Monday, July 9, 2012

Jaime's Phoenix Theory

Jaime’s PHOENIX THEORY





It’s been an intense week. Progress didn’t quite go as planned (weight plateaued), and while my coach was reassuring, we both felt like I’d been slacking a little. In fact, his exact words were, “I do know you can do better, and I also know our best days are still ahead of us.” He’s great, right? Well here’s the thing, you know how when you’re a child (and even into adulthood), it’s always worse to hear your parents say, “I’m disappointed” than, “I’m mad.” The idea of having disappointed your parents is just… icky. It doesn’t sit well with any of us.

Well, I’m here to tell you that if you have the right contest prep coach, it should feel exactly like that. Anyone who has competed before knows the importance of having a support system behind you for your entire prep. Now, it doesn’t have to be a coach, it can be a significant other who encourages you and maybe helps cook your meals; or it could be a best friend who’s willing to endure your contest prep workouts with you, and suffer through the hours of cardio just so you have someone to talk to.

I am lucky, and consider myself blessed, to have all three: An incredibly encouraging coach with a tough-love approach, who balances looking after my health (mental and physical) with getting me shredded, an amazing, supportive boyfriend who puts up with my brain-fog, and encourages me to do and be my best, and an empathetic best friend/training partner who not only provides me with prep-friendly recipes, but is also willing to readjust her work schedule just so we can train and do cardio together so I don’t have to suffer alone 

I guess this post was a rant about making sure you have a solid social support network behind you. Bodybuilding, while a seemingly individual sport, actually kind of teaches you to rely on the people in your corner. If it wasn’t for the members of my team (3DMJ baby!) , my close friends, my mom, and my boyfriend I wouldn’t even compete, let alone be successful.

13, 14, 15, 17 and 18 weeks out update:

WEIGHT:

Dropped from 164.6 to 162

CURRENT MACROS:

150/115/40 (p/c/f) – 3 days in a row
140/160/40 – Every 4th day

TRAINING:

Sticking with the Upper/Lower Power/Hypertrophy split. Holding onto muscle, baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment