Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lalani Malley-Macao Interview


At a recent NAAFS show I had the pleasure of watching Lalani Malley-Macao fight. I was told beforehand that I was going to be impressed and like her. That was very accurate. I was incredible impressed. Lalani has a clear passion and love for the sport, and that passion is going to take her very far. Fighting goes back her her family she says, and she wants her Grandfather to be proud of her. Seeing her in the cage, I am positive he is, and seeing the person she is, I am sure he is proud of that. Get to know a future star by reading this interview




Q: First, Lalani I want to thank you for taking the time to do this.
A: No, Problem ^_^

Q: Can you start out by telling a little about yourself.
A: I am a Filipino-American girl who was born in Oregon and raised in North Carolina.
I went to high school and college in Cebu,Philippines. I grew up in a Christian home and was taught to fight for what I believe in, and bring honor to my family.

Q: Were you especially athletic growing up? Play any sports?
A: Honestly, I wasn't athletic, I was a bit shy and loved to do ballet,but because I didn't have confidence in it I stop doing and started training in Karate-Judo. I wasn't good at that either...But I had a dream to be like my grandfather and Bruce Lee...a Martial arts master!

Q: What initially got you started training for MMA?
A: Memories of my grandfather, I am the only left in the family to carry on the martial way. I want him to look down from heaven and be proud of me.Plus I really do enjoy putting myself to the test physically ..everyday...it makes me happy

Q: Was the training something you picked up fairly easy?
A: Training is never easy! I literally have to pick myself up and DO IT!
My body is constantly sore, everyday is a pep pep prep talk .

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: I trained 1 yr and half. I didn't want to go in not feeling ready


Q: Was fighting something your family and friends supported?
A: Yes, they support it because its in my blood, we go far far back
in martial arts and fighting in general. So they are all thrilled to see
me have a great passion for fighting

Q: Where do you train at now?
A: I train at American Martial Art Academy in Winston-Salem NC aka Team One

Q: Can you give your overall record so far.
A: Currently 3-0

Q: Which fight so far is the one you are most proud of?
A: My fight with Nikita last Sat. She is one tuff Cookie! she is going to go far soon if she keeps training hard!

Q: I saw you fight recently and you seemed a bit emotional after the win. Is there any specific reason or just an emotional person?
A: I was emotional cause I killed myself everyday prepping for this fight, I lost a job, an uncle,went in with two jacked up feet and had a little break-up ...i don't know...But I did just knew that, nothing is going to stop me, I am hungry and I want to be successful, so all those things happened for a reason,it was to make me a stronger and better person.

Q: What would you say is your biggest strength and the one thing you most want to improve?
A: My strength is my drive to be better all round, I just can't choose one thing to improve , I want to do it all!

Q: What is the best and worst part of training and competing in the sport?
A: The best part is punching some in the face the worst part is all the due's you got to pay to fight and waiting on the boxing comm. lets just say I want to eat asap after weigh ins cus my cuts are 20-25 everytime

Q: Are there any fighters you are a fan of or love to watch?
A: Bj Penn, Manny Pac., Mark Munoz,Cyborg, Jose Aldo and Ben "Smooth"Henderson


Q: In your opinion, who are the top five female fighters in the sport pound for pound?
A: Cris Cyborg Santos, Megumi Fujii, Tara Larosa, Sarah Kaufman , and Julia Budd

Q: Do you ever see a major U.S. women's only company being viable?
A: I don't know, I honestly just don't see tons of lady's who want to throw down.I do see us being the main event more frequently in the future though

Q: Often you watch a show that has one women's fight. Somehow that fight always turns out to be the most exciting fight on the card. Why do you think that is?
A: I think because we just don't see girl fight enough. Plus being a female I'm like yes, I am not the only girl in the world who wants to throw down! But I love fighting in general regardless on the gender...I just don't see much of a difference, someone getting punch ...is the same regardless of gender..EXCITING!

Q: What is the biggest misconception about female fighters?
A: That we are bad bitches....and tuff and so damn independent, and my answers for these are YES, YES, and YES...and then some!

Q: If another woman told you she wanted to train for the sport, whats the biggest piece of advice you would give her?
A: Get ready to dedicate your life to this sport!

Q: Outside of training and fighting, any other hobbies or activities you enjoy?
A: Origami...human Origami hehehe j/k , cooking ,working out and whenever , someone asks me I LOVE getting some coffee and just bs with someone

Q: Can you describe a typical day in the life of Lalani Malley-Mancao.
A: Well, up at 5:30 at work 7-10 then I go to one of my other 2 jobs from either 11-3 or 12-5... at the gym by 4-9 30, or 5 30-9 Monday-Friday. then sat work 12-5 then at the gym 6-9...Sunday church 10-12 then training 6-8...did I mention I sleep sometimes!

Q: What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: Past my tuff exterior I'm loyal kind warm and full of life.

Q: Describe Lalani Malley-Macao in five words.
A: Dork,Funny, Spiritual, Insane, HAPPY

Q: So whats next for you? Any idea when you will be fighting again?
A: Yeah I think February and then April and hopefully a pro debut summer of 2011

Q: Anything you want to take this time to plug or promote?
A: Scrap Fightwear!!!! and Team One in Winston-Salem!


Q: Are you looking for sponsors? If so, how can they reach you and what are they getting in Lalani Malley-Macao the fighter and person?
A: Heck YEAH! If you want to reach a dorky person like me hit me up on facebook Lalani-Malley-Mancao or email me Lychee87@Rocketmail.com

Q: Lalani again, I want to thank you for doing this. Any last words before you go?
A: Aloha and thank you I love you Jesus! and I love my family and everyone who supports me and even all the haters...without you guys I wouldn't have such and intense drive!

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you,"Lalani". Training with you is a blessing. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lalani, this is awesome!!! I am proud of you and continue to stay focus!!!! You are going to go far!!! God bless you! :)

    LaTisha

    ReplyDelete