Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Gail Auerbach Interview

Gail Auerbach is one of the first people I became friends with on Facebook. Meeting many of these women of Facebook is what inspired this blog. In that time I have found Gail to be an amazing woman. Intelligent, beautiful, and always polite. Gail is one of those people who can be a huge success in bodybuilding if she wants to. Her physique is highlighted by an amazing back. I ask you to get to know Gail, and see why I find her to be such an amazing woman.

Q: Gail, first, I want to thank you for taking the time to do this. I am a big fan.

Q: Can you start out by telling a little bit about yourself. Family, where you are from, things like that.
A: I am from Chicago, Illinois. I have two brothers and two sisters. I currently live in Arlington Heights, Illinois. I just bought my first condo and everything inside it.

Q: I know you have a Master's in Educational Administration and are pursuing your Ph.D in Special Education. What got you interested in that, and what are your long terms goals in the field?
A: I am hoping after my Ph.D to become a National Board Certified teacher in the state of Illinois.... I would like to teach Special Education resources or RTI and eventually become an assistant Principal after establishing a family life.

Q: Were you an especially athletic or active person before you started training. Play in any sports?
A: I played a lot of sports, including softball, ran track and cross country, and soccer. I owned two horses and competed with them jumping.

Q: I believe you are one of the more beautiful women in the sport. Does that ever affect your training. Does it make it harder to train and worry about guys bothering you?
A: The gym I workout at is the MECCA for Illinois bodybuilding, so I tend to be left alone and allowed to focus on training.

Q: What got you interested in training and bodybuilding to begin with?
A: I did a show called Greek Physique at Northern Illinois University and loved the lifting and competing. I have always enjoyed muscular physiques. When I graduated I started working out just to stay healthy and met people who competed. I decided to see how I would do at a local level show, so I started lifting to put on size in 2007.

Q: What made you decide to compete?
A: I wanted to challenge myself to accomplish something besides what I was doing currently in my career. I loved competing in college and started researching the NPC. I like how individual the sport is.

Q: Was your first competition what you expected or did anything surprise you?
A: I was surprised at how hard it was to diet and do 2 hours of cardio a day. I thought that bodybuilding was a lifestyle in the off season and was surprised when it was my whole life when I was prepping for a show.

Q: Was competing something your family and friends supported.
A: My family has always been wonderful and supported everything I have done in my life, whether they approved of it or now. They asked a lot of questions at first because they truly had no clue. I think they were worried when I dieted that I was losing too much weight to fast, but they learned that is how it has to be!

Q; Can you share your contest history.
A: *2007-NPC Midwest Ironman-local show-Chicago Illinois-Open, Novice, and Overall Champion
*2009- Jr USA's- Charleston, South Carolina-1st in Middleweight class and Overall Champion

Q: Do you have any other bodybuilders you are a fan of or admire?
A: Anyone that has gone pro! I know it takes a lot to get there! I especially love Colette Nelson and idolize her. I am a huge fan of Michael Liberatore, who when living in Chicago, I was honored to train with. At the gym I workout at, there are many other competitors who inspire and motivate me. I admire each of them for different reasons.

Q: Do you keep track of measurements?
A: I do track my measurements monthly to track my progress along with keeping tabs on my bodyfat.

Q: What do you feel is your best bodypart or the one that gets the most compliments?
A: My back

Q: Do you have a favorite par to train or favorite exercise?
A: I love training shoulders, arms, and back.

Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like and how do you alter it for contest prep?
A: I train 5-6 days a week. Dave has me on an off season diet to gain size. When it is time to diet my whole diet changes to a lot less food and 5 meals instead of 6. My cardio increases and I only train 5 days a week.

Q; When someone sees your physique for the first time, what is the most common response? More negative or positive?
A: Negative! Most people think muscle on a girl is unsexy. I get a lot of stares and people whisper comments to others around them.

Q: When they see it that first time, what is the one question you are sick of hearing?
A: "Do you work out?" I want to respond with "Do you think before you speak?"

Q: Are there any misconceptions about muscular women, or things you wish people knew?
A: I wish they knew how hard we work to look the way we do, and how difficult of a lifestyle it is. I wish men weren't intimidated by us. It makes dating a challenge.

Q: Someone says to you "women should not be that muscular.", how do you respond to them?
A: My mother taught me that if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.... so I thank them for their opinion and say :It is better than being fat and unhealthy."I have been very critical of the judging in the sport. Do you think it is o.k., or is there anything you would like to see changed?
A: I would like to see physiques and conditioning matter more than how pretty a girl's face is.

Q: Do you think female bodybuilders are more accepted by society today than 5 years ago?
A: Nope.

Q: If someone came up to you and said they wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would want to give them?
A: Consistency is key!

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: Peanut butter, sushi, ribs, Mc Donalds, and Taco Bell.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy reading, ice hockey, playing the guitar, writing poetry, and love music!

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Gail Auerbach.
A: When dieting it is much different than the off season. When I have to do morning cardio, I get up at 5AM to get it done, get ready in 30 minutes and head to work. After teaching all day I go back to the gym for another hour of cardio and lift for an hour. Then I go home, cook and pack my meals, get my schoolwork done and head to bed to do it all over again! I usually run a day from 5AM -8PM when dieting. When not, I run a 6AM-8PM day. I do my cardio at night in the off season a few days a week.

Q: Favorite actor, movie, TV show, and musician.
A: Actor- Samuel Jackson
TV show= Grey's Anatomy, Dexter. Don't watch a ton of TV, more of a music fan. When I do watch TV I prefer movies.
Musician- TOOOOOOOOOO many to name one!!

Q: Describe Gail Auerbach in five words.
A: Dedicated, Hard Working, Easy Going, OCD, and Determined

Q: Any set plans for 2010 as far as competing or any other projects?
A: Jr. Nationals in Chicago in June.

Q: We know how important sponsors are to the sport. Is that something you are looking for. If so, how can they contact you.
A: YES!! I would love a sponsor! I just want it to be a good fit for both them and I! They can contact me via email GHAuerbach@yahoo.com.

Q: Gail, I truly do thank you for taking the time to do this. I am a big fan, and think you have the potential to become very big in the sport. Any last words before you go?
A: I want to thank my training partners Suzanne Germano and Chase Sowden. They encourage, support, and keep me pushing each and every day. Even though I hate them in the gym, they have become incredible friends and special people in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment