Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Jayce-lyn Jean Interview





I came across Jayce-lyn Jean on my fan page. Didn't know who she was or anything about her. Just knew that she looked pretty impressive and was probably new to competing and those are two things I like in someone I interview. Then I got to know a little of her story and was really excited to interview. Jayce-lyn went from being overweight to looking as good as she does now. She clearly enjoys the training and competing and has the right attitude to go a long way in the fitness industry.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the gym?
A: I was in a bad relationship and that was my away time. My time where I could not have to answer to anybody and I was in control of it. I was almost 200 pounds and so it was to lose weight.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and why did you decide to compete?
A: I had been training about six and a half years. I had gotten to a point where I was in decent shape, I had been a trainer and it was the next step to challenge myself.

Q: Often people who don't know the sport don't understand it. Did you have to explain to people it wasn't a T&A thing and that it was fitness?
A: Yeah, a lot of people stereotype it. They don't understand it. They think you just stand up there in a bathing suit and it's a lot more disciplined than that. Still, every day someone asks me about it and you have to go through how it isn't just about how you look, it's about discipline and control.

Q: Was there any part of prep that was harder than you expected?
A: I expected it to be harder. I had already gone through a clean diet without any processed foods, sugars, things like that. The hard part was that I am a school bus driver and have to be at work at 5:45 during the school year, so getting up at 3:30 to go to the gym the first time was hard.

Q: Right before you went on stage, were you nervous at all?
A: The moment right before I think the nerves just kind of go away, but yeah I was nervous up until I saw the lights. That's how it was for me.

Q: Overall, was the competing experience what you expected or was anything different than expected?
A: It wasn't quite what I expected. A lot of the girls were less competitive than I thought they were going to be. I put a higher expectation on myself and some people I don't think took it as seriously health wise as I did.

Q: Some people say competing becomes an addiction, was that the case for you?
A: Yeah, I definitely wanna do it again. You wanna top what you did last time and continue to challenge yourself.

Q: Any idea when you want to compete again?
A: I am hoping to do a show on August 18th if my body responds.

Q: What show is tat?
A: It is the INBF here in New Haven, Connecticut.

Q: If you do it, where would you like to be better at from the last one?
A: I came in really really lean the first time which is great, but I felt I was a little too small and I needed to put on a little muscle. With the show so close, I might not be able to do that. I also wanna work on a little bit of stage presence. It is a learning experience.

Q: A lot of people who compete the first time don't understand the importance of stage presence. Now that you have done a show, can you explain how important it is?
A: I have to say it is probably fifty percent of how they look at you. They are looking at your structure and all the hard work you put in, but you go up there and don't smile and present it the right way they wont see what you worked so hard for. It is tough to smile, you are trying to flex and not look like you are straining, you are tired and dehydrated. You just have to just go with it and pretend haha.

Q: Are there any competitors you look up to?
A: There are a few. My coach, I see what he is capable of and where he has come from. And my posing coach Michelle Brent. Her personality, teaching me how to pose. She has great stage presence. Somebody like Ava Cowan, her physique is phenomenal. I hope to look half as good as she does.


Q: What is your normal training routine like?
A: Typically it is a five day. I pick one body part and focus on it. I do cardio every day, I think it is important. Some days I do twenty minutes and some I might do forty-five. I like to do the Monday through Friday thing so I have the weekend. Now that I have been doing the three day split I like the random off day in the middle of the week.

Q: Do you get a lot of unwanted attention in the gym?
A: not really. I belong to a private club and it is mostly an older crowd which is great. They are supportive and ask why I work so hard. A couple ladies found out after I competed and wanted to take me to lunch. I do belong to one of the chain gyms but they just come in to work out.

Q: Is there anything else such as fitness modeling that you want to do?
A: I would be interested in learning and trying anything. Modeling was something I thought about before, not just fitness modeling. I have always been told since I am 5'9" and up until six years ago I wasn't skinny but I have lost all the weight so people started asking. I am not into marathons, I really like lifting weights.

Q: If you could spend one day training with anyone, who would you pick?
A: Probably my own coach. Everyone has a story, but I know him and have seen it first-hand. He can push me farther than someone who doesn't know me.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: Michelle Brent and my coach Marc Andrade. I have tons of questions and they are there to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment