Friday, February 19, 2010

Listy Allen Interview


She says it herself in this interview, but List Allen was born to be in the fitness industry. From competing in a bodybuilding show at age 14 to becoming the youngest IFBB Figure Pro, Listy has achieved things at such a young age, that women compete their whole lives for. Listy doesn't just go in the gym and lift. She is very intelligent and knows what she is doing. She knows the movements and what each one does. She is someone who it is just fact is going to be one of the top women in this industry for years and years to come. Top that off with the fact she is stunningly beautiful. She has done fitness modelling, and no doubt will be doing a lot more. Some people are involved in fitness, Listy is fitness. I was very happy when she agreed to do an interview. I hesitated for the longest time to ask her because I just didn't think she would be interested, and I had never talked to her before. Not only did she say yes, but she had me wishing I had asked and talked to her much earlier. Listy Allen is going to be a star, if she isn't one already.




Q: First, Listy, I want to thank you for taking the time out to do this.
A: Your welcome, it is my pleasure!

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself. Family,where you are from, things like that.
A: I am originally from Virginia. Both my parents were in the military, so I moved around a lot growing up.

Q: Before you started training, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: Yes, I played softball and soccer but track and field was my main sport.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: My parents were a big influence, especially my step-dad, Gary. Growing up Gary was my idol, he was always(and still is) health conscious and extremely active. I remember times in our garage, where he would weight lift, and he always asked me to spot him or do some exercises with him. It was at those moments that I fell in love with lifting weights. I felt strong and healthy and I wanted to pursue it ever since.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy? How long before you started to see results?
A: Yes, mentally and physically. I feel everybody is here for a purpose and this was mine. Knowing the science behind weight training, cardio, movement of the body and nutrition came really easy to me and my body reacted to it fairly quickly. When I started lifting religiously, I started seeing results within months.

Q: How long were you training when you decided to compete and what made you decide to compete?
A: My first bodybuilding show was when I was 14, a freshman in high school. And at that time I wasn't doing much weight lifting but I was involved in track, so I was already very lean and diet was clean. At my high school, they had posted the bodybuilding show flyer on the walls and a lot of my friends told me I should enter it so I did! It was meant to be!

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported at the time, and how about now?
A: I did think my family and friends supported it, but to be honest, I knew they didn't think I would go this far with it. Now, more than ever, I have all their support and they want to see me succeed in this industry and to make history!

Q: Was the first contest what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: For my first bodybuilding show I did not know what to expect, all I wanted to do was enjoy being up there on stage and I did just that! For my first figure show, the politics surprised me, I didn't know shows "could" be so political. (I put quotes around could because not all are political.) I thought the best physique/best overall package should win, not if you had ties with a judge or etc.

Q: Can you share your contest history.
A: Sure!
*2002 Leto High School Bodybuilding Championships; 1st place in Tall Division and Overall Winner
*2006 NPA Virginia State Figure Championships; 1st place in Tall Division.
*2006 NPC Florida State Championships; 5th place in Division C.
*2008 NPC GNC Max Naturals; 10th place in Division C.
*2009 NPC Fresno Classic; 1st place in Division C and Overall Winner
*2009 NPC Orange County Classic; 2nd place in Division C. *NATIONAL QUALIFIER*
*2009 NPC USA Championships; 1st place in Division D and Overall Winner. *EARNED IFBB PROFESSIONAL CARD!!!!! :-)


Q: What did it mean to you to win your Pro Card?
A: After winning my pro card I then realized I'm living my dream and there is no better feeling than to conquer your dreams.

Q: What do you consider your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: My glutes and my high lats.

Q: Do you have a favorite part to train or favorite exercise?
A: My glutes are my favorite bodypart to train and I have a few favorite exercise for them: abduction-sitting back and leaning forward, a reverse hack squat deadlift with a limited range of motion, a dumbbell leg curl with a buttlift, and wide walking lunges-plumping and pushing with the back glute!

Q: What is your normal training routine like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: Monday- Back/Triceps/Calves(am) and 30 min cardio(pm); Tuesdays and Thursdays- Cardio- 14-17 cycles of HIIT with an additional 20-30 mins of moderate intensity cardio after HIIT training and posing. Wednesday- Legs, hamstring dominant; Friday- Chest/Biceps/Calves(am) and 30 min cardio(pm); Saturday- Legs, quad dominant; Sunday- Shoulders and 30 min cardio. I will trade out any cardio with a spin class or running at Red Rocks(stadium stairs). The only thing that changes when prepping for a show is the amount of cardio will increase or the intensity increases.

Q: When someone sees or hears you train and compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: Usually it has been a positive reaction because they will approach me and ask if I do compete and when I tell them yes they will usually say " That's amazing! You will do extremely well, you have an amazing body" etc...


Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: Probably the comment, " So you are starving yourself and water depleting" and the fact is I do eat on my diet! I am not like some girls that only eat 50g of carbs a day, 20 g of fat(if that) and 3x their body weight in protein lol and I don't water deplete either. :) My diet is very detailed and keyed in with my body, as a natural competitor you have to do things different.

Q: Do you think more women are getting into the gym then five years ago?
A: Nope.

Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: The big thing people misunderstand about a figure competitor is that we do have to train and diet just as hard as a competitive bodybuilder or fitness competitor, it is just on another level. A lot of people don't give us enough respect. We do have to bust are ass just as hard and posing in heels is not the easiest either!

Q: What is the best and worst part of competing?
A: The best is the feeling of accomplishment and that I am able to transform my body to look its best. The worst is the smell of the tanning! hah

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: YES! A pint of coldstone ice cream- peanut butter cup perfection or the DOVE raspberry truffle ganache. and a footlong meatball sub!

Q: Are there any other competitors you are a fan of or admire?
A: Gina Aliotti and my coach Carl Frady, an IFPA Pro Bodybuilder.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: This is a lifestyle and it takes self-discipline and a lot of dedication but its also a choice, make sure you want to do this.

Q: You also work as a trainer. What got you interested in that?
A: The love of teaching people about their bodies and the way it moves. I have always been interested in the science behind it all, like I said earlier I was put on this earth to do what I am doing now, this is my purpose.

Q: If someone wanted to be trained by you, how can they contact you and what are the benefits of being trained by Listy Allen?
A: I train at 24 hour fitness in Lakewood, CO. The green mountain club. Contact info is 3039882444 or email fitmissla@yahoo.com. I do online training as well. The benefits: learning about your body, my programs are very detailed and everything is explained to the maximum. Everybody's program is different b/c every body is different and reacts different. You will see results with your program and its not just a diet and training guide, it is a change of lifestyle.

Q: Outside of training, and other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Mountain biking, camping, fishing, dancing and eating.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lisy Allen.
A: I work a split shift usually 6-11 am, then 3-8 pm my workout is in the middle of my day and my cardio is after 8 pm.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: That I am only 21 and I have a lot of knowledge about what I do for such a young age. Not just competing but personal training as well.


Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show,and musician?
A: Favorite movie is The Last Samurai and favorite musician is Jewel.

Q: Describe Listy Allen in five words.
A: Passionate, Dedicated, Intelligent, Respectful, Hardworker.

Q: Any set plans for the future as far as competing or anything else?
A: Set plans is to compete in the upcoming 2010 Phoenix Pro Show, the Europa in Orlando, the California Pro Figure and hopefully qualify for the Olympia.

Q: Anything you want to take this opportunity to plug or promote?
A: Would like to promote myself as a fitness model. I am looking to do work for various photographers and magazines. I would like to one day have a spread in Flex magazine, oxygen, muscular development, glutes etc. and get a few covers too. :)

Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they contact you and what are they getting in Listy Allen the athlete and competitor?
A: Yes I am looking for sponsors! I am a young competitor I have no other way but up from here, as the years go by my physique, my look, my intelligence is just going to get better. I am a striver, a believer and a go getter, you will get a athlete that can promote your business and generate sales.

Q: Again, Listy, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: Thank you for your time Jason, I really appreciate you giving me this opportunity to promote me and my business. And thank you fans, family and friends for all the positive support. Keep the positive vibes coming, I have faith that this will be a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment