Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tymikia Glenn Interview


Imagine how hard it must be to look like Tymikia Glenn. Then imagine how hard it must be to do it while also having to train clients. Then imagine having to also do it while raising three children under the age of ten. Sounds pretty hard right? Well Tymikia Glenn finds a way to do it. There may be no better example of why I do this blog then Tymikia. A woman who works her butt off, looks amazing, and needs to be more known. A veteran of only two competitions, Tymikia is someone who with her hard work and dedication is going to keep getting better and keep getting more and more attention in this sport.



Q: First, Tymikia, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for thinking of me, I have heard a lot of good things about you and I‘m honored

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself?
A: I’m originally from Memphis TN, but reside in Milan, TN, my husband and I have been married for over 8 years and we have 3 sons. I run a mobile personal training business, and love spending time with my children.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I ran Track and Field, I competed in sprints, hurdles and I was a triple jumper. I was also a member of the cross country team

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: Always enjoyed working out and the way it made my body look. I was naturally skinny, so I liked the extra curves the muscles gave me

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, it came to me fairly easy, I have been lifting since high school, but not until I got to college did I start to see major results

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: One night I was at home flipping through the channels really late at night and I came across a fitness competition and I thought to myself I would love to do that someday. Fast forward 10 years and meet this guy who is training for his second show and all the old memories start coming back. And once I found out there was a figure division, I was all game!


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: Absolutely, I have competed in 2 shows, and my mom and husband were at them both

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: It was not what I expected, much, much harder. I was surprised by how nice the other competitors were. With my track and field background it was so separated, you stay to yourself, run your race and go home. Competitions really did feel like a big family, although I had never met those girls, they made the memories of my very first show pleasant

Q: Can you share your contest history?
A: I am a newbie to this sport. My very first show was Hub City Fitness Quest on May 28, 2010 in Jackson TN, and my second was Battle on the Bluff on July 26, 2010 in Tunica, MS

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: That’s a tough one. I would have to say my abs.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Love, love, love to train LEGS! Love the feeling after a great workout, favorite exercise has to be walking lunges

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I eat 5 times a day, every 2.5 to 3 hours, and train 5 days a week, different body part each day. I am naturally lean, so little to no cardio for me. Once contest prep is over, I slack off on the amount of protein I take in

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Very positive! I get compliments all the time

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: What can they do to look like you? What’s your diet and training plan?

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: That weight training does not equal manly looking physiques or the risk of losing your femininity

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: Best: the way my body looks, Worst: finding the time to get it in. I have 3 small children so it can be a struggle at times

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Teresa Anthony

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I love peanut butter and pancakes from IHOP

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Make sure you have the mind set to compete. Our sport is more mental than anything. You have to want it in your head first then the body follows.


Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society to see women training as hard as men in the gym?
A: YES

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Reading, spending time with my children and I dance as a-part of our church ministry

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Tymikia Glenn.
A: Rise at 430, read my daily devotional, eat some breakfast, go to the gym, get home at 6;30 get kids ready for school, fix lunches, drop them off at school, 8am come home clean house feed 3 year old breakfast, 9am start working on my fitness business i.e. training clients, teaching classes, 230 pickup kids from school and start cooking dinner, 430 to 630 teaching and training clients 7 feed kids, get baths, finish up any homework 8pm kids in bed, iron clothes for the following day for the kids, clean up kitchen and other odds and ends, 9pm finish making workouts for my online clients, 11pm bed time

Q: Describe Tymikia Glenn in five words.
A: Blessed and highly favored women of God

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I sometimes doubt the talent and knowledge God has given me about health and fitness. Many people view me as the go to girl when it comes to transforming their bodies, I know the information, but sometimes I do doubt myself and think that I may not be worthy of this title.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Not really sure about my competition plans. “Thinking” about first show being May 29th The Hub City Fitness Quest.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I have just recently started my own in home and online personal training business, not for competitors, but my passion is for the general population. There is such a need! We can be found at www.bodybyglennfitness.com Let us know what you think and sign our guestbook…

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Tymikia Glenn the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love a sponsor, having a sponsor would solidify my competition season as with most of us, the biggest reason for not competitions is money and with my 3 sons all under the age 10, money is always an issue. Not looking as I have only done 2 shows, still have a lot to learn about the business


Q: Tymikia, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for allowing me to partake of this wonderful opportunity! I’ve only been on stage 2 times, and each time has been different, loved them both and I am blessed to have met some wonderful people in our industry
OK, that’s it. Thanks again for doing it

No comments:

Post a Comment