Sunday, June 10, 2018
UFC 225: Whittaker vs Romero Results
UFC 225 took place on June 9th from Chicago, Illinois. The Main Event was originally set to be for the Middleweight Title. However challenger Yoel Romero missed weight and the bout was no longer for the title. Champion Robert Whittaker took a close decision from Romero. Whittaker started out strong, winning the stand-up game mainly due to output. As the fight wore on, Romero began to find his grove and made it a close fight with Whittaker taking the decision. In women's action, in a bout years in the making, Claudia Gadelha took a very close decision from Carla Esparza with the crowd booing the result heavily. Esparza showing improved striking dropped Gadelha in round one but the round ended with Gadelha looking for a choke. Round two was all Gadelha getting takedowns and landing strikes. Round three saw Esparza take over doing what Gadelha did to her in round two, but it was too late according to two of the three judges. Also, Holly Holm took a dominant decision from promotion newcomer Megan Anderson. Anderson came out quick landing strikes but from there on the story of the fight was Holm getting takedowns and Anderson unable to escape. Here are all your results and our Of The Night Awards.
1. Featherweight: Dan Ige (9-2) defeated Mike Santiago (21-12) via TKO at :50 of Round 1.
2. Lightweight: Charles Oliveira (23-8, 1NC) defeated Clay Guida (34-15) via Tapout (Guillotine Choke) at 2:18 of Round 1.
3. Flyweight: Sergio Pettis (17-3) defeated Joseph Benavidez (25-5) via Split Decision (28-29/29-28/30-27). We scored it 29-28 Benavidez.
4. Light Heavyweight: Anthony Smith (29-13) defeated Rashad Evans (24-8-1) via KO at :53 of Round 1.
5. Heavyweight: Chris De La Rocha (5-2) defeated Rashad Coulter (8-4) via TKO at 3:53 of Round 2.
6. Featherweight: Mirsad Bektic (13-1) defeated Ricardo Lamas (18-7) via Split Decision (29-28/28-29/30-27). We scored it 29-28 Bektic.
7. Strawweight: Claudia Gadelha (16-3) defeated Carla Esparza (14-5) via Split Decision (29-28/28-29/29-28). We scored it 29-28 Esparza.
8. Heavyweight: Curtis Blaydes (10-1, 1NC) defeated Alistair Overeem (43-17, 1NC) via TKO at 2:56 of Round 3.
9. Welterweight: Mike Jackson (1-1) defeated CM Punk (0-2) via Unanimous Decision (30-26/30-26/30-26). We scored it 29-27 Jackson.
10. Heavyweight: Tai Tuivasa (10-0) defeated Andrei Arlovski (27-16, 1NC) via Unanimous Decision (29-28/29-28/29-28). We scored it 30-27 Tuivasa.
11. Featherweight: Holly Holm (12-4) defeated Megan Anderson (8-3) via Unanimous Decision (30-27/30-26/30-26). We scored it 29-28 Holm.
12. Welterweight Title: Colby Covington (14-1) defeated Rafael Dos Anjos (28-10) via Unanimous Decision (49-46/48-47/48-47). We scored it 49-46 Covington.
13. Middleweight: Robert Whittaker (21-4) defeated Yoel Romero (13-3) via Split Decision (47-48/48-47/48-47). We scored it 48-47 Romero.
Submission of the Night: Charles Oliveira
Knockout of the Night: Anthony Smith
Fight of the Night: Robert Whittaker vs Yoel Romero