Saturday, February 27, 2010

Michelle Russell Interview



I started this blog to help promote women in Bodybuilding, Fitness, and MMA. Get them some attention, attention they deserve. Michelle Russell is one woman who REALLY deserves some. Michelle is someone I respect so much, and am honored to have become friends with. She is an amazing and special woman. Michelle has give me some bodybuilding tips, and I know when i ask her, I am getting a good answer. Not only is Michelle beautiful, not only does Michelle have an amazing physique (highlighted by great biceps with incredible peaks), but Michelle is a sweet and kind woman. It is obvious from my words I am very fond of her. I think there are very few in the sport that can match her beauty, and very few who can match her physique. You can stare at those amazing arms, but take the time to look, and you can see the rest of the physique is incredibly impressive to. And like I said, Michelle is also one of the nicest people I know. One thing I like, is look at her stage photos, she always seems to have a smile on her face and enjoys what she is doing, evident by her wining Best Poser at both her competitions. Michelle is someone who as long as she stays with it, has everything it takes to be a very big name in bodybuilding. This is Michelle's first interview, and I am honored that I got to do it, but I can promise it won't be her last.





Q: First, Michelle, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. As you know I am a big admirer of yours.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I was born and raised in St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada. Live out West in British Columbia for 5 years and recently moved back to Ontario.

Q: Before bodybuilding, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Sure was.I was a rower for 6 years, winning gold medals at the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta in 1997, and Canada Cup 1997. I won over 80 gold medals in the 6 years, as well as travelling through the U.S. and Europe.
I was also on my high school ski team and was the Niagara Region over-all winner for down hill snowboarding.
Played field hockey for the Niagara Region team, 3 years of kickboxing, and I love outdoor sports.

Q: What initially led you into the gym, and was bodybuilding the goal from day one?
A: Rowing got me into the gym when I was 15. I was always interested in weights and used to workout with my older brother and his friends. I remember seeing one girl in the gym that was a bodybuilder and always though it would be amazing to look like that.


Q: Was weight training something you picked up fairly easy? How soon before you started to see results?
A: Weight training has always been easy for me. I started when I was 15, so it's hard to look back and remember when I saw results.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete?
A: I decided to do a show in February 2007 and walked on stage November 2007 for my first show.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: My family supported it right from the start. I have lost many friends since I started bodybuilding. I find for the most part, people don't understand "bodybuilding".


Q: Was the first show what you expected? Did anything surprise you?
A: I had a great time at my first show. I didn't really know what to expect, so I took it in stride.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
2007- Sandra Wickham Fall Classic- 3rd place and Best Poser
2009- BC Provincials- 3rd place and Best Poser


Q: I would put your biceps up against anyone's. To you, what is your best body part or the ones that gets the most compliments?
A: Of course my arms would be number one. I love my peaks. A lot of people compliments my shoulders and traps, and of course my butt.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training legs, but have a real hard time with leg days. I'd say back is one of my stronger training days.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I hope to get some help with that this year. I've been doing all my own diet and training and I think for myself, it's time to get myself a solid coach.

Q: When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: A fair bit of positive. Some people have nasty things to say, but I brush it off. I find most people are intimidated by my physique.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: "Wow, how much do you bench?" Soooo sick of hearing that one.LOL

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female bodybuilders, or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I find a lot of people ( especially guys) always say "I can't picture you in a dress." I'm still a girl, I wear heels, and VERY short shirts. Just cause I am built, does not make me any less of a woman than any other woman out there. I'm probably more "girlie" than anyone can imagine.

Q: Do you feel muscular women are more or less accepted by society today then five years ago?
A: I think it is becoming more and more accepted.

Q: Someone says "Women should not be that muscular." How do you respond?
A: I'm not sure I should write down what I usually say.

Q: I started this blog because of how unfair it is that the men in the sport seem to get so much more credit and coverage than the women. Do you ever see that changing, and what would it take?
A: Yes, that is very true. Unfortunately at this point in time, that is the way it is. I'm sure over time it will change.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Pizza. I love sweets, I have a major sweet tooth.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start bodybuilding, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: It will change your life. It will make you a stronger person inside and out on so many different levels.


Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I am very artistic. Love outdoor sports, beach, rollerblading, fishing, weekend get-a-ways.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Michelle Russell.
A: My life is pretty low key. I get up, make my meals, go to work, hit the gym, come home and putt around the house. I like to spend my weekends catching up with friends or relaxing.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I like very girlie things and love to fuss over people. I am really affectionate.

Q: Any favorite actors or movies, or music?
A: OMG the Rock is SO hot!! He's Just no Into You is a good movie. Music, I listen to all kinds of stuff.

Q: Any set plans coming up as far as competing or anything?
A: I have Ontario Provincials coming up, but I'm thinking about going another route.

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can the contact you?
A: Any help from a sponsor would be awesome. I can be reached on Facebook or my email at bitchnchickster@yahoo.com


Q: Again, Michelle, it has been an honor to have you do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for asking me to do this interview. It's the first one I have ever done. :-) I hope everyone enjoys.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing, Michelle has been my friend and trainer for almost a year now and she never ceases to amaze me, thanks for posting this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont thank me. Thank her for doing it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any clue what she meant by "go another route" instead of competing in the Ontario Provincials? I'm a big fan of hers.

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is a lovely lady with fantastic arms!! Everyone should be so lucky!

    ReplyDelete