Sunday, October 10, 2010

IFBB Pro Gina Quinn Interview







Gina Quinn did not enter the gym till almost her 40th birthday. And after Team Universe she is an IFBB Pro. An amazing accomplishment for sure. That is and of itself is inspiring, but that is not all that makes her inspiring. Her dedication, hard work, and determination to reach that goal, regardless of age is what truly is inspiring. In 2011 Gina will step on the Pro stage, and I can't wait to see that.




Q: First, Gina, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am originally from Long Island NY....moved to CT when I was 4 where I grew up.
I graduated from Bradley University with a BS in marketing. I started with a sales career in communications and went into Pharmaceutical sales.
I got married at 26..had my first child at 28 and gave up the sales career to stay home and raise our 4 children.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: As a kid I took dance lessons...tap and ballet. I quit dancing when I was 11 and picked up gymnastics in to my high school years.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I walked into the gym for the first time just a few months before my 40th Birthday. It was my husband who had a sense of my potential as well as recognizing a need for a personal fulfillment.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: The first few months in the gym was just getting acquainted with the machines....it was a little awkward in the beginning....never expecting to stick with it. My husband encouraged me and pushed me to set goals and got me believing my body was changing.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I met Colette Nelson for the first time in 06.....and that changed everything!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: My husband has always been 100% supportive....my kids....well they're kids and my parents think it is a bit extreme.

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Colette taught me everything I needed to know....I was well prepared.

Q:You just recently won your Pro card at Team Universe. What did winning your Pro card mean to you personally?
A: I came to admire Colette so much that the thought of reaching Pro status was a dream. I always trained to win....but realistically knew how hard it would be for a lightweight.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Team U 07...2nd place, Jr. USA's 08.....2nd place, Team U 09.....3rd place, Team U 2010....1st place and overall
Always competing as a light weight.

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: My legs have always been strong with good size.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: Right now I would have to say I love to train back.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: In the off season I train 5x/week and do about 3 1/2-4 hours of cardio. At 16 weeks out I will train 6x/week....do morning cardio progressing to 2 hours/day 7x/week.
I try to keep my diet pretty much the same....5 meals/day. 50g protein/meal in the off season and 35g protein contest prep....much of which is fish. I follow the keto diet so carbs are very minimal.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I have always received a very positive and complimentary reaction from people.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Most comments have been positive.....but many are compelled to throw in..."it's all natural.....right?"

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: Most people are unaware of the level of commitment. It is a full time job....a life style and takes years of hard work.

Q: What is the best part of competing?
A: I love getting in shape. The stage is something I continue to work at getting more comfortable with.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Colette Nelson

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Nuts, peanut butter,cheese

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Enjoy the process.

Q: Do you think it s becoming more common to see women in the gym training and lifting as hard as men?
A: I don't see it in NH where I live.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: My husband and 4 children take up the rest of my time.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Gina Quinn.
A: Up between 7am-8am. Have a cup of coffee and get the kids off to school. walk for and hour outside as long as the weather is good. Have breakfast....and head to the gym. After I am done with my workout it boils down to errands, cooking, cleaning and getting kids to their sports and activities.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I think most people are most surprised that I have 4 kids and I am 46 yrs old.

Q: Describe Gina Quinn in five words.
A: Sassy, Motivated, Headstrong, Loyal ,Strong

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: I plan to compete on the pro stage in 2011.....looking toward the Hartford show mainly because I grew up in that area and have family and friends there.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Will be on herbiceps webcam starting early Sept.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Gina Quinnthe athlete and competitor?
A: I would love to be involved with Cabot and brancrisp bread because these products are in my diet every day AND I believe that they are beneficial to have in anyone's diet.
I would also love to promote high end nutritional products. Anyone I work with can always expect the highest level of professionalism and can reach me at gmquinn64@hotmail.com>


Q: Gina, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: The last 4 years have been amazing for me. I love the changes I have been able to make in my physique and having entered this personal quest at 40....it is never to late. I am also fortunate that my husband and children are so supportive and proud of me

No comments:

Post a Comment