Thursday, July 5, 2012

Kaitlin Young Interview


Coming off a draw with Leslie Smith in the fight of the night and possibly fight of the year at the first Invicta, Kaitlin Young returns to the cage on July 28th at the second Invicta against Liz Carmouche. Stylistically this fight has the potential to once again steal the show. Kaitlin went through a rough patch but has of late looked great in the cage and a win over Carmouche could definitely be a big statement win.

Q: For someone involved with the first Invicta, what were your overall thoughts on it?
A: It was awesome. It was the best treatment I have had from any promotion. Super organized, the flights and airport pick-up, everything, it was stress free, we had flight information super early. A lot of times promotions won't buy enough water, there was tons of water, they did everything. It was so well organized, all you had to do was focus on fighting.

Q: Do they have the right people and plans to make it a long term success?
A: I think so. I've said before, I don't know a ton of the inner workings, but their business model, finding top female talent, which it is no secret females make less than males with the same exposure on big shows, so in that sense it is easier to put on quality fights and be competitive in the market, while still paying fighters what they are worth and putting on a good show.

Q: You and Leslie Smith fought to a draw, what did you think of the decision?
A: I thought I won. I thought I had more effective strikes but my movement, to one judge it looked like she won because it looked like I was moving back even though I was countering. So, I felt like I won but she also felt the same way. But you cant leave it up to the judges and complain, so I cant complain haha.

Q: Is there anything you wish you had done differently?
A: Yeah, there are a couple times I know I had hurt her and I wish I would have exploited those more. I wish I had started on that leg earlier and stayed on it more, I think I could have finished the fight that way. I also wish I would have stuck with one of my submission attempts and held on to it a little more.

Q: Even with it being a draw, do you take satisfaction knowing it was fight of the night and possibly fight of the year?
A: Yeah, it's really great. It sucks that it wasn't a win, but it also wasn't a lose. You have that learning experience to take from it. Ultimately you are trying to entertain people, that's what professional sports are about, you want to be the best for sure, but if you aren't entertaining no one will want you to fight either, so as long as fans are entertained, that's what promoters are trying to do anyway.

Q: You gained a lot of new fans with that fight, do you take pride in that?
A: Oh yeah, it's always great and flattering to have people enjoy what you put your heart and soul into every day. It is a great feeling when I hear something like that.

Q: You are fighting Liz Carmouche, what do you know about her?
A: A lot actually. She has been in the public eye since her start. She is super aggressive, great at getting takedowns and working strikes from the top. She has a coach that cares about her a lot and that can be huge to a fighter. She trains super hard, I love it, she is busting her ass so we can put on a great performance.

Q: With your styles, is it safe to say you could walk out of there having the fight of the night again?
A: I think so. I think we are both pretty fast paced, we almost always have exciting fights. I am hoping so, and I know she feels the same way.

Q: She has been in the public eye as you said, would a win be a big boost for you profile wise?
A: Yeah it would be huge for me. I do have one win missing from my record that is a good one and I hope it surfaces soon. It would be another good one, any victory is a good one, not discounting anyone I have fought before, but of course Liz is awesome, she is top level competition, it would be huge for me.

Q: Where do you hold the biggest advantage?
A: I think my stand-up. My timing with my stand-up and my defensive striking.

Q: Is there a key to winning this fight?
A: All fighters say this and it sounds cliche, but really just playing my game. Not letting her impose herself. She is strong and does a good job bullying people, so keep a cool head and fight fire with fire.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: No I never I make predictions. I am a lame interview haha.

Q: Any idea what you want after this or are you just focused on this fight?
A: Really just focused on this. I sometimes think the world is gonna stop after it cause I don't think past it. There are so many good people Invicta has, I just wanna fight with them again really.

Q: So you would like to keep fighting for them?
A: I would love to. To be honest, I don't wanna fight anywhere else at this point. A lot of girls feel that way so competition to get on their cards, so hopefully the next time I am offered a fight it's with them.

Q: There are a lot of people who wanna get on their cards, so does it make you feel they believe in you that you have been on both cards?
A: Yeah It is a huge compliment. I always feel motivated to train and put on a show, but it makes me want to do it not just for me and my fans and team, but for them also.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: Yes! My team at the Academy, they are the best, they are so helpful. I would like to name names but it would take a really long time haha. Greg Nelson, Ryan Murray, Robert Brant has been working on my boxing, I just got done and am heading to Horsepower with Matt Miller, my strength and conditioning coach. My sponsors, Gamebred, Intimidation, Sterling Entertainment Group and MMA Chick. Thank you for always interviewing me.

1 comment: