and I enjoy quiet nights at home more than anything.

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or any other projects?
A: 2010 will be big. I have a new trainer and I;m stoked about my upcoming season. The Arnold will be my first show of 2010. I;m excited about my site to launch as well.

Q: Anything else you have going on that I may have missed, that you want to plug?
A: I think you hit it all!!!

Q: We know that sponsorship is important in this sport. Are you looking for sponsors. If so, how can they contact you, and what are they getting in an athlete and competitor in Allison Moyer?
A: I think sponsorship is important and crucial in the journey of any athlete, but I;m looking for the right sponsorship, a solid one. Ideally I'd like the company to be one I;m excited about, or one I feel fits with my personality. I think too often companies focus on the status of an athlete (pro or not) rather then the popularity of an athlete with fans.

Q: Allison, I can't thank you enough for doing this. I think the world of you and you are well on your way to becoming one of the top names in the industry, if you aren't already. Anything you want to add before you go?
A: I appreciate the opportunity Jason. THANK YOU

No comments:

Post a Comment