Thursday, October 14, 2010

Faith Townsend Interview





Recently I attended the NAAFS Eve Of Destruction show and was lucky enough to sit next to Faith Townsend. I did not know her at the time, but really had fun watching the show next to her. I asked her to do an interview and she agreed. I am really happy she did because her interview was enjoyable to read. She lost her first fight by split decision, and is taking time off, but I can promise next time she does get in the cage, I will be there watching.




Q: First, Faith I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No problem, anytime. Thank you.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself?
A: Well I have been away from the sport for awhile, but I feel once you become a "fighter" there is just something that keeps you there.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: I was definitely athletic. I threw shot, discus, and javelin for 4 yrs. i played basketball, and was always big into football.

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: Funny you asked. A buddy of mine is a Pro fighter ad one day he saw me out and invited me to one of his fights, I believe it was IFBL Fight Night2 for anyone that remembers that. At the time I was about 280lbs. After the fight I talked with him for awhile about training just to loose weight. And from there I fell in love with the sport.

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: At first no because at that weight it was very hard to maneuver the moves, but after the weight started falling off it was no problem.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: Wow that was so long ago, I think it was about one year.

Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: Well my friends were all for it of course. My mom supports everything I do as long as its positive.

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: At the moment I am recovering from an injury so I'm not in the gym. I train independently to keep up to date and my body in shape.

Q: Can you give your overall record so far?
A: Well the first time I stepped into the cage I wanted to see where my training took me. I lost that fight by split decision. But very quickly realized that my opponent came from a highly respected, elite camp. I stood my ground with her and we gave a hell of a show. That fight made my record 0-1, and I told myself I wouldn't step in again until I was 150% prepared

Q: Which fight so far is the one you are most proud of?
A: I am very proud of that first fight . I put all that I had at the time into it and came out with my head high.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve?
A: My biggest strength I would definitely say is my ability to stand and bang. But when you grow up with 3 brothers you learn quickly. And I want to improve every aspect of my fighting, there is always room for improvement.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training and competing in the sport?
A: I don't believe there is a worse part of training, I love it all.....oh wait....being pushed till you throw up....Thanks Micah (laughing)

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch? Well I enjoyed all the girls at the "Eve of Destruction" show. I walked out of there that evening learning a little bit from each girl. HATS OFF TO YOU LADIES! But I would have to say my 2 favorite fighters are BJ Penn and Debi Purcell

Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Debi Purcell, Gina Carano, Lisa Ward, Chris Cyborg....4 is good enough

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: Are you serious? for sure female MMA is becoming something of a plague I believe one day it might dominate the males.

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: Well its definitely hyped up prior to the fight, but there is always one fighter that put maybe that extra 5mins in the gym or slowed down to think about that next move. You can always tell who wants it more.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we are not as strong or as skilled as the male fighters! NEWS FLASH! A lot of females are better than some of the males.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Be humble, train hard, don't give excuses. I see a lot of females and males get caught up in the "glam" of it all.They start getting a lot of attention, go to parties, get special treatment, and then they start getting cocky. I hate that. Don't forget who you are, or how you got where you are because as fast as you got there it can be taken away.

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Ahhh man I love drawing anything, watching Discover ID channel..... yeah I'm kind of a dork like that

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: (laughing) One leg is slightly longer than the other.....seriously it really is.

Q: Describe Faith Townsend in five words.
A: Simple, easygoing, trainable, funny, private

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: I live one day at a time, it keeps things interesting. As for fighting (laughing) who knows all I can say is stay tuned

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Really I just want to say "Watch out world" there are a lot of talented women coming on the scene. I want to thank the NAAFS because they took a chance and gave us females a home. Nichole Long....standing ovation for you. Nichole actually gave me my first shot and hasn't given up on me since, Thanks Nichole

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Faith Townsend the fighter and person?
A: Anyone for any reason can get a hold of me at townsend27@hotmail.com. Anyone who is involved with me knows that I am a hard worker dedicated to improvement.

Q: Faith again, I want to thank you for doing this. It was a pleasure to sit and watch the NAAFS show with you. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for being interested in interviewing me. Thank you for your time and I'm sure I'll be seeing you again ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment