Saturday, September 11, 2010

Christine Anderson USA's Interview






If you want to look for one of the real good, kind, and support worthy people in the Fitness industry, look no further than Christine Anderson. Christine fits that bill and then some. She is truly one of the people I most respect in this industry. Never a negative thing to say about anyone, and a big example of hard work and dedication. This interview covers the USA's where Christine looked incredible in taking 6th place, but then she went on to take 5th place at Jr. USA's. So Christine really represented herself well at both shows, and looking at photos you can see why she placed so well.






Q: Christine, thanks for taking the time out to do a second interview.
A: Sure! I like being able to share a part of what I do with others.

Q: For those who may may not be familiar, can you tell a little about yourself.
A: I'm a National Figure competitor and have been competing for awhile now. I decided to start a family right after my last national competition at this very show, USA's, took a break and set out to compete again at the USA's where I placed 6th out 35 ladies.

Q: I must say congrats on USA's. I thought you looked incredible/
A: Thanks Jason! You know, I felt incredible - mentally and physically. Everything just came together on that day. I was so excited to hear there was 35 ladies in my height class (A). Then I was so nervous when I found out I would be the FIRST to step on stage. A similar thing happened the last time I competed there and at the last moment the expeditor told me what poses to do. I was a wreck. I didn't even have 30 seconds to figure out what poses to hit let alone practice them!!! Needless to say, this time around I made sure I was ready as much as I could be.

Q: As a show itself what did you think of it?
A: The USA's is a well oiled machine. It's fast paced, crazy, yet organized. The expeditors are constantly communicating (yelling) to all the competitors backstage. Check in is so intimidating for me. It is the part I like the least. It's like weight in at a boxing match (not that I've been to any, just seen it on tv), you have the media, the fans, the competitors, the promoters from other shows, the entourage that travel with their athlete, and they're all watching and checking everyone out. Besides that though, the last couple of times I've done this show, I always leave feeling complete. Like I finished what I set out to do. Just a side note, my first time at the USA's I didn't even place in the top 15 so to say that I still felt complete post show is saying a lot about this highly charged show.

Q: How confident were you going in?
A: Super confident. Simply because I felt in control with my body and was very happy with where I was.

Q: After pre-judging how were you feeling about your chances?
A: I was in shock and super excited to be in the second call out. So what happened with my posing went from being confident to just being happy I'm in the mix. I was so overwhelmed that it never crossed my mind that I'm fighting for that 5th place spot since the first call out was only 4 athletes.

Q: How did you feel about the overall package your brought to the stage?
A: Very happy considering I do my own hair and makeup. Everything came together, I could've been a little tighter with less water in my legs but other than that I have no regrets with the package I presented at the USA's.

Q: What part of your physique would you say was the one you have improved the most the last year?
A: My entire backside. My back is a little denser than last year and my glutes/hams are a little tighter and fuller than last year.


Q: Was there one aspect of your physique you thought could have been better or
you wan to improve on?
A: My waistline! I'm a fanatic about this area and have been for the last year. There needs to be more improvement in this area.

Q: Did your prep go as smoothly as hoped for?
A: Yes it did. I wasn't a total smooth operation but I was able to navigate around situations and circumstances to keep me on the right path of getting on stage complete. It's micro time management to the tenth power. I run a business, I help manage a gym, I'm a mom, I do all of these things along with the normal contest prep that each athlete goes through.

Q: Is there a point in the prep process where you say "O.K. I am ready"?
A: For this show, it was the drive to the airport to fly to Vegas. Mind and body came together and I felt at peace for a brief moment then my mind went back to it's 90mph way of being. Planning, planning, planning...

Q: Anything about the prep process that you can say you want to do different
next time?
A: I need to research more on water depletion, this is an area I really need help with. When to start, how much to drink, what supplement works best for me.

Q: After a show like that, are you mentally drained at all?
A: Honestly Jason, when you finish much better than expected you're really not mentally drained. You're riding high for a couple of days. I was more physically drained from the water depletion. It took me 3 days to fully recover since the show was over a two day time frame.

Q: The week before a show like that, what were you thinking about? Nervous or
excited, or what?
A: For this show, I was very nervous which is good. If you're not nervous, either you don't care or you think you got it in the bag. I knew this show was going to have a lot of the best bodies and a ton of them showing up. I knew how big the stage is and how small you feel walking on that stage. I knew the lights would be hot as hell and the judges would be right there in front of you going over every inch of your physique.

Q: How about those last 5 minutes before you hit the stage, what were you
thinking about?
A: Don't F#!@ up (sorry, but you wanted to know right?) and then the technical stuff like: keep up your ribcage, stretch and make yourself tall on the transition turns, connect with the judges, sit on your lats, don't over pose, *repeat*

Q: When you are on stage did you try and read the judges reactions at all or
just focus on what you are doing?
A: This is a great question. I always tell myself not to read the judges and focus on my presentation and posing. Ha! Then when I get on stage and I look at them, I find myself running off with my thoughts on that particular judge 'okay, why is he looking at me crazy or is it just me', or 'what is that guy telling the other guy?' and you have to get it together or you'll screw yourself in the end!

Q: Whats the first thing you ate once it was over?
A: IN-N-OUT BURGER, FRIES, STRAWBERRY SHAKE (I love strawberry shakes). The people that work there are ALWAYS in a good mood which makes the experience of eating their food that much better.

Q: Was there any other competitors you noticed who really impressed you?
A: Heather Grace hands down. I remember sitting in the stands with my family and she walked stage like a jaguar. I couldn't take my eyes off her! The physique and the posing went hand in hand. She walked on that stage like 'I'm your winner'. I will never forget it.

Q: What will be your biggest memory from the entire weekend?
A: That 6th place spot and seeing my husband and daughter waiting for me both grinning from ear to ear. Now that's the real prize.

Q: How important is support from family and friends at a show like this?
A: It's critical. You need a support system to carry you through the tough times. I can't imagine doing any of this without my husband or my daughter. My husband is also my trainer/nutritionist/coach and he's been a vital part of me getting to this level twice.

Q: Have you decided when you will be on stage next?
A: I know this interview is about the USA's but I've competed at the JR USA's recently and placed 5th. It's been a week since the JR USA's and I've been able to reflect and think about future plans. I am definitely going back to the USA's in 2011.

Q: Anyone you want to thank for helping you in the process?
A: I want to thank my family, Charles and Nohea, for giving me the support I need to compete at this level, their love and patience is all I need! Kassandre Harper-Cotton is another person I want to thank. Reading her blogs and posts makes me feel normal! I've emailed her a couple of times and she has been a great source of inspiration and knowledge. And last but not least, all of my clients. They continue to support my business and for this, I am very grateful.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Our business A Team Fitness has been around for 8 years, we work with competitive natural athletes, non-competitive clients on nutrition, training and/or posing. Anyone interested can contact me via email: ateamfitservices@aol.com for a consultation.

Q: Christine, again congrats, you really did look incredible, and I have so
much respect for you.. Any last words before you go?
A: Jason, I'm always flattered when you ask me to do an interview and I thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment