Friday, September 24, 2010

Jaimi Mize Interview




Jaimi Mize is one of the two beautiful women behind Iron Angels. Jaimi is that rare combination of beauty, great physique, intelligence, and kindness. Her story to get into the shape she is in is actually rather inspiring. If you are not familiar with Jaimi, I suggest you become familiar and don't forget to check out www.iron-angels.net.




Q: First Jaimi, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Its my pleasure Jason.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I was born and raised in Texas. I'm a proud Texan for sure! I was raised by my father Kim Mize, he was a single father and did what he could to provide for me and my brother Shane. My mom and my stepdad were very much a part of my life as well. I never was really into sports that much in fact I was the mascot at Burleson High School lol I don't admit that to alot people. I was what I considered a little overweight. The summer before my senior year I began having an eating disorder to be exact anorexia. I got down to 98 pounds then got really sick. After I got sick I started gaining weight back and started going to a local gym and I never looked back after that.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I saw a picture of Monica Brant and I wanted to look just like her. After I got sick I had ordered one of her DVD's and it motivated me so much. Still to this day she is some one I look up to

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: My body actually reacted very quick, I was shocked how easy I could put on muscle. I think it was just something my body had never experienced , I wasn't the most active person back in the day.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: Again really goes back to seeing that picture of Monica Brant. I never thought that I could get to that level. I started training back in 2003 and year by year by body got closer and closer to my goal. I'm very hard on myself and I struggled with alot of mind games that preventing me from competing. I researched so much on competing and got nutrition and training certs so I dedicated my life to train athletes for shows. I've trained with some amazing people over the years that I learned so much from Quincy Taylor and Trish Warren to name a few.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends support?
A: My family has always supported me in any path I took in fitness. When I do step on that stage they will be first people I will hear, my family is not known to be quiet. I can honestly say that I cant wait to have them see me on stage they have been with me through all my struggles and nothing you bring me more joy. Might even shed a tear :)

Q: Anything that surprised you about the competing process?
A: I think just through my experiences with clients and living and breathing bodybuilding. You never know what to expect. The judges at one show might like something different then at another show, it can be frustrating at times cause you don't know what they want. I always tell my clients we will do what best fits your body. Of course getting in front of hundreds of people in a bathing suit or if we can even call it that lol can always be nerve racking I don't care who you are.

Q: What would you say is your best body part?
A: Oh that's easy ask anybody they would say my Hamstrings. I'm known for my legs. I've even had people tell me to get them insured! I work hard to keep them conditioned by running sprints and the good ole' stepmill

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love to train shoulders! Back in the day I always wanted nice capped shoulders and now that I have them I admit I'm obsessed now. As far as favorite exercise I enjoy doing lateral raises, I think that has really helped round my delts.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like?
A: When not getting ready for a show or photoshoot I work out weight 4 days a week still try to keep a healthy lifestyle don't want to get to far off track. When I have gotten ready for shows in past it was a very strict eating every 2-3 hours but I keep my carbs in my diet alot of people take them out but my body reacts better with carbs. Muscles look fuller. I on the other hand have to do alot of cardio sometimes 2 hours a day to look conditioned.

Q: When people see your physique for the first time, whats the most common reaction?
A: I get stopped all the time asking me if I compete or model. I think it's rare to see a women with muscle now days. I often see some women whispering about me maybe they think I'm to big but it has never bugged me. For the most part I think people respect us for what we have to sacrifice to look they way we do.

Q: When they see it that first time, what's the one question you are most sick of hearing?
A: " How much do you bench"?! I hate that question or" Do you workout?" Come on folks.

Q: Whats the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: People automatically think you take steroids. That really stirs me up if you eat right you can look just as good. I'm not saying that some women don't but don't label every women that has muscle. It makes people that have a goal to step on that stage think they cant do it without it.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best is definitely when you look in the mirror and see muscles that you never thought you had. You feel beautiful cause everything you try on looks good. The worst part besides strict dieting would have to be the after effects. I see it with my clients you can get a little depressed because you know you need to gain some weight back but its very hard on the mind.

Q: Any competitors you admire or are a fan of?
A: Monica Brant of course! I also admire Trish Warren, Jessica Paxton-Putnam and Traci Redding

Q: What is your favorite cheat food?
A: Your going to make me crave this now and I'm dieting for a photoshoot! I love Ihop pancakes!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: I would tell her what Trish Warren told me one time. "Have fun" Which to me is the best advice cause you can get caught up with everything but if your not enjoying yourself then why do it.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society to see women training in the gym as hard as men?
A: I think and I hope it is. I don't think society will ever accept women bodybuilders but for the most part back in the day you would never see a women in the free weight area. Now we are everywhere!

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to spend time with my family. We live in pretty the same area so we do alot of things together. I also have another addiction I watch FOXnews all the time, politics has always interested me.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jaimi Mize.
A: Its pretty simple, If I'm not working for my stepdad. I wake up and go straight to the computer and start networking that can last up to 4 hours some days. I , of course, leave time for my workout and cardio. Usually have a couple of clients I train in the afternoons. I'm really busy right now with my business partner Brandi and our new company Iron Angels, LLC. Getting all the legal aspects nailed down can be stressful.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I was the mascot at my high school. We were the Elks so I wore a hot elk suit.

Q: Describe Jaimi Mize in five words.
A: Caring-Fun-Corny-Giving-Loving

Q: Can you tell people about Iron Angels?
A: Yes! Iron Angels consists of me and fitness and bikini model Brandi McCauley. Our website Iron-Angels.net will be up and running September 2010. On the site you will find cute apparel designed by Brandi and myself along with workout attire designed by myself. There will also be links to our blogs, updated diary, our youtube reality series, which tracks us daily on what it takes to make it in this business, training packages for purchase and an exclusive VIP membership also available.

Q: Any set plans for the near future?
2A: As of right now focusing on my company and fitness modeling. We have a photoshoot set up with the amazing Dan Ray in mid August and some more in September for our website. We will be doing promo events which you can find our schedule on our website in September. Along with on reality series on youtube which you can subscribe to for free find it under Iron Angels. Brandi and myself do look to compete next year not sure which shows at this time

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Check out our website Iron-Angels.net
Follow us on twitter- Iron Angels, we can also be found on myspace and facebook under iron angels and don't forget to check out our reality series on youtube under iron angels.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you?
A: We would love sponsors for our website and individually as athletes we can be reached at ironangels007@yahoo.com We booth have done several booth work for companies, if your interested we have references.

Q: Again, Jaimi, thanks so much for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: I appreciate your support of women in this industry. Much respect to you. If anybody out there wants to be on Iron Angels mailing list email us at ironangels007@yahoo.comThank you

No comments:

Post a Comment