Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Janet Kaufman Masters Nationals Interview






To me a sure sign of respect and how good a competitor is or looked is when I ask other competitors who impressed them and most say the same name. Being at Masters I saw Janet and she really looked amazing. But afterwards, Janet's name came up more than anyone when I asked people their opinions. Janet brought an incredible package to the stage, and I was truly impressed with her back (as I always am), and the real noticeable shoulder improvements. She may not have gotten it this time, but soon enough that Pro card will be hers.




Q: Janet, thanks for taking the time out to do this.
A: My pleasure.

Q: For those who may may not be familiar, can you tell a little about yourself.
A: I live in Lewiston Idaho where I work as the purchasing clerk at the school district. I have been bodybuilding for about 23 years, my first
show was in 1987. My brother got me into the sport. When I am not training
I like to go hunting fishing and my husband and I ride our Harleys. No
kids two dogs Sarge and Dale (But we treat them like our kids)

Q: I must say congrats on Masters Nationals. I thought you looked incredible.
A: Thank you. I felt pretty good with what I brought to the stage.

Q: As a show itself what did you think of it?
A: This was the fourth time for me at Masters. I always enjoy myself there.

Q: How confident were you going in?
A: I felt good going in but there is always that part of me that doesn't get too confident because it is up to the judges and one never knows what will happen.

Q: After pre-judging how were you feeling about your chances?
A: Part of me felt like I had the class but I have been in this situation before and ended up disappointed so didn't want to assume anything.


Q: How did you feel about the overall package your brought to the stage?
A: I felt pretty good with what I brought. I actually think I looked better than I did at Nationals

Q: What part of your physique would you say was the one you have improved the most the last year?
A: I think I brought my shoulders up a bit and my abs I feel are better.

Q: Was there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or you want to improve on?
A: I always want to improve on my legs. I would love to have them bigger but It is tough because I want to stay in the middleweight. It is a fine line. Put size on and struggle to make weight

Q: Did your prep go as smoothly as hoped for?
A: Masters prep is a lot easier for me than Nationals prep. The weight comes off easier for Masters. Don't have to do near the cardio.

Q: Is there a point in the prep process where you say "O.K. I am ready"?
A: Yes. When I start seeing the striation in my glutes I know I am right where I need to be.

Q: Anything about the prep process that you can say you want to do different next time?
A: I will need to talk to Dave to see what the game plan is for Nationals.

Q: After a show like that, are you mentally drained at all?
A: No just hungry for junk food. LOL I do mentally torture myself by trying to figure what I need to change to my physique more pleasing to the judges eye.

Q: The week before a show like that, what were you thinking about? Nervous or excited, or what?
A: I am excited and nervous. I always like doing my routine. But one never knows who is going to show up and what the judges will like on the day of the show. So I do a lot of thinking of whether this is the package the judges are looking for. This is why bodybuilding, in my opinion is one of the toughest sports. Not only is it a physical challenge but a mental one as well.

Q: How about those last 5 minutes before you hit the stage, what were you thinking about?
A: Smile and stay tight

Q: When you are on stage did you try and read the judges reactions at all or just focus on what you are doing?
A: I do try to see the reactions of the judges. My eyesight isn't the greatest so that is not always an easy task. I always try to make eye contact. But I do focus on what I am doing as well. Keeping everything tight, smiling, abs in. It is like rubbing your stomach and patting your head. LOL

Q: Whats the first thing you ate once it was over?
A: I made some home made fudge, so I had some of that then we hit the Italian restaurant for a nine layer lasagna and diet coke

Q: Was there any other competitors you noticed who really impressed you?
A: At this level they all impress me.

Q: What will be your biggest memory from the entire weekend?
A: How supportive everyone was. My trainer and fellow competitors.

Q: How important is support from family and friends at a show like this?
A: It is always important to have the support of family and friends. I have one girlfriend that comes with me to the shows that I don't know what I would do without her. She keeps me focused. I have a lot friends here that are supportive but since I live here in Idaho it is hard for them to come see the shows. My husband chooses to stay home because it is cheaper for us if he does and he gets frustrated with how things go for me sometimes. He is supportive but closer the show gets he has to do a lot of things alone ie. camping, hunting because I have too many show things going on. So I know he gets frustrated with that. This could be a whole other interview. Living with a spouse that doesn't compete and what they sacrifice.

Q: Have you decided when you will be on stage next?
A: Nationals in October

Q: Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process?
A: I want to thank Dave Palumbo since working with him I feel I have brought a much better physique to the stage, My friend Amy Barley for doing my hair and makeup and Liquid Sunrays for my tan.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Species products. I used the Carbolyze in my offseason and I think it really helped put a little extra size on me.

Q: Janet, again congrats, you really did look incredible. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you. I will see everyone at Nationals. I hope to have the same package that I did at Masters if not better. Always a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment