Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jodi Amerosa Interview








Jodi Amerosa competed once in 2003, then took a long time off, and finally as she says "just got serious about it the last year". Well looking at her photos you can see she definitely is taking it serious because with each show she looks more incredible. Now that she is taking it so serious it will be fun to watch her in the coming years and she continues to get even better. Her is a chance to learn a little about a woman I think is one of the most underrated competitors in Figure.



Q: First, Jodi, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank-You for giving me the opportunity to do this!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: My name is Jodi Amerosa and I currently live in Upstate New York with my husband. I just got married a little over a year ago. My family actually lives in Arkansas and that is where I am originally from. I did my first figure show seven years ago and in the last year decided to get serious with it again. I am also a full time surgical rep on top of my love for training.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: I ran track and was also a cheerleader and dancer in college.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I have always loved to go the gym! It all started when I decided to take step classes at my local gym, (remember when step aerobics was the thing to take!!) I was hooked ever since.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: I thought I picked it up easy, but looking back now, I had so much to learn!! Not until recently did I figure out what really worked for my body, and I am still learning. I have a very fast metabolism, so yes I noticed results very quickly.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time ?
A: A trainer from my gym at the time approached me about competing, and I thought it was a great opportunity to set a goal and stay in shape. I was up for the challenge!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Honestly, nobody even knew what I was talking about. They had no clue what competing was all about!! I still have to explain it to my mom!!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Yes and No. It is definitely not a beauty pageant like some people think. The thing that surprised me the most was myself! I could not believe how much stage fright I had, and no matter how hard I tried to control it, I just could not shake the nerves. You would think after being a cheerleader and dancer and performing in front of thousands of people I would not have a problem, but I did.

Q: Can you share your contest history

A:
*2003 Rochester, NY Championships. 3rd Place
*2009 Buffalo, NY Championships. 1st Place
*2009 Rochester, NY Championships. 1st Place
*2010 Arnold Amateur 3rd Place
*2010 Rochester, NY Championships. 1st place
*2010 Team Universe. 5th place
*2010 North Americans 4th place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I would have to say my back. I have been told I have a good V taper.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: I have a love hate relationship with training legs. I know this might sound weird, but I love lunges!!

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I normally train six days a week. I train each body part twice a week and also perform six days a week of cardio. I change my cardio up pretty often, so I don't get bored. I have a high metabolism, so sometimes I have to cut the cardio back. I eat 5 to 6 small meals a day and have high and low carb days. For contest prep, I follow whatever my coaches tells me to do, and I don't have to think so much about it.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I have to say that I really get a positive reaction from most people and they are surprised with my dedication. Everyone seems to be so supportive of me and understanding of what I do. I always have women from my gym give me compliments and also ask for advise on their own physique.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Wow you are so thin!" There is a difference in being thin and being lean and in shape!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I wish people would understand that this takes lots of hard work and dedication. You don't just get ready in a week and hit the stage, it takes months of training, hard dieting and learning how your body responds to prep. This is a life style that I have chosen.

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best part has to be the experience itself and all of the friends that I have made through this process. It takes so much dedication and work for that few minutes on stage, but it makes it all worth it to know that you accomplished something that not to many people can say they did. The worst part has to be the last two weeks of prep. I seem to get a little miserable during that time.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Hazal Nelson is a good friend of mine and IFBB Pro competitor. She has given me so much advise and has helped me along this journey.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: This is a long list, but I would have to say pizza and ice cream. Did I forget to mention the apple martini!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Set goals and be patient. To many women give up because they don't see results right away. If you can, hire a trainer to set you on the right path.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more accepted by society to see women training as hard as men in the gym?
A: For sure! Look at all the fitness magazines out there. All of those women who grace the covers are mostly competitors or are involved in the fitness industry.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I love to spend time with my friends and family. I also love to travel.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jodi Amerosa.
A: Wake up early and eat, train, eat, work all day, eat, eat, eat, cardio, eat and bed. Oh did I say eat!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I have a very hard time gaining weight!!!

Q: Describe Jodi Amerosa in five words.
A: Driven, Ambitious, Outgoing, Goal oriented, and Down to earth

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I will be competing at North Americans in two weeks. Depending on how I do there, will make my decision for the next step. Don't worry you haven't seen the last of me! I am going for the Pro card!! (NOTE: since this interview Jodi has done the North Americans and looked amazing in finishing 4th in her class)

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: I just started to take clients for training at Fitness Mill in NY Mills, NY. I am also currently working on my website and that will be available soon.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Jodi Amerosa the athlete and competitor?
A: I would love to get sponsored! I am a very dedicated to this sport and have great ideas to help promote products. you can reach me on my facebook page at Jodi Amerosa or at jodiusmail@yahoo.com

Q: Jodi, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: You can accomplish anything you put your mind to and don't give up on your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment