Monday, January 31, 2011

IFBB Pro Karly Woodle Interview


A friend who knows about my blog asked me if I knew a girl named Karly Woodle that he used to work with. I knew the name but knew little about her. So figured it was time to find out. In no time, I went from knowing little, to a fan. Looked at some pictures and saw a beautiful woman with a great physique (highlighted by an amazing back). What also struck me, is she seemed from those pictures to have a great stage presence and enjoy being on that stage. Asked her to do an interview which obviously she did, and she did a great interview to. She is prepping right now for the St. Louis Pro, and I am excited to see the package she brings, which will no doubt be incredible.





Q: First, Karly, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for the opportunity!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I'm an only child, originally from North Carolina. A former flight attendant, I moved to Phoenix AZ in 2006 when I rebased. Here I met one of my best friends who introduced me to my trainer and this sport.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or
anything?
A: Haha, oh no, I had a fear of team sports, I'm the ultimate klutz! I always worked out, but didn't really have all the pieces put together (diet, etc), that took some time to learn.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: One of my good friends who I worked with introduced me to my current trainer, after I decided that I wanted a better workout that would show results.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started
to see results?
A: It was pretty easy to pick up, I'm a gym rat by nature. My body has always responded well, so I saw results pretty quickly.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: My trainer is a former competitor and told me I had the genetics to do well at the sport...I went to my first bodybuilding/figure show and decided it was something I wanted to try.


Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: At first my family was kinda like "What?"..haha, it caught on though, they're my biggest fans. My friends are somewhat supportive...but there are always those people who want to tell you that what you're doing is unhealthy.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: My first contest prep was a bit surprising...you're never ready for how you're physically going to feel. I knew it was hard but not that hard!

Q: Can you share your contest history
A:
*2008-Tournament of Champions, 3rd place,
*2008-Excaliber, 1st place
*2009-Jr Nationals-1st place (earned pro card)
*2009 Sacramento Pro-16th place
*2010-Pittsburgh Pro-8th place
*2010-Dallas Europa SuperShow-16th place


Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My back/lats have always been my strongest body part, it's been work to bring everything else up to match.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I most enjoy back and biceps day, but my favorite exercise in general would be deadlifts.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it
for contest prep?
A: My normal training is 4 days of lifting per week, witha split of back/biceps,
chest/shoulders/triceps, and legs, with the fourth day being a mix of shoulder and leg work. My diet is consistently pretty low carb, we just change my amounts of carbs around during contest prep

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time,
what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: It's a mix, a lot of people really don't understand the sport. They'll complement my physique, but then tell me what I do is way too extreme for the body to handle haha.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you
are most sick of hearing?
A: "What do you eat!!!" Most annoying question ever haha!


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the
one thing you wish people understood?
A: That all of us must be taking some sort of supplement to gain muscle because it isn't normal for women to look that way...either that or we must be starving ourselves to get as lean as we do! I eat more than most guys I know!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part is the fact that I get to compete at this level doing something I truly love, and something that allows me to channel my natural drive. Worst...I really can't think of anything.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I'm a fan of Erin Stern and Jessica Putnam.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Anything peanut butter! Hide that stuff from me!! :)


Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one
piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Most women think cardio is the answer to everything, so I'd advise her to start weight training. Also to be patient, anything worth having is worth putting in the hard work for.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society to see women training
as hard as men in the gym?
A: It is, I feel like society is stepping away from that heroin-chic look that took over in the 90's, women want to look healthy and be strong now and I think that's commendable.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Just the normal stuff, shopping, going to movies, reading, hanging out with friends.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Karly Woodle.
A: Right now I'm in contest prep, so I get up about 4:45 (during the week), do my first cardio,come home eat, get ready for work, work til about 3:30 or 4, back home for another meal before training and my 2nd cardio, hit the tanning bed, then home to rest up!

Q: Describe Karly Woodle in five words.
A: Loyal, Ungodly stubborn, Persistent, Focused, Thoughtful

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Haha that I'm really not as mean as I look in the gym, I'm just focused!!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I'm about 8 weeks out from the St Louis Pro right now, and I plan on competing in a handful more of shows this season.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they
getting in Karly Woodle the athlete and competitor?
A: Always interested in sponsors, my personal website is www.karlywoodle.com, I can be contacted through there. I have a formal education in public relations, and as an athlete and competitor, you're getting someone who lives the part full time!


Q: Karly, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words
before you go?
A: I'd like to thank you so much again for the opportunity to do this interview, I think it's awesome that you promote strong women athletes. Ladies, get off the treadmill and hit the weights with the boys!!! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment