Monday, October 4, 2010

IFBB Pro Emery Miller Interview








Emery Miller is a personal favorite of mine. Why? Could it be the incredible physique, the winning her Pro card after only three years, the inspiring story that lead her to the gym, the inspiring story about what she went through leading up to winning her Pro card, her obvious beauty, or maybe it has been now that I have gotten to know her, she is incredibly sweet and has been very supportive of me? I think it is a little bit of each of those things. Want to know why I love bodybuilding, and am so supportive of the women in it? Look no further than Emery.





Q: First, Emery, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: Better yet, let me thank YOU for caring enough about me to want the answers to the following questions. I appreciate your asking and everyone who takes the time to read this.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: Ok. I was born October 3, 1964...yes '64, in East Los Angeles. I was born 2 months premature with a heart condition. For most of my life I lived with my teenaged (at time of birth) mother and my grandparents in Downey, CA.
There really isn't anything exciting to say about my childhood. I was incredibly shy. I was in handicapped P.E., from 5th grade to 9th I was picked on & beat up by the cheerleaders in my school to the point that I had to change schools to a different county where I became part of the schools drama department & later did community theatre.
Nothing remarkable really. Just the average shy, dorky kid.

Q: Before the gym were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports or anything?
A: Noooooo! Hahahaha! Handicapped P.E. We did bowling & yoga! The really sad thing is that I was capable of much more all along but I thought that I couldn't and was not pressed to try. To be honest I had no inclination to try. I had an easy ride. I was a skinny, scrawny kid (until puberty) why would I want to be involved in all that getting dirty, sweating & breathlessness? lol

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: I was FAT!!!! Not just a little fat but Significantly Obese at 200 lbs on my 5'2" frame & 38% bodyfat. After puberty my weight doubled in one year & from that day on I battled skinny/fat/skinny/fat. Spent 12 years in the throes of Bulima (Now 7 years recovered. Would be 19 but for one set-back in 2003), and finally ended up obese during my 2nd marriage. Funny, I thought being a good wife meant feeding ones husband gourmet foods all made from scratch (Granny was a pro pastry baker) & all I did was nearly kill both myself & my ex-husband. Sad but ended up being the best thing that happened to both of us.

Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: We actually started together and did pick it up fairly easily. Being open minded to change helps. So many women are in the position I was in that they had tried everything only to repeatedly fail but won't try the one thing that really works. In my case I was to the point where I was more afraid of living with my self-loathing than my fear of having people be disgusted by my being muscle-bound. I saw results fairly quickly because I was HUGE! lol We started with "Body For Life" for the diet & read all the muscle magazines for training, at least until we met IFBB Pro Dave Fisher.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I really liked the way I looked and I already knew I had the proper genetic shape.Heaven knows I wasn't built for the shape I'd tortured myself my whole life for not being. (Audrey Hepburn) I surely must be shaped right for something.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time?
A: Yes & no. My ex-husband, Patrick was incredibly supportive. The rest of the family thought it was a "cute" hobby I had going on.
Interesting story: In May, 2004 I became infected with MRSA in my right breast & was placed in quarantine to stop the infection from spreading and/or killing me. They removed my breast within hours of my arrival & the rest was a waiting game with constant visits from my doctor, the epidemiologist & the CDC while I fought it off. All I could think of was, A) I cant be dying. Its a BOOB! and B) I need to get out of here & train because Im competing for my pro card in November.
Patrick encouraged & reassured me that I would make it out in time to train. EVERYONE else, friends & family alike said things such as, "That's all nice. You've had a good run but don't ou think it's time to gt back to reality and focus on home & hearth?" "Maybe its time to quit."
I'm fighting for my life, I have one thing keeping me determined and my family invalidates that one thing and tells me to QUIT!????
I'm telling that story in comraderie & solidarity to all the other ladies with little support or understanding for the work we do & how much iot means to us.
In November of that year I went on stage in Dallas & won my pro card as a Middleweight with one tit (later reconstructed) and the only unanimous score of the women on stage that day. Boooyah baby!

Q: Was competing what you expected? Did anything surprise you about it?
A: Well the posing routines did, & always will scare the crap out of me but the rest not really. What did surprise me was the incredible community of persons involved in this sport. Since I have been in this sport I have met more people that I swear would drop everything for me & fly to my rescue without even knowing me well. And I would do the same for them. We look mean & scary but (unless you are asking a dumb question when we are carb depleted) you will never meet a nicer group of people nor any more supportive.

Q: You won your Pro card at 2004 National Bodybuilding Championships. What did winning your IFBB Pro card mean to you personally?
A: Honey, Bodybuilding gave me my self-esteem and saved my life. There are no words that can express the gratitude & joy I had in my heart on that day for being accepted into a group of the world's most phenominal women.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2001- Ironman Magazine Naturally- 1st Place Open & Novice LW
*2002- Border States Classic- Overall Open & Novice LW
*2002- Tournament Of Champions- Overall Open LW
*2003- NPC California Championships- 1st Place Open MW
*2003- NPC USA Championships- 1st Place LW
*2003- NPC National Championships- 12th Place LW
*2004- NPC National Championships- *earned Pro card- 1st Place MW
*2006- Atlantic City Pro- 11th Place
*2007- Europa Super Show- 9th Place LW
*2007- Atlantic City Pro- 7th Place LW
*2008- Atlantic City Pro- 9th Place
*2010- PBW Tampa Pro- 10th Place

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: Can't choose. I'm a symmetry girl. Per Steve Wennerstrom, I've got "a little bit of everything." I just need more of everything as well. lol

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train or favorite exercise?
A: Legs & Abs. Legs because I injured my knees the first year I was lifting & couldn't do legs for a year. I feel they are always 1 year behind. I WILL catch up. Abs because I do them to music and I love music.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like, and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A:
Mon. Delts & Calves
Tues. Hams & Abs
Wed. Back & Bi's
Thurs. Quads & Abs
Fri. Chest & Tri's
Off season cardio: 30-45 mins x 5 days ( gain fat easily because of previous weight)
Contest cardio: 1 hour to 3 hours x 7 days. LIIT Has to be low intensity due to low calories.
Off season diet: 1700-2000 calories
Contest diet: Whatever Palumbo tells me to do. lol Its been working so far.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: 98% positive. Once they've heard my story 100% positive. The negative ones aren't interested in taking the time to find out my story or anyone elses. They are only being mean because its all they've had in their life and its all they know. Oddly enough the majority of negative comments I get are from "hippy" types whom I thought professed NOT judging someone by the way they look and also obese women which is funny since I'm one of them. The truly interesting part is that when they do call me names its the same names & statements they used to hurt me when I was fat, therby proving two things...1) Women don't come in all shapes & all are beautiful 2) They really aren't attacking the way I look but my sense of confidence & their lack thereof.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Oh God!!! "DO YOU WORKOUT?" and "Don't piss her off! Teehee teehee!" That and people assuming that my workout partner is my trainer simply because he's a man. He is doing a set too & no one thinks I'm his trainer although of the two of us I am a trainer at that gym. DO they really think I can't decide which weight to pick up by myself????

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: We have not "quit" simply because we went off season. This is the HEALTHY PART. We are not getting "bigger" when we are shredding, quite the contrary. Most of the persons who come up to tell me how fat I've gotten off season have FAR more bodyfat than my whopping off season 19% but they still feel the need to share their disappointment at my clearly immense weight gain. LOL We aim to educate...yes we do! :.D

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: Best: ALL OF IT! But especially those few quiet seconds after I've shut the alarm off & I run my hands down my sides only to discover that each day I feel like a whole different person. Those moments when I am still supine and have to learn the curves of this new person under my skin. I wish I could share it but if you've never leaned out to that level, you'll never know. The worst comes moments after that when I have to sit up & feel the gravity impact my sore & tired back and my weight on my feet still throbbing the the previous days training & cardio and I remember that the glorious moment I just enjoyed comes with a defininte price. Other than that, not having enough time in the day.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: Lenda Murray, Betty Viana-Adkins, Cory Everson, Lisa Aukland

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Full breakfast with PANCAKES (Boysenberry & butter pecan syrup)

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Have fun. Don't rush it. Its not an instant gratification sport (The turtle wins the race) & don't be afraid to read the "boy" magazines.

Q: Do you think muscular women are becoming more accepted by society?
A: We're #1 baby!
http://www.asylum.com/2010/02/22/women-we-secretly-lust-over-ann-coulter-goths-geeks/
I adore that article. If more men would quit being chicken to admit they like us, and they clearly do, people would see that we've really been popular for a long time. Then more women would quit being worried that no man would be attracted to them muscular & we'd have more women in the sport.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activites you enjoy?
A: Other than the fact that my whole life is Bodybuilding...I dont really have time for other activities right now. I have 2 jobs that I work in 2 shifts each, 7 days per week & Im trying to move to the east coast this Spring. Busy, busy, busy. I do love to read, movies (no chick flicks!) museums, anything outdoors, boxing matches, and the nude beach. (Sorry, gotta be honest)

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Emery Miller.
A: Sure you want to go there????
5:00 am get up & either work cam or cardio
8:30-1200 go to gym to work clients
12:00 pm lunch, training, cardio, tanning ish....
3:00-6:00 pm train clients
7:30 pm dinner
8:00-10:30 work cam
11:00 pm protein shake & a lil tv
11:30 pm bed
That's the whole of it.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Ummmmmm? Gosh Im so open about everything I doubt there are many surprises waiting here. Oh yeah, I CAN be quiet for more than 5 minutes. LOL Ohhhh, and I don't want to receive anymore pictures of penis' by email. I'm truly only attracted to intellect. Send me a picture of genitalia would be the antithesis of that. :.D

Q: Describe Emery Miller in five words.
A: Difficult! Ohhhh not me! The question! LOL Ummmmm 1) Stubborn 2) Contemplative 3) Romantic 4) Silly 5) DORK!!!

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Move to the east coast so I can be closer to the pro shows, the community. Make some friends & start school for Physical Therapist. Make myself better so I can place higher at next years Tampa Pro.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Just all the hardworking ladies of our sport. Please remember guys, very few (1-2%) of us have any sponsors or endorsements. Contests & training are expensive. We need you. I'm not talking about monetary support although NOT asking for freebies would help, but to take the time to write to the magazines & tell them you want to see more of us. Be as tenacious and undaunting as we have to be when we train. Make them understand. DO NOT QUIT! We haven't.
My website will be back up & running soon just as soon as the updates are complete. Thank you

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so how can they reach you and what are they getting in Emery Miller the athlete and competitor?
A: YES! They are getting the most tenacious lil ankle biter of a competitor ever! I DON'T QUIT EVER! I work for what I have, I always have & I always will. If someone wants to help me they will NOT be sorry. Pro card in just 3 years of competing & with a heart condition...HELLO!!! LOL Seriously, Im a team player. I do need help and I would be grateful for any assistance I can get.
Emery@IFBBEmery.com
Ms. Emery Miller
P.O. Box 4321
Riverside, CA 92514-4321
USA

Q: Emery, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you. Also to Dave Fisher, Steve Wennerstrom, Joanna Thomas, Kim Miller, Patrick Miller, Uathach, Dave Palumbo, Melody Spetko, Tre Scott, Mike Eckstut, Jack Rozell and to all my friends and family in iron. I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment