Monday, March 21, 2011

Jennifer Chapman Interview


Very excited about this interview with Jennifer Chapman. I love it when a competitor tells me to seek out and interview another competitor. Its a show of respect. In Jennifer's case, I had two different competitors tell em to interview Jennifer, and as soon as I saw her photos, I knew why. I was so impressed with her. I saw a woman who can do big things. Then after reading this interview I knew even more, why they suggested her, and you will to.




Q: First Jennifer, thanks for taking the time to do this.
A: Thank you for contacting me. It's cool that you want to help promote women in Fitness.

Q: Can you stat out by telling a little about yourself.
A: My name is Jennifer Chapman and I am living in Dallas, Texas. I grew up in the dreadfully cold Minot, North Dakota. I found that I stayed out of trouble by involving myself in sports. I finally moved to Florida and fell in love with the heat. Eventually, I made my was to Texas and I love it here. I love to travel and hope to compete as much as I can this year. I am currently a NPC National Bikini competitor with the Bikini Rockstars and train with Jeffrey Dwelle and Greg McCoy.

Q: Before the gym, were you an especially athletic person? Play any sports?
A: I have always loved athletics. It started when I was a young girl climbing trees, playing football and kickball with the boys and jumping from second story buildings just for fun. I played organized sports in school and then stuck with track and field. I ended up getting a scholarship as a collegiate track and field athlete at Troy State University where I earned my Bachelor of Science degree. I was captain of the women's team when we won our conference.

Q: What initially led you into the gym?
A: In the 7th grade my track coach was also a football coach. He felt that I could be stronger in track if I got into the weight room and we were trying to get my weight above 100lbs. I was a sprinter and jumper so I added heavy weights with plyometrics to my routine. I am forever grateful for the knowledge I learned from my coaches. I continued to work with the weights and even took weight lifting as a class in high school. I was the only girl in the class and I was still close to only 100 pounds but my best barbell squat with reps was 225 pounds as a 17 year old.


Q: Was training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Training was easy for me. It's the diet that I have always had a problem with. I used to be very picky with food except junk food. I never touched seafood or green vegetables and now I at least eat a few things that work with the competition diet, no salmon though. Once I started to follow the diet I was so surprised how food affected me. When I put certain foods back in my diet I could see it pump up my vein or burn my tongue. I knew water was important but always thought that I drank enough. I thought that I could eat what I wanted and just exercise more, but I had to incorporate the diet to do well at the National level.

Q: What made you decide to compete for the first time?
A: I was in the gym and was asked in I competed. I really had no idea that this sport was so available to me. I had seen the men and women bodybuilders but I was not even close to being in that kind of shape. Someone suggested the Europa in Dallas and I started looking online and found an enormous amount of information for amateurs and realized that I could pursue this for fun and make my goals for myself to re-motivate my life.

Q: Is competing something your family and friends supported?
A: I am overwhelmed by the support by my friends and family. They have always been by my side from day one and continued to push me past my goals. Even my husband, Isaac Chapman, has decided to pursue the new Men's Physique division. I can't wait for him to be on the same stage as me.

Q: Was competing what you expected or did anything surprise you about it?
A: This sport can be as expensive as you want it. There are a lot of options and upgrades to consider. The cost took me by surprise but it can be done.
I was surprised how it has changed me as a person. I feel like I have the the "girl" in me out a little more. I use to be more of a plain Jane and I have learned makeup and hair tricks, how to pose and model a little. Most of the girls are nice backstage with a few exceptions. I try not to hold it against them because this is still a competition and usually you'll find out how nice everyone really is after pre-judging.


Q: Can you share your contest history.
A:
*2010- Ronnie Coleman Classic- Mesquite, Texas- 4th Bikini Class A
*2010- West Texas Classic- Lubbock, Texas- 5th Bikini Class A
*2010- USA's- Las Vegas, Nevada- 4th Bikini Class B
*2010- Europa- Dallas, Texas- 3rd Bikini Class A
*2010- Jr. USA's- Stafford, Texas- 2nd Bikini Class B
*2010- Nationals- Atlanta, Georgia- 10th Bikini class B
*2011- IFBB Arnold Amateur- Columbus, Ohio- 9th Bikini Class C

Q: As far as body parts, what do you feel is your best one?
A: I think my legs/glutes are the best part. I am still building my calves up, but the upper half of my legs are strong.

Q: Do you have a part you most like to train?
A: I really enjoy working legs. I am starting to work upper body a little more than I used to. I can't seem to find the joy in an ab workout. I'm trying and this is the first year that I have a little cut in the abs. I always had a flat stomach during track but no six pack. This year I will suck it up and just work through it.


Q: What is your normal training routine and diet like?
A: I train weights 4-6 times a week and cardio 5-6 times and this really doesn't change much with a competition. I would probably do a little more cardio but now that I am back in shape it isn't much. When I started competing I lost 20 pounds and now I have to try and find that balance of working out too much or too little. Bikini is all over the place and certain show I have come in hard and soft and still placed. I have learned to work out and have fun with it and if it's my time then it's my time. My diet is high protein and moderate carbs.

Q: When someone sees your physique or hears you compete for the first time, what is the most common reaction? More positive or negative?
A: I get the "Really??" Some people I know don't understand what I have to do on stage. Some think that I have a routine to do and then I tell them that I just pose, they don't see it as exciting. It's all about the prep work and getting a chance to "show off." My friends and family are real supportive but still give me corrective criticism. If it is something that I can actually change then I work on it. It's hard to fix preference that's not fixable.

Q: When they see or hear it that first time, what is the one question or comment you are most sick of hearing?
A: I get tired of others saying that I'm too skinny because I usually have on concealing clothes, except at the gym. I am back to the weight that I was in my 20's and feel stronger and healthier than ever.. I do wish that when I lost weight it wouldn't have pulled from my face but that is just how diets are. There is no "spot" treatment.


Q: What is the biggest misconception about women who train and compete or the one thing you wish people understood?
A: I think that everyone has their preferences on muscularity on females. I think some are scared to be too bulky and others don't want to be too soft. I think women should train how they want to look and not how others want them to. I compete in Bikini because I want to, not because I have to and I'm sure it's the same with all the divisions.

Q: What is the best and worst part of training for you?
A: The best part is looking hot in photos and the feeling of self accomplishments. The worst part is morning workout and early pre-judging. I am not a morning person at all. Another thing I have to work on this year is sleep. I can't seem to get to bed early enough to enjoy the morning workouts.

Q: Do you have any favorite competitors or any you admire?
A: I got to meet Jamie Eason at the Arnold Amateur and found that she is so personable and beyond beautiful. I also love my local Pros Stacey Thompson and Jennifer Pimental. I have so many more and could go on and on but any woman that can juggle life the way that we do is number 1 in my book.

Q: Do you have a favorite cheat food?
A: I love Very Cherry Jelly Beans and pizza. I wish I could say something healthy and clean but I'm like a kid in a candy store for these items.

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to start training, what is the one piece of advice you would most want to give her?
A: Set goals and make plans that you can keep and then set a goal that you never thought you could do. Fitness is a lifestyle and competitions just give you a stage to show off the self discipline that you have completed.

Q: Do you think it is becoming more common to see women working in the gym with weights and not just doing cardio and things?
A: I see a huge difference in the gym. The women that chose weights walk with a little more confidence in their step and I think its great. If someone has questions about the weights they should ask. I don't have a problem helping someone because we have all had to start somewhere. Even if I recommend them to my favorite trainer at least I'm helping.

Q: Outside of training, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: I enjoy watching movies and reality tv. I like it because I deal with people on a regular basis and it's nice to just laugh and think that life can be a fantasy sometimes.

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Jennifer Chapman.
A: Wake up, eat, workout, eat, work, eat, eat, eat, sleep. Boring right?? I need to get out more.

Q: Describe Jennifer Chapman in five words.
A: Hard working, Honest, Ambitious, Fair, and Compassionate.

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: I'm actually a modest person.

Q: Any set plans for the near future as far as competing or anything?
A: I plan on he National competitions. So far its USA and Team U for sure and I would love to do the Junior shows but I have to make sure its either sponsored or I can work it into my budget. Remember, my husband will be competing as well so it will cost us even more this year. I am also planning to get my fitness certifications to I can start to train others. I will continue to send in submissions for fitness modeling.

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: I would love for everyone to join my fan page on Facebook. And check out my website www.alphagirlfitness.com. My sponsors that just got me through the 2011 Arnold Amateur were www.lockoutsupplements.com, www.cynthia-james.com and www.silverbackkrew.com and I hope to continue to work with them in the future.


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so what are they getting in Jennifer Chapman the athlete and competitor?
A: I am all about representing professional businesses that are in good standing with their customers. I would love to have more sponsors that I would represent and they would represent me as well. They have to have a high standard of excellence and mission statements that I can be proud of. I have a website that they can put their ad on and I am awesome with getting the word out on the social networks. I have several contacts that respect whom I recommend because I don't work with shady companies.

Q: Jennifer, again, I thank you for taking the time to do this. Any last words before you go?
A: I totally recommend competing and also say use caution. Know what you're paying for, read the model releases and lookout for perpetrators They are far and in between all of the great people and athletes that you are going to meet. Just know that success isn't measured by the material things in life but how you feel. Have fun with it and get focused, it is a competition.

2 comments:

  1. There is such a plethora of information in your interview. It is so refreshing to see that such a beautiful model can inspire others to be successful. I especially like the advice you give to aspiring models. I am so proud that you are a member of ModelsActresses International.
    Careyann

    ReplyDelete