Sunday, December 13, 2009

IFBB Pro Victoria Larvie Interview

Anyone who follows the fitness industry knows Victoria Larvie. She was the first 17 year old to ever turn pro. I also do not mind saying that while I am 15 years older and a male, Victoria is one of my role models. She is also one of the nicest and sweetest people you will ever talk to. When I started bodybuilding, she was one of the people who was willing to help me with advice, and for that I will forever be gratefull. She is already a fitness star, and is on her way to becoming a fitness superstar. Also I reccomend you go to www.victorialarvie.freewebspace.com. You can purcahse signed photos and posters, and all the profits go to helping her with her travelling and things.

Q: First Victoria, thank you for doing this. It is an honor. I have told you many times how big a fan I am and how much of an inspiration you are to me.

Q: Can you start out just giving a little information about yourself. Family, where you are from.
A: Born in Atlanta Georgia and still live in the Metro Atlanta area with my parents and sister.

Q: Now, you got started in gymnastics at age 3. What led to you starting that and what did you most enjoy about it?
A: I was walking on the back of the couch at age 3 and my dad suggested that my mom put me in classes so I could learn the correct way to do that. I enjoyed gymnastics because it came naturally. It has been a part of my entire life, at least all of the part I can remember.

Q: You actually are an amazing gymnast and the Olympics was a goal for you. What happened that you had to give up on that?
A: It was January of 2005. I ahd already been to the Elite Camp. The coach ahd been given the workout schedule, I had been pulled out of school and put in home school, and I had decided to quit fitness competitions in the summer/fall and totally focused. We had decided I would finish my Level 10 year, go to the State in March and Regionals in April, and then convert after that. I developed Mono right before Regionals, but I still competed, then took a week off. When I returned, my coach was acting different, so we set up a meeting for the next week. In that meeting he announced to us, as well as the gym owners he no longer wanted to coach the higher levels and then one month later he left the gym all together. I was devastated at first, and then I remembered God never closes a door that he doesn't open a window. Fitness was that window. So I started gearing back up for Teen nationals and threw myself into fitness full-time.

Q: I udnerstand Lee Haney, who is in my opinion the best male bodybuilder ever, suggested you do fitness and had you come to his Ultimate Teen Challenge. How did it come about that he suggested it, and what was the Challenge like?
A: I did not compete in the Ultimate Teen Challenge, that was a High Scool Team event. My parents and I helped work the event. Lee and his family are friends of ours and we attend church together. It was one day at church that Lee noticed how well developed my arms were at 11 years old, and mentioned to my parents about the fitness side of the bodybuilding world.

Q: You also met the great Debbie Kruck, who invited you to compete in teh Debbie Kruck Classic. What was meeting her like and what was it like to compete at that show?
A: Debbie is awesome and we still stay in touch. I am grateful every day that she asked me to be in her show. If she had not, I may not have pushed so ahrd to compete at age 12. SHe sent out helpful hints on suits, shoes, makeup etc, ahead of the contest as well as making you feel welcome when you arrived, and the show was great. Everyone should have a first competition experience like that.

Q: Was competing something your family was behind from the beggining?
A: My parents support my sister and I in whatever adventure we decide on. They have only one rule, you must cmplete what you start. If you give it your all for the season you commited to and then want t quit after your commitment is complete, then you can, but no quitting untill you ahve fulfilled your commitment.

Q: From there, you became the youngest to ever compete at the NPC Fitness Nationals. What was the experience like?
A: It never occured to me that my age would be that big of a deal. I remember check-in as if it were yesterday. Everyone lloking at us, as clearly I was the one tanned for competition. Then we get up to the door, and Steve Stone (expeditor at the time, he passed away in 2008 at the Olympia) loked at my parents and said, "she is 13, REALLY? Then mom will ahve to go backstage with you". I thought I would die. She had not been backstage when I qualified. But there was no getting around it, and it turned out to be the biggest blessing ever. There was so much activity backstage that it was comforting just to have her there and making sure I was on time, etc.

Q: Did you find that the ohterwomen were mostly supportive of someone so young. Did you feel like you belonged?
A: The first year was the inquisitive year. THey all knew I looked young, and that my mom was with me, but they were not real sure what the deal was, but they were very encouraging.
I am still friends with a couple of the ladies from that show (Kendra Elias, Heidi Fletcher, and Julie Lohre). The next years that followed, my mom became mom to all the girls that knew her from the previous years, and I was just one of them, even though I was only 14.

Q: Can you share your contest history?
A: Are you sure you want this whole thing? Here goes:
*July 24 2004- Debbie Kruck Classic, Daytona Beach, Florida
NPC Fitness History
1st everPree-Tenn Fitness winner- 12 years old
2nd palce Teen Figure
* November 13, 2004- St. Augustine, Florida
2nd place Open National Qualifier
*November 19-20- Dallas, Texas- NPC Fitness Nationals
12th place out of 14-SHort Class (youngest-13 years old- to ever compete on the NPC National stage)
* June 4 2005- Southern Classic Vicksburgh, Mississippi
2nd place Open National Qualifier
*July 23 2005- NPC Teen Nationals, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvanis
WINNER age 13-16
*November 18-19 2005- NPC Fitness National, Atlanta, Georgia
13th place out of 18- Short CLass (14 years old)
*July 22 2006- NPC Teen National Fitness CHampionships, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
WINNER age 13-14, (2nd year in a row)
* November 10-11 2006- NPC Fitness Nationals, Miami, Florida
6th place- SHort Class (15 years old)
*June 2 2007 Southern Classic National QUalifier
Open Class WINNER (15 years old)
*July 14 20070 Georgia Bodybuilding
Fitness Class A WINNER and Over-All WINNER (15 years old)
*November 16-17 2007- NPC Fitness Nationals, Dallas, Texas
5th place Class A (16years old)
*Auguest 2 2008- Dexter Jackson Classic
Fitness WINNER (16 years old)
Teen Figure WINNER
*September 5-6 2008- Team USA Fitness Nationals, New York, New York
Class A- 4th place (17 years old)
*May 23 2009- Jr. USA's, Charleston, South Carolina
CLass A- WINNER (17 years old)
* June 19-20 2009- Jr Nationals, Chicago Illinois
Class A0 WINNER and NEW IFBB PRO (youngest-17 years old- in the history of the sport)
*IFBB Pro debut- October 10 2009, Fort Lauaderdale Cup
10th place (18 years old)

Q: What did it mean to you to become the younges Pro ever?
A: It was my dream since I was 14, when my coach quit on me, and I turned my focues to fitness, so it really means a lot. A dream came true and not many people can say that.

Q: You recently made your Pro debut. Can you describe that experience?
A: It was like a reunion. There were many competing that I had competed with in the past on their way to the Pro's, as well as new friends I ahd met via Sioux Count and Facebook. The competition itself was first class. Shannon Dey made us feel like celebrities. A very well ran show, so again my first competition experience is one every competitor should ahve. I guess, both of my first competitions were ran by BLONDE fitness ladies in Florida, maybe that is the key.

Q: Do you ahve a leas favorite part ot competing?
A: Dieting and getting the tanning product off after competitions. You look like a leper for a week.

Q: Any favorite bodypart to train?
A: Abs

Q: What is your normal training and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I stay within 5 pounds of my competition weight year round. I take out bread, starches, and CHOCOLATE, and add more fish and vegetables, load up on water, 12 weeks out. I do a lot of cardio, and contnue to practice my tumbling 2-3 times a week.

Q: I already am pretty sure I know the answer to this, but is there one question you are sick of hearing when peope see your figure or find out you compete in fitness?
A: Will You flex? I am not a bodybuilder, I don't flex, I am flexible

Q: What does it mean to you when someone says you are a role modle, or that you inspire them?
A: I am humbled and honored. My main goal is to inspire other teens to stay active and be healthy. If I can inspire others to meet their goals, all the better.

Q: You are also a personal trainer. What are the benefits of being trained by Victoria Larvie, and how can someone get ahold of you if they want to become a client?
A: I am a tough trainer. I believe in getting in there and getting it done, then get out. I am not in the gym to socialize, so if you are not serious, then I am not the one for you. I do believe you can enjoy what you do, while doing it, but you must work and talk at the same time. I can be contacted at victoria@victorialarvie.net. If you are going to compete, I feel that my 5 years of competing I ahve done as an amateur has taught me many ticks of the trade, that I can help you with.

Q: You ahve a fitness team or something to that effect right?
A: I don't ahve a fitness team, just clients that I train at the gym. I wanted to give them shirts, etc, to make them feel more a part of the group, so that is why I had a contest to name them.

Q: Are there any misconceptions about women who train and compete in fitness?
A: The masses don't understand the difference between bodybuilding, fitness, figure, and bikini. We are all different. The closest diet wise would be figure and fitness, however fitness has to monitor more closely during competition due to the need to increase carbs before the routine, but not too many to go falt for the swimsuit portion. A one day show is a killer due to this.

Q: Do you ahve any people in fitness you admire or are a fan of?
A: Carol Semple-Ms. Fitness O from the 1990's and Adela Garcia- Ms Fitness O 4 times. Both are awesome friends as well. They are my fitness mom's, just like your mom gives you advice on life, these two ladies ive me advice and encouragement on fitness life.

Q: If someone came up to you and said they wanted to start training for fitness, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: First, you must be commited and prepared to spend some money if youa re going to compete. Out of all the sports in the IFBB, a fitness competitor spends more to compete, maybe not on diet, as bodybuilding has us there, but actual competition. In addition to the swimsuit and heels that figure has, add, music, choreography, costume and jazz shoes, and this needs to be cahnged yearly to keep it fresh to you as well as to the judges if you compete a lot. Secon, you can't be shy, a major part of your score is stage presentation and how you come across, both in the routines and the swimsuit portion. But most importantly , have fun. My fitness has been one of the most rewarding times in my life.

Q: One thing I notice is that to me, the actual routine should count for more of the score in fitness, since your routine is what sets it apart from figure. Is there anything you would like to see changed?
A: I agree our routines should count more, but with only two areas judged, that is hard. As for the pro's, effective in the 2010 seson, the 45 second compulsory routine has been deleted, but they did not add those required moves back into the requirement for the two minute routine, as they are for amateurs. I would like to see the required moves be added back to the Pro routines, so there is some kind of standard for judging. Otherwise it is just a matter of opinion, with no standards, and no ways to know where to imporve your routine. As a competitor, you don't know where you lost points. I am a gymnast by nature and every element has a point value, you know why someone beats you in a routine by the point value and execution of that skill. Now in Pro fitness there is not a standard to know what you are being judged on, so improving is difficult, as the next competition could have different judges with different opinions.

Q: With all you ahve going on, woring, training clients. How do you find time for your own workout?
A: Most clients want early morning or after work training, so the middle of the day is my time for me.

Q: Favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza, sushi, and Chocolate. Not together necessarily

Q: Sponsors are so important in this sport. Want to plug any that you ahve, and are you looking for any. Why sponsor Victoria Larvie?
A: I ams till looking for sponsors for 2010. I had a very good friend of my grandmother that paid for my hotels this past year, so that was very helpful. Competing is not cheap, but I lvoe competing and didn't just want to turn Pro and then quit, so I am still looking and sending out letters in hopes of being a sponsored athlete. Fans can help also bu purchasing pictures/posters. All profits go in my travel account. All information is on my info pages on Facebook and Myspace, and my web site on how to order pictures and contact me.
www.facebook.com/victorialarvieprofitnesscompetitor
www.myspace.com/victorialarvie
www.victorialarvie.freewebspace.com

Q; Favorite actor, tv show, and musician
A: Actor is Jude Law. Tv show, NCIS and Dancing With The Stars- I want to be the Star on there, and musician, I don't have a favorite, but like rap and country.

Q: Describe Victoria larvie in five words
A: Outgoing, flirt, competitive, compassionate, and enthusiastic.

Q: Anything set in stone for 2010 as far as competing or anything?
A: Nothing set in stone yet. Still trying to figure out travel cost, etc.

Q: Victoria, thank you so much for doing this. You are thes best, and I can't wait to watch you continue your career and become one of the top athletes in the sport. Any last words before you go?
A: I give all glory for my success to Jesus Christ. He has blessed me with both talent and great genetics in order to be able to do this sport

No comments:

Post a Comment