Monday, July 19, 2010

Christina Watson Interview







I have said before, I have met and gotten to know some many people in the industry, that for most, it is all a blur as to when I first came across them. But there are a few that for whatever reason, I remember the first time I saw them. One of those people are Christina Watson. First time I saw her I was in awe at how beautiful she was. Then after getting over that, I was again in awe at her incredible physique. Christina is respected as both a competitor and a fitness model, and it is not hard to see why. Competing for the first time in 2006, and having done a number of shows in that time, Christina has already made a name for herself, and that name is going to continue becoming bigger and bigger. Keep your eyes on Christina Watson.






Q: First, Christina, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for selecting me to do this and let me say I am very sorry it took me a couple of weeks to get back with you. But thank you for being so patient with me!

2. Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Well my name is Christina Watson I'm 30 yrs young, I was born and raised and still live in Ohio. I am the youngest of 6 siblings (2 step). I come from a very close family and some of literally only lives within blocks of each other..LOL. I started competing in April of 06' at which time I won my first show (John Seif) and the overall title. I found a love for this sport on accident actually. I had always worked out but never to this extreme and my diet was not up to pare at all I was what people would call "skinny fat". I sought the help of a trainer in 05' and he noticed how quickly I transformed in very short time frame and suggested I do a show. I had no idea what to expect but let me tell you I loved it and haven't stopped competing since. I believe that I have done somewhere around 15-17 shows (I lost count)! I have recently switch from NPC to INBF organization simply because I believe that living a clean drug free lifestyle is the only way to go! I was very tired of people suggesting that I had or was on some kind of steroid because I can gain so much muscle for a girl, sorry folks but it's called hard work and both of my trainers (Scott and Monty Mabry) can testify that I do put in work to get the results you see today!

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: I was never athletic only cheered in grade school and took aerobics classes to maintain weight so that I could feel better. It wasn't until I turned 17 and found out I had Ulcerative Colitis (inflammation of the intestines) that I started to take care of myself. This disease cane make things a little difficult when getting ready for a show or just everyday life for that matter.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My boyfriend was a freak about working out and he tried to teach me proper form and better eating habits but it wasn't until I confessed to him I needed a trainer, I couldn't keep following him around the gym trying to do the same things as him and his friends. I needed the knowledge to get the body that I knew was in there!

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started
to see results?
A: I picked up training very easy I must say. I would study the movement of my trainer and his form so that I could do my workouts properly. In a sense you are the student and he is the teacher, so I came ready to learn! I saw results in the first month that I began training/dieting.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I had saw a couple of shows in the past and I knew I wanted that physique but it was my trainers encouragement that got me on that stage!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: O yes, my family are huge supporters of everything I do. I can honestly say that by seeing me achieve goals through training and diet it has motivated my family do make better food choices and to start working out even if it's just walks in the evening something is better than nothing.

Q: Was the first competition what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: My first show was a total shocker! I remember being in the pump up room looking at those girls like OMG they look great and have awesome suits. I was just in a fog because I didn't get nervous at all I was just ready to get up there and hope I didn't fall over in those shoes...LOL! I couldn't believe it when I won my class and the overall. I truly didn't get how transformed my body was until I saw the pictures the next day, that's when it hit me ( I had arrived)!!

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Too many to list, but I can tell you I competed in the Arnold Classic Amateur in 08', Junior Nationals 09', and most recently my first INBF show this past April.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one/
A: It's a toss of between my abs and back, they are both pretty noticeable.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love anything shoulders, a great set of shoulders can bring balance to the rest of your body.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it
for contest prep?
A: I use to have a set routine MON/WED - leg days, Tues - chest/triceps, Thurs - Back/biceps, Fri - shoulders, Sat - Bootcamp, Sun - off or light cardio, I keep abs in my workouts everyday. The only thing that stays the same with my diet is breakfast - egg whites and oatmeal.

Q: When someone sees or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most
common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: The number one thing I hear is "Your a bodybuilder"! and I reply "no I compete in the Figure division BIG difference.."lol. Then it's usually followed by some crazy thing they have heard like we starve ourselves and do nothing but fake tan and workout all the time (so not true). As anyone in this game would know we eat all the time and if you leave your arm out long enough we might eat that too....LOL!

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or
comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Woman with muscle are gross", I beg to differ lady's!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part for me is meeting all those people that are going through the same thing and they all are sharing the same goal. Showtime is that one day you don't have to explain why your eating Tilapia, and drinking a gallon of water to anyone. Everyone gets you, you feel like you belong somewhere! Worst part for me is not placing, I can't help it I'm extremely competitive and not making top 5 is always disappointing for me at the moment but then i just try harder the next time.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Where do I start...Jamie Eason, Gina Alotti, Monica Brant, Jen Hendershott, Latisha Wilder, I could keep going for days!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: This is going to be hard but don't give up, use every ounce of fear, pain, sweat, and tears and go for it! No one can stop you but you!

Q: Do you get a lot of questions from friends about diet advice?
A: Not really, typically I suggest something for them when we go to dinner but ultimately it's their choice. I like crazy stuff so they don't ask me anymore...LOL.

Q" Is fitness modeling something that interests you?
A: Yes when I first started competing I was like I'm going to stick with whatever takes off first my modeling or fitness career, boy was I silly they both took off like a rocket. You can see some of my work on my website www.cwmodeling.net

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to travel, watch movies, love to shop (it's my weakness), anytime with my family is always great.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Christina Watson.
A: I have a pretty simple life, lets see AM cardio, then it's off to work I'm the Operations Manager at LA Fitness in Beavercreek OH, nightly workout, chill with the family get a good dinner and do it again the next day. I use to be on the go constantly with modeling, training, traveling but my New Years resolution 09' was to stop and smell the roses for once, life's too short!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I love to do yard work or anything that involves me being outside. I say this because people say I come off very DIVA like until you get to know me. Trust me if I could show up to work in sweats and tee shirt, no makeup I would people:)

Q: Describe Christina Watson in five words.
A: Resilient, Loyal, Independent, Strong , Caring

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: None as of yet!

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Checkout my new website www.cwmodeling.net - All Natural is the way to go!

Q: Are you looking for sponsors?
A: I have been looking for a sponsor for years just don't know how to go about getting one, every story I have heard from athletes is that is just happened for them.

Q: Christina, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words
before you go?
A: Thank you again for giving me them opportunity to communicate with other athletes that share the same passion I do for this sport! God is Love:)

No comments:

Post a Comment