Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jessica Dinch Interview


0-2 may not sound like an impressive record. But when you consider the 2 losses were very good showings against some really good fighters it actually is not bad at all. Especially when it is the record of Jessica Dinch. A determined skilled fighter from a really good school who is improving and is destined for big things in the sport. THey say don't judge a book by it's cover. Well don't judge a fighter by her record. Jessica is going to keep improving and you will want to make sure to watch her fight when you can.




Q: First, Jessica I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for giving me the opportunity!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I grew up in Wellsville, Ohio. A very small town where everyone knows everyone. I was a little bit of a trouble maker growing up and was getting into fights with other kids at an early age. Sooo...my grandfather took me to my first karate class. I loved it!! Sensei Marv Kinsey taught me discipline and dedication which surely straightened me out lol I graduated from Wellsville High School in 2003 and went on to Kent State University. I decided college wasn't for me so I Joined the United States Army. Basic training was AMAZING! I was stationed in Germany for a little over 2 years. After 3 and a half years I got out of the military and started training mma and jiu jitsu with a very good friend of mine Jon Arnette. I fell in love with every aspect of the sport! Now I'm at Team Bundy in Niles, OH training 6 days a week!

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: I think I was born with a basketball in my hand lol It has been my life since as far back as I can remember. I was always the little blonde girl playing basketball with all the older guys at 18th street basketball court! I was at the court every day until it was too dark to see. I played in high school starting varsity my freshman year! In our division in Ohio and West Virginia I was always in the top 3 for highest free throw percentage and most 3 pointers made! Along with basketball I played softball, powderpuff football, took tennis lessons, karate. I was definitely an athlete! Sports are my life!

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: I would have to say taking karate at a young age and also watching Gina Carano fight in a cage! When I seen her fight I was like "oh yeah I definitely gotta get into that"

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: The stand up aspect of it - Muay Thai kickboxing and striking yes! Jiu Jitsu nooo lol there are so many little mechanics that are so important in Jiu Jitsu that its gonna take me a long time to get good at! But the more I train at Team Bundy the more I learn and the better I get!

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: LOL people are going to think I'm crazy!! I only trained for 3 weeks!!! Nichole Long for NAAFS called me up at the beginning of January 2010 and asked if I wanted to fight Jan 30th and I said heck yeahhh!! I had not trained since summer of 2009!


Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: My friends were probably more excited for me to get into the cage than I was lol my family was also very supportive. Especially my younger sister who is probably my biggest fan! Although my mom and grandma weren't too thrilled! My mom cried at my 2nd fight and my grandma always tells me "Jessica you're going to get that ugly cauliflower ear" lol

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: I am at Team Bundy MMA in Niles, Ohio. A very very good gym with great coaches and amazing teammates!! If you live around the area I DEFINITELY recommend checking out this gym!!

Q: Can you give your overall record so far.
A: Yes sir my record is 0-2 so far! and I'm not ashamed of that. Because my first lost is to Shawna Brown who is a very tough female fighter and my 2nd lost is to Jordan McDonald who was ranked #3.

Q: Which fight so far is the one you are most proud of?
A: My first fight. It showed more of who I am as a fighter and what i'm capable of.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve?
A: My stand up is a lot better than my ground game. But I've been working on that and everything is starting to come together very well!

Q: Name the one fight you have seen that you will always remember?
A: I'd have to say Jason Dent vs Chris Lozano at NAAFS - Fight Night in the Flats. It was an amazing fight. The fans were throwing chairs. It was crazy lol But both of those fighters define champions!

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: Brian the predator Rogers and Tamikka Brents are the most entertaining fighters I've watched! And they are both badass!

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Cyborg - Megumi fujii - Sarah Kaufman - Tara Larosa - Gina Carano

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: Oh for sure!! Women's MMA is growing rapidly!!

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: Truthfully because women fighters are way more badass then people want to believe! We are always underestimated and that gives us the drive to put on one hell of a show =)


Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we are weak and not as good as the male fighters. But I bet if you put Cyborg in the cage with a 145 lb male she would come out the winner =)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do it!

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Sports. I love sports!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jessica Dinch.
A: Right now it varies from day to day. I'm in the process of trying to find work and getting into a trade school! But 6 days out of the week you can find me in the gym for 3+ hours! and when I'm not in the gym I'm spending time with friends and family!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm not sure if there is anything people would be surprised about lol

Q: Describe Jessica Dinch in five words
A: HONEST - LOYAL - AMBITIOUS - OPEN-MINDED - STRONG

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: I plan on getting back into the cage March 12th =) TEAM BUNDY FEMALE FIGHTERS are going to take over the cage that day!! Ashley Hawkins and Rebecca Gruitza will also be on that card!

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: TEAM BUNDY MMA!! COME CHECK IT OUT!! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED =)

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Jessica Dinch the fighter and person?
A: They can reach me at jdinch03@yahoo.com and they would be getting a hard working, determined, loyal woman who never gives up!!

Q: Jessica again, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you and for the exposure you give to female fighters =)

No comments:

Post a Comment